Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-25-2010, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't like the straps either! The gate would really suffer if they weren't there though...

Just normal plywood. 3/4 inch!

In that pic, I do not have my landscape tarp over the box. The middle of the top is open for venting. Bungeed tight, then staple gunned around the opening.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Member

I wish they made a special cover for the units when not in service and when traveling. I might have to make a special one myself.

Can't decide on whether to mount it in the front or back! Anyone else have theirs on the front of the trailer with feedback?
Old 10-27-2010, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectEarth View Post
There are other decent pics of my leaf trailer in my pic thread...just search "Perfect Earth" in thread titles and you can see a few examples of my dump/vac setup.

Just assembled it again today and filled it up in 2 hours!

I'll post this pic from a few years ago- it's the same as today. I mount the Billy Goat 18 hp on the swing barn gate of the trailer. It's heavy on the door- and that worried me- BUT, I use the two ratchet straps and tie the weight to box. It's a huge help. To dump, I just undo the straps, swing the gate and vac away, strap that to the trailer, and the plywood gate swings away. Perfect dump everytime.

I have used a setup on the control box and I like mine 10x better. Access to piles is so much easier.

I park my trailer under the pole barn at the shop to keep the rain off. I find the Billy Goat it very bitchy... If it gets rained on, I have to blow out all the fuel lines and dump the gas. With any vac, keep it CLEAN! I take the tank off and get all the grime and dust out about every week. Filter gets hit daily.
SO, do you have to unhook all that when you go dump, I can see if you dump 3x a month but if your doing a dump a day, that can get old. I have seen the loader in front of the trailer and it staying on when you go dump but im sure the trailering gets hairy with clearance so i dont know what position is best, front or rear. I am guessing you have someone to help take that off when you go dump ??
Old 10-27-2010, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I used to run the exact same setup with my 7 x 12 Bri-Mar trailer but my loader is the 16HP Billy Goat. Same unit but they changed the motor. I dind't run any straps and the gate handled it just fine. They're pretty sturdy.

A friend of mine has his mouted on the front of the trailer and I've worked with him and I can't stand it there. I feel pinned in and clastorphobic working in the space between the truck and trailer. To me it's like working in a closet.

You just swing the gate open with the unit still on and tie it back to dump.

Just noticed how short your vertical piece is. I thought they came stock with a taller one like mine.

Last edited by Darryl G; 10-27-2010 at 11:08 AM. Reason: added part about dumping
Old 10-27-2010, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You should get a brace made that bolts onto the frame of your trailer under the door for the loader to sit on. That's what I would do, probably only cost you $50 or so.

Husqvarna 32in WB
Echo SRM-230
Echo PE-230
Echo PB-770t
Giant Vac

I mean after all we're not working in the panty section at Wal-Mart.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn & Order LLC View Post
SO, do you have to unhook all that when you go dump, I can see if you dump 3x a month but if your doing a dump a day, that can get old. I have seen the loader in front of the trailer and it staying on when you go dump but im sure the trailering gets hairy with clearance so i dont know what position is best, front or rear. I am guessing you have someone to help take that off when you go dump ??
As Darryl said, you just swing the gate back to the side, with the vac on it, and I ratchet strap it to the side of the trailer to dump. Don't have to take the vac off. Dumping takes 4-5 minutes.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Member

I too was wondering about the short "up-pipe" to the discharge. The lenght of the stock one was going to be an issue when I mounted in the front because I have to mount the unit high enough to clear the lid when I open it to get to the dump controls.

The swing away mounted to the trailer (not the barn door) might be the way to go. Might have to fab something up.

Anyone got close ups of what they have fabbed?
Old 10-27-2010, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonStop View Post
I wish they made a special cover for the units when not in service and when traveling. I might have to make a special one myself.

Can't decide on whether to mount it in the front or back! Anyone else have theirs on the front of the trailer with feedback?
i have seen one guy with a cover for his but i dont know if it was specially made for him or not
61'' Scag V-Ride 29 HP Kawi
48" Exmark Lazer Z HP
48'' Bobcat Ransome Mower
21'' Husqvarna Mower
Stihl FS55R Weedwacker
Stihl FS100RX Weedwacker
Stihl BR600 Backpack Blower
Stihl MS180C Chainsaw
Giant Vac Walk Behind Blower
Kawasaki KHT600S Hedge Trimmer
Giant Vac 16HP Leaf Loader
Old 10-27-2010, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think you're concerns about mounting on the barn door are unfounded...well exaggerated anyway. It's not gonna bend or break it. It can't really go anywhere. You could always put a latch of some sort on the top between the two doors to tie them together and give it a bit more lateral strength. Those doors are a heck of a lot heavier duty than a pickup truck trail gate, which is what those units are designed to hang on. I had mine there with no problem, not that I used it extensively.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Member

2 things to increase the efficiency of that trailer... 1- add 1.5 inch black poly pipe as hoops to increase height for larger capacity.. can easily gain 3-4 ft and 2- raise discharge shoot. More capacity, less trips to dump = more profit$$$$