Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-12-2010, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Planting seed late for CT? ASAP!

I have talked to my customer last month about reseeding the back and there is a huge spot in the front that has to be seeded. There lawn isn't treated and about 5-10% of the lawn is burnt still over the harsh drought we had. They never watered there lawns as well. Now they care about there lawn (rolling my eye's).

I know the latest to grow grass and have it successfully survive the winter is to grow no later then a week or two after labor day. Now she wants to give me the go. I am just worried it's kind of late. The temps say the lowest will be in the upper 40's and around day will be 50's -60's for the next 10 days. But we all know how the weather is wrong.

"Money & Power leads to Greed and usually ends with Corruption."

" I don't blame our industry to be looked down at because most of the people either couldn't keep a stable job or were criminals."

" A LEADER will always have more haters than a FOLLOWER."
Old 10-12-2010, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i just slice seeded a big yard yesterday.
2010 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2009 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
Hurricane blower video Here
Old 10-12-2010, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks Gold pro again :-)

"Money & Power leads to Greed and usually ends with Corruption."

" I don't blame our industry to be looked down at because most of the people either couldn't keep a stable job or were criminals."

" A LEADER will always have more haters than a FOLLOWER."
Old 10-12-2010, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloscaperman View Post
I have talked to my customer last month about reseeding the back and there is a huge spot in the front that has to be seeded. There lawn isn't treated and about 5-10% of the lawn is burnt still over the harsh drought we had. They never watered there lawns as well. Now they care about there lawn (rolling my eye's).

I know the latest to grow grass and have it successfully survive the winter is to grow no later then a week or two after labor day. Now she wants to give me the go. I am just worried it's kind of late. The temps say the lowest will be in the upper 40's and around day will be 50's -60's for the next 10 days. But we all know how the weather is wrong.
It's been a pretty crummy renovation season here in Ohio because of next to no rain in many areas.
A lot of yards need a lot of seeding work, and yes, some people want work done, but very few people want to put forth the labor to keep it watered adequately until it's up....so they decide to "wait till spring".
Unfortunately, many of these yards will be covered from top to bottom with cool season annuals by then, like chickweed, henbit & wild onion!

What were you planning to seed with now?..... Ky blue/ perennial rye?
Some folks around here are still rolling the bones & doing some of that.
But as far as tall fescue is concerned...it's D-O-N-E.

You could wait until around Thanksgiving time, and do dormant/frost seeding.
The point behind dormant/frost seeding is NOT getting the seed up immediately after sowing it, but instead allowing for nature to work it into the pores of the soil, so it can germinate & grow as the soil warms in the spring.
Dormant seeding works well some years, does terribly other years.
It's a roll of the bones...every time you seed.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's not too late for seed if you get a seed blend with a high percentage of Perennial Ryegrass in the mix. The Rye will germinate and begin growing within 5 to 10 days. It's really too late to seed with Bluegrass as it needs 30 days before it'll begin to grow. However, if you have some in the mix, it'll be fine as long as it's a low percentage. If you're looking to use a mix with a lot of Bluegrass, you'll more than likely fail in your efforts to get it up and strong enough to withstand the cold temperatures.

As always, you'll need to prep the soil before seeding and you could do this two different ways. You could aerate and overseed or you could rent a slice seeder. If using the slice seeder, you'll have to go in both directions to create a crosshatch pattern. Follow the seeding with an application of Starter Fertilizer and then 30 days later, bang it out with another application of Starter Fertilizer. This 2nd application would be done in mid-November. If December is mild (and we've had a lot of them in the Mild category), apply a true winterizer to stimulate root growth.

It seems like it's too late but it's really not, especially if you choose a blend that'll grow quickly. It's all in the choices at this point in time!
Old 10-12-2010, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I renovated my last lawn for the season Oct 5th but my cut off date is usually Oct 15th.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloscaperman View Post

Take your soil temperature. If it's over 60, go for it.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobylou8 View Post
Take your soil temperature. If it's over 60, go for it.
I tried that once but the soil farted at me....
So I decided I may as well pack it in for the winter!
Old 10-15-2010, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
I tried that once but the soil farted at me....
So I decided I may as well pack it in for the winter!
Now, that's funny!

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt