Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-16-2010, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

no i don't have employees but if or when i do they will be driving trucks pulling trailers for sure. hell i might even have my first employee do the driving in my truck and trailer while i sit as a passenger and return phone calls. and that truck is my personal truck as well.[/QUOTE]

Old 10-16-2010, 04:44 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

and you point of quoting me and then saying nothing but some stupid smiley faces is what?

your "bold" of what i said means nothing. i know exactly what i would do if i had employees, it doesn't matter that i don't have them now.

if i ever take my business to the level of needing employees the issue of whether they will drive trucks and trailers or box vans is already settled for me. since you always start small, one employee will be added first. instead of me doing all the driving i might just have that employee do some so i can answer and return phone calls inbetween jobs.

those are decisions that will not change for me.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoors_Unlimited View Post
I've been looking at cube vans lately as a lawn and landscape maintenance truck.

I'm wanting to know what disadvantages you guys can think of. Only things I can think of is not having space for debris. Not being able to plow really doesn't matter as it will make a perfect shovel/salt rig.

My mowing crew consists of a 48" Viking, 36" Metro and soon to add 60" Turf Tracer.
I also plan to carry my landscape maintenance tools, bush trimmers and hand tools. Also irrigation parts.
Hoping after those tools are loaded I still have GVW left for a small air compressor and an extra deep cycle battery for an inverter.
Posted via Mobile Device

Box vans & panel trucks are for hacks. See them all the time, strugling with ramps, pulling off POS equipment 20 years old or from Sears & Home depot, hard to strap your gear down (law in most states), can't load debris, etc. Other guys come around with crap loaded into the beds of their Ford Ranger's, etc. They make a great presentation for quality work.

You may also want to take some space measurments before deciding and draw a schematic as to where everything should go, and remember it should be secured or everything will come adrift on your first turn. It sounds like you are putting a lot of stuff into the family van.

Better off with a trailer (even an open). If you want to be professional, look professional... be professional
Old 10-16-2010, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_wheat View Post
Box vans & panel trucks are for hacks. See them all the time, strugling with ramps, pulling off POS equipment 20 years old or from Sears & Home depot, hard to strap your gear down (law in most states), can't load debris, etc. Other guys come around with crap loaded into the beds of their Ford Ranger's, etc. They make a great presentation for quality work.

You may also want to take some space measurements before deciding and draw a schematic as to where everything should go, and remember it should be secured or everything will come adrift on your first turn. It sounds like you are putting a lot of stuff into the family van.

Better off with a trailer (even an open). If you want to be professional, look professional... be professional
Where do people get the idea you can't haul debris in a box van, cube van? I do it all the time, no problem. I do have a separate car for personal use, my cube van is strictly a work truck.

Only advantage for a truck and trailer is hauling unexpected small amounts of debris because you can haul your equipment in the trailor and take away a small amount of debris in your bed without sides. With sides more. Big loads of debris there is no advantage for a trailer over a box truck unless your trailer dumps.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Family van, professional, you guys must not know what a cube van is. Several of the very large companies are working out of cube vans. I was just trying to figure out the disadvantages of using one.

Next year I will be sending a crew to do my cutting, while I climb trees, do brick pavers, and all the other things I do. That means I would need to buy another truck and trailer. For the price I would pay for a new enclosed, I will be able to buy a cube van and not have to buy a truck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-16-2010, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I meant to say another truck. I already have my 3/4 ton and 16ft trailer. Why would the cube van be any harder to tie down. Figure out where the mowers go and mount d rings.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-16-2010, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoors_Unlimited View Post
Family van, professional, you guys must not know what a cube van is. Several of the very large companies are working out of cube vans. I was just trying to figure out the disadvantages of using one.

Next year I will be sending a crew to do my cutting, while I climb trees, do brick pavers, and all the other things I do. That means I would need to buy another truck and trailer. For the price I would pay for a new enclosed, I will be able to buy a cube van and not have to buy a truck.
Posted via Mobile Device
As far as loading debris in a box truck a lot of these LCO's I guess never saw a tree company chipper truck where branches are carried in also besides chips. No open trailers for chips.

You might want to consider a box truck with a dump feature. It be very convenient and a real labor saver. This company below can help you out. Good luck in your choice!

http://www.hayestrailersales.com/pro...es/index.shtml
Old 10-16-2010, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It would be cool to have a dumping cube but I wouldn't personally buy one. My cube van would be a dedicated maintenance truck. Mowing, bed care, and sprinkler repairs. And I'm thinking it would end up being mowing only, as I wont be with the mowing crew. With the money I save not having to buy another truck, I could buy a small enclosed for "my crew"
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-16-2010, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

"Sometimes it was just backing into something, other times taking out a post cutting a corner, or just rear ending a car in traffic. Trailers just do not stop like vehicles with the cargo area built-in."

Well What really chaps my A$$ is these morons running around with truck trailer combos, with no operating trailer lights and either no or non-working trailer brakes.. If you keep up with maint. a combo will stop just as fast as a box truck. There's a local co. that does quite a bit of work that pulls two Z's on a 16 ft.er We service accounts across the street from one of there's and I noticed the 4 pin connector was road rashed away, just the wires there.. If this trailer had a 4 pin connector there are no brakes present, it's BS like this that draws the DOT to landscapers and cutters..This quote above caught my eye, due to the fact I've seen this co. do all of these things while pulling a trailer...
So my take is if you or your employees can't handle the maint. and responisibility of running a combo down the road then a box truck may make it safer for the rest of us to be on the roadways with you...
2006 Hustler Super Z 28 E.F.I. 66 (Sold 1079 hrs.)
John Deere 420 60" mower
Cub 48 hydro walk
Misc. Stihl and Shindiawa
2005 F-350 PSD DRW 4X4
2004 f-250 CCSB Lariat 4X4
2003 JD 4310 hydro 430 loader
2003 Grizzly W 60" state plow
1985 F-250 6.9 4 speed
Western 7' 6" pro-wings
6X14 single axle
20' open Trailer
Old 10-16-2010, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

you guys that say you can and do haul debris in a box truck. i don't see how it is efficient to load the debris in there.

for one thing i haven't seen a box truck that you can load while keeping your 2 feet on the ground. you have to climb up into the thing to load it up. unless your dumping it at the end of the truck. which isn't efficient either. especially if your hauling equipment as well.

you would seriously climb up into the truck with a grass catcher to dump it? another none efficient way if you ask me.

unless it's fall i can usually hold and entire days worth of lawn clippings in my pick up bed. i just dump the grass catcher directly into the bed if i'm in the front yard. in the back the catcher gets dumped into a 55 gallon drum cut in half, then into the truck bed. at the end of the day i stop at the compost site and unload. i have a truck unloader so it's just a matter of cranking the handle to remove the clippings. same thing goes for just about any other debris i put into the truck bed.

if all i'm doing for the day is shrub pruning and debris collecting i'll bring along my 5' x 10' open trailer with 4' sides. i start filling that up after my truck is full.

for the guy who can't stand guys with no brakes on the trailer i guess you wouldn't be able to stand me. i'll agree it's annoying when there aren't working brake lights. but i don't think brakes are a necessity for ALL trailers. it depends on the size of trailer and weight your hauling on it.

i pull a 6' x 12' enclosed single axle trailer loaded with a 36" wb, 52" stand on, 21 incher, trimmer rack with trimmer and stick edger on it, rake rack with 3 rakes, 3 two gallon gas cans and a backpack blower. no brakes on my trailer and i stop just fine. all lights work except the parking lights. haven't been able to figure out the problem. the trailer keeps blowing the fuse on the truck.