Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-20-2010, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
got that covered with my pickup/trailer......i turn around before i start the job driving in the grass to do it. once i'm done mowing you'd never know i drove the truck or trailer in the grass.

i currently have a client that lives on a busy main road. no side street to park on. i have to park in his driveway. the traffic is never slow enough to back in or out without using the front yard at all. so when i come to his property i pull all the way in the grass and back into the driveway. once done mowing you'd never know i was there. then when i go to leave i just pull right out of the driveway.

you couldn't give me one of these trucks you are talking about for free.
We get it!!! You are a boss at driving a truck and trailer! Also you don't like box trucks. You seem to disagree with everyone on just about everything on this site. Some people have different opinions... I know it's a tough concept to grasp.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-20-2010, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPPER MAN View Post
We get it!!! You are a boss at driving a truck and trailer! Also you don't like box trucks. You seem to disagree with everyone on just about everything on this site. Some people have different opinions... I know it's a tough concept to grasp.
Posted via Mobile Device
and i can't post my opinion like everyone else does? i could say the same thing about you........

i can't help it you see my opinions and ideas as disagreeing with everyone on everything on this site. and frankly if thats the way you feel oh well.

did it ever occur to you that maybe the OP never thought about driving in the grass to turn the rig around?

yes i know everyone has different opinions. since when are threads started to hear ONLY the people that agree with what is being talked about?
Old 10-20-2010, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yardguy, ill guarantee I can drive a trailer as good or better than you. Its that I'm looking for efficiency and ill guarantee a box truck gets better mileage, has less parts to maintain, and it will do everything your trailer will aside from hauling clippings.

I've worked out of trailers for 16 years now, and I will be buying a box truck within the month.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-20-2010, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoors_Unlimited View Post
Yardguy, ill guarantee I can drive a trailer as good or better than you. Its that I'm looking for efficiency and ill guarantee a box truck gets better mileage, has less parts to maintain, and it will do everything your trailer will aside from hauling clippings.

I've worked out of trailers for 16 years now, and I will be buying a box truck within the month.
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree I own a open Landscaper had it little over a month now and I get way better fuel mileage then I did when I was pulling a trailer, takes up less room
Old 10-20-2010, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
and i can't post my opinion like everyone else does? i could say the same thing about you........

i can't help it you see my opinions and ideas as disagreeing with everyone on everything on this site. and frankly if that's the way you feel oh well.

did it ever occur to you that maybe the OP never thought about driving in the grass to turn the rig around?

yes i know everyone has different opinions. since when are threads started to hear ONLY the people that agree with what is being talked about?
Can't turn around on the grass on either property I mentioned in my previous post. The one has a retaining walls and trees on both sides almost up to the house where the driveway widens. The other one the driveway and the yard slope down steeply with the house and trees, shrubs on both sides where the driveway widens. You'd pass on both them if you saw them, unless you had a box truck or a 8' trailer. Anything longer you & can't turn around or park on the street , no shoulder, highway traffic.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoors_Unlimited View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
That's what I say, if you have a box truck and separate vehicle for personal use, hauling loose material in trailers are it's only advantage.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know if I used a box truck I would need one helluva long ramp to get my 3100 Ferris up without scraping bottom.Right now I use a Bri-Mar lo profile dump with landscape ramp and I have to add 2' ramp extensions on plus tilt the bed to keep from scraping the rear of the mower on the pavement.I would never beable to use a cube van.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkie62 View Post
I know if I used a box truck I would need one helluva long ramp to get my 3100 Ferris up without scraping bottom.Right now I use a Bri-Mar lo profile dump with landscape ramp and I have to add 2' ramp extensions on plus tilt the bed to keep from scraping the rear of the mower on the pavement.I would never beable to use a cube van.
We have a is3100 and plan to get a box truck. I'm just not sure what legth to get. There is one for sell locally it's 11-12', I guess that would work for 1 ztr. Our enclosed is 20' and I wish it was longer sometimes.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkie62 View Post
Most of the dedicated lawn box trucks have 4ft dovetails with 4' ramps on the dovetail. I know guys that have these and get their turf tigers or big 72" toro ztrs up them and never scrape. But that is a very valid point.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-21-2010, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstarlawns View Post
I'm wanting to find a 12' box truck with SRW and gas engine to haul my mowers for day to day stuff. I already have a 16*6 open trailer to do mulch and cleanup jobs which could be pulled by my other truck and have for a backup for the box truck if it goes to the shop. I could fit my Lazer and a 21", or my TT and a 21". If I do get a box truck it my be time to replace the TT with a Vantage for more floor space. I just want to ditch the trailer on my normal route.
I'm looking to buy a 12' box truck next season, have a 10' now, just a tad too small. There is always a demand for used box trucks because they are so versatile for so many types of businesses compared to a trailer so I'll get a good price whether I sell it or trade it in.

You will absolutely love using a box truck and will be able to get onto difficult properties on busy highways where you can't park in the street and have no room to turn around in the driveway with a truck and trailer. Good luck with your box truck purchase.