Register free!

Old 10-13-2010, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro 44 View Post
Did you have to rake up a lot of thatch?

You guys with tractors and PTO overseeders, do you ever remove the debris that comes up with over seeding?

I'm still second guessing my process. There has been so much demand for seeding that I haven't had time to rake up a lot of thatch and still get the seed in before it gets too cold.

BTW I'm using a 20" 9 horse revitalizer.
I cut it up with the mower as I thatch. I use a JRCO rake. Works great, never had a problem.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
i only disperse the large clumps of thatch, other than that it is good to leave behind for mulch
Thanks for this reply.

I find I have much more "thatch" in areas where there is still healthy growing grass. It really just seems to be parts of the healthy plants that get chopped and then lay flat. It's not so bad where there has been a really good kill. But when fixing bare spots in otherwise good turf, there is a lot of plant material.

So you are saying that you have never had a problem leaving everything there?

I guess it makes sense. I'm thinking of all the material that goes on a seed bed when hydro seeding is done.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Thanks for this reply.

I find I have much more "thatch" in areas where there is still healthy growing grass. It really just seems to be parts of the healthy plants that get chopped and then lay flat. It's not so bad where there has been a really good kill. But when fixing bare spots in otherwise good turf, there is a lot of plant material.

So you are saying that you have never had a problem leaving everything there?

I guess it makes sense. I'm thinking of all the material that goes on a seed bed when hydro seeding is done.
It's all organic, so if it isn't clumped your good.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobylou8 View Post
I cut it up with the mower as I thatch. I use a JRCO rake. Works great, never had a problem.
I used a craftsman tow behind thatcher on two properties this year. One was a 3.5 acre yard which took around 3 hours to do. Pulled and mowed at the same time on both. Chopping up what was left with the mower at the end. Good tech.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
So do you pull the thatch up, chop it, and then slit seed?
Old 10-14-2010, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
So do you pull the thatch up, chop it, and then slit seed?
Yes. I use a JRCO rake on the front, mow it as I thatch. 2-3 passes, aerate, then seed.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Yes. I use a JRCO rake on the front, mow it as I thatch. 2-3 passes, aerate, then seed.
When you say you aerate and then seed, do you mean core aeration and then braodcasting seed? Or do you mean core aeration and then actual slit/slice seeding?

Thanks for the replys by the way!
Old 10-14-2010, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Yes. I use a JRCO rake on the front, mow it as I thatch. 2-3 passes, then seed.
JRCO tine rake...poor man's slit seeder, lol. NOT!

Unless it's really soft soil, you're not going to get enough penetration to seed. I have used mine for doing final smoothing of new lawn installs and then going over it again lightly after broadcasting the seed to get a little burial (just gotta be careful not to plow soil on turns), but a slit seeder it is not.

I just don't want anyone thinking that the JRCO tine rake is going to take the place of a slit seeder.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
When you say you aerate and then seed, do you mean core aeration and then braodcasting seed? Or do you mean core aeration and then actual slit/slice seeding?

Thanks for the replys by the way!
Core aeration then broadcast seeding. I set my thatcher as low as possible. The effect is the same as slit seeding. Grass germinates in the holes AND comes up in nice little rows like a crop of corn.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
JRCO tine rake...poor man's slit seeder, lol. NOT!

Unless it's really soft soil, you're not going to get enough penetration to seed. I have used mine for doing final smoothing of new lawn installs and then going over it again lightly after broadcasting the seed to get a little burial (just gotta be careful not to plow soil on turns), but a slit seeder it is not.

I just don't want anyone thinking that the JRCO tine rake is going to take the place of a slit seeder.
No, it won't replace a slit seeder but the effect is the same. Early on I considered and rented a Mataway over seeder. It wasn't for me. The cost benefit ratio for my business made it an easy pass. Found an ancient Ryan Ren-o-thin for small and gated properties and never looked back. Talked to a couple of LCO's with Mataways and they said they still broadcast over top their jobs just in case their lines weren't straight.