Register free!

Old 10-12-2010, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Sod Installation Question

Guys, time are tough here in the midwest... Our area is 13 inches behind on rainfall, so i'm out looking for work. I'm in the process of bidding a sod job. But, I've never put down sod before. The job is 32,000sf and mostly open areas. I'm figuring 80% large rolls (42"X100" Machine applied) and 20% small rolls applied by hand. all the ground is flat. There are a few sidewalks and trees to be sodded around.

I'm considering an inexperienced crew of three and a tractor and operator. (i don't have access to much more). How long will this take us? Are there any Methods i should be aware of?

Thanks a ton guys
Old 10-13-2010, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Member

No Help? Come on guys.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brvoges View Post
No Help? Come on guys.
I don't do a lot of sod, but it is essentially the same as planting seed. Prep your soil as you would if you were just planting seed, which here means tilling, aerating or any mechanical means to disturb the soil sufficiently so that the sod will root. Sod will not root well if at all on hardpan. I know very few who do this but the next thing would be to use a lawn roller to make sure you have GOOD soil/sod contact. 32K is not a lot of area to roll. Can be done in less than an hour. Or you can use the building contractor method of flooding the lawn daily for 2 weeks. I personally "love" this method as it turns the half inch of topsoil on top of the hardpan into jello and the sod slides around underneath any mower used to cut the by now 12 inch stand of grass. If you have a crew of three, I would think you could do it in a day.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

After you finish grading you're going to want to make sure most of the rocks roots and other debris are gone. This step require hand raking with a dirt rake. Use the same rakes to align sod while u are rolling it out. Take your time its not a race. Oh and your gonna need a few sharp machetes. Hope this helps.
Posted via Mobile Device