Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-17-2010, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_wheat View Post
Different region, different application, I'm in zone 9; 365 day growing season, maybe I can use the box truck to deliver refridgerators when I'm waiting to cut grass

My trailers have drop ramps and the gear just rolls off. My F350 & Ram 3500 have king cabs for the crew & extended beds for the occasional small debris. There is also a dump trailer, holds about 20yrds (I usually schedule major clean ups) it has a drop ramp so I can load from the back to the front, fill er up, pull the cover on and hit the hydraulics when I get to the dump.

Anyway, to each his own
As I stated in another post I don't collect and haul away grass clippings or leaves in the fall, only branches from pruning tree work and hedge clippings. Loading and unloading equipment is also no problem for me either. Less than 2 minutes to set up the 2 safety ramps.

For hauling grass clippings and leaves a open trailer would have the clear advantage because it is much easier to load grass clippings and leaves. But I don't do that and keeping my equipment out of the rain, my handhelds out of site of thieves and not having to unload & load everyday is more important.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdk1959 View Post
As I stated in another post I don't collect and haul away grass clippings or leaves in the fall, only branches from pruning tree work and hedge clippings. Loading and unloading equipment is also no problem for me either. Less than 2 minutes to set up the 2 safety ramps.

For hauling grass clippings and leaves a open trailer would have the clear advantage because it is much easier to load grass clippings and leaves. But I don't do that and keeping my equipment out of the rain, my handhelds out of site of thieves and not having to unload & load everyday is more important.
Sounds like you have it figured out... like i said, to each his own
Old 10-17-2010, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like the issue isn't about the vehicle, it seems to be were you park it at night, should we suggest who uses a garage and who doesn't?
Old 10-17-2010, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:

i agree to each his own, but i must comment......

less than 2 min? i can have my ramp on my trailer down in less than 30 seconds.

enclosed trailers offer that same "keeping my equipment out of the rain, my handhelds out of site of thieves and not having to unload & load everyday is more important" feature.........
Old 10-17-2010, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
i agree to each his own, but i must comment......

less than 2 min? i can have my ramp on my trailer down in less than 30 seconds.

enclosed trailers offer that same "keeping my equipment out of the rain, my handhelds out of site of thieves and not having to unload & load everyday is more important" feature.........
I thought about an enclosed trailer before but decided on a box truck. I knew I would not be hauling clippings or leaves and a truck PLUS a trailer takes up a lot more space in the driveway than a box truck. I'm not going to park a enclosed trailer on the street in front of my house or park it somewhere else and pay rent. A neighbor may complain if in the street and who needs the added cost and inconvenience of parking elsewhere and paying rent.

As far as thieves I'm talking about theft on-site not at home.

But to each his own, I'm happy with my set-up.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Let me add one disadvantage to box trucks. Assuming they are pretty tall and the ramp is a little steeper, keep in mind that you are unlikely to be able to push a broken down ZTR up that ramp.

You'll still need a trailer around to be able to "rescue" it and take it back to the shop. Unless you have a winch system built in or something.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoT View Post
Let me add one disadvantage to box trucks. Assuming they are pretty tall and the ramp is a little steeper, keep in mind that you are unlikely to be able to push a broken down ZTR up that ramp.

You'll still need a trailer around to be able to "rescue" it and take it back to the shop. Unless you have a winch system built in or something.

Already got that covered. Got a 12VDC winch from Northern Tool $79.99. 2000lb capacity and it works just fine.

Also I got a couple properties along a busy highway a pick-up truck & trailer could never do. If you were to try and back out the driveway's of either of them you would be nailed by traffic big time even without a trailer. Not enough room for a truck & trailer to turn around in the driveway, but I can. The one I got the lady said she called 2 other guys and as soon as she mentioned her address they said they'd pass on it.

I can see a trailers advantage for hauling loose material, but I don't do that. Mulch jobs I always use bags. I have a separate car for personal use.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Already got that covered. Got a 12VDC winch from Northern Tool $79.99. 2000lb capacity and it works just fine.

Also I got a couple properties along a busy highway a pick-up truck & trailer could never do. If you were to try and back out the driveway's of either of them you would be nailed by traffic big time even without a trailer. Not enough room for a truck & trailer to turn around in the driveway, but I can. The one I got the lady said she called 2 other guys and as soon as she mentioned her address they said they'd pass on it.

I can see a trailers advantage for hauling loose material, but I don't do that. Mulch jobs I always use bags. I have a separate car for personal use.
I love not working with a trailer. That maneuverability and shorter length when parked in tight areas are the main pluses, but I also find myself constantly checking the mirrors when towing to make sure everything's ok with the trailer.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'm wanting to find a 12' box truck with SRW and gas engine to haul my mowers for day to day stuff. I already have a 16*6 open trailer to do mulch and cleanup jobs which could be pulled by my other truck and have for a backup for the box truck if it goes to the shop. I could fit my Lazer and a 21", or my TT and a 21". If I do get a box truck it my be time to replace the TT with a Vantage for more floor space. I just want to ditch the trailer on my normal route.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:

got that covered with my pickup/trailer......i turn around before i start the job driving in the grass to do it. once i'm done mowing you'd never know i drove the truck or trailer in the grass.

i currently have a client that lives on a busy main road. no side street to park on. i have to park in his driveway. the traffic is never slow enough to back in or out without using the front yard at all. so when i come to his property i pull all the way in the grass and back into the driveway. once done mowing you'd never know i was there. then when i go to leave i just pull right out of the driveway.

you couldn't give me one of these trucks you are talking about for free.