Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-12-2010, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Disadvantages of a box truck?

I've been looking at cube vans lately as a lawn and landscape maintenance truck.

I'm wanting to know what disadvantages you guys can think of. Only things I can think of is not having space for debris. Not being able to plow really doesn't matter as it will make a perfect shovel/salt rig.

My mowing crew consists of a 48" Viking, 36" Metro and soon to add 60" Turf Tracer.
I also plan to carry my landscape maintenance tools, bush trimmers and hand tools. Also irrigation parts.
Hoping after those tools are loaded I still have GVW left for a small air compressor and an extra deep cycle battery for an inverter.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-12-2010, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use a 10' cube van but want to get a 12' van next year. Vans have much more advantages than trailers.

Your equipment is not open to the elements should it rain and is not visible to potential thieves, smaller footprint for parking, and can be used for storage both in season and off for your equipment.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dis advantage your truck breaks down, in the shop for a week, so is your business
Old 10-12-2010, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oskier View Post
Dis advantage your truck breaks down, in the shop for a week, so is your business
if any of my trucks were down for a week i would have someones head...lol.....we do ALL our own repairs...even trannys....never down more than a day or two.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

can't bag grass, can't remove storm debris, good luck pruning properties with that truck. all it can do it mow grass, no plowing, no hauling material or debris.
(2) steel rakes
(1) plastic rake
(1) electric ryobi trimmer
Old 10-12-2010, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't be getting rid of the pickup and trailer. Any large debris could haul out in that.

I do my own repairs in house too.

Snow plowing it would make a perfect shoveling rig. 2 single stages and a two stage then a pallet of salt and push spreaders.

The lawns I bag I'm thinking I would approach them with the idea of having cans there I can dump in then I could come around at the end of the week and empty cans into the dump.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-12-2010, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

And the boxes I'm looking at are 14 and 16 footers. On Chevy one ton chassis.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-12-2010, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I want one too but the main things that kill me with that are, the fact that I could put a dump on it instead and I cant plow with it. For me I see it as a third or fourth truck. But theres a fine line between sufficient equipment and way too much overhead.

This is where the switch n go concept is cool.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Im not sure of cost, but you can get a Super Lawn Truck with a debris dumper on it for hauling stuff.... thats probably going to be my next buy. I can just have a guy follow along with the dump trailer for cleanups and stuff untill then.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdk1959 View Post
I use a 10' cube van but want to get a 12' van next year. Vans have much more advantages than trailers.

Your equipment is not open to the elements should it rain and is not visible to potential thieves, smaller footprint for parking, and can be used for storage both in season and off for your equipment.
every hear of enclosed trailers..........

i think if your personal vehicle is seperate from your work vehicle you would be ok using a van truck.

i would never considering anything but a pickup/trailer. i can think of plenty of places i can manuever my truck and trailer into that you could never get a cube van into.

not to mention my work truck is my personal truck as well.

a huge disadvantage for me is the height from which your loading and unloading equipment. a ramp that steep is not something i'm interested in dealing with ever. trailers are much lower to the ground. much safer.

also there are times when some jobs i do don't require me to pull a trailer at all so i just have the truck. i wouldn't want to haul a 10' or 12' van truck to a job that only required a pickup.