Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-16-2010, 02:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpel2004 View Post
Thats not true, there is a great deal to the simplest contracts. Just because its on paper doesnt mean you automatically win. Furthermore most courts will rule in favor of the laymen over the professional in the case of an ambiguous contract. Which, on the surface it seems like we have in this case.
Well Sherlock when the contract is signed by a defendent and the contract states a specific task at hand GUESS WHAT the law follows the contract to the T so after you finish law school call me i fill you in on business law. But seeing how you represent the customer in this matter let the guy file his lawsuit and see what happens, would be willing to bet you'll be singing a different tune in the END.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

That actually sounds like a great idea how does the collection process work?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-16-2010, 02:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just remember you have to pay the collection agency usually anywhere from 10 to 60%
Old 10-16-2010, 02:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Its worth looking into better than spending more than what I am in court cost and lawyer fees
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-16-2010, 02:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you file in small claims court there are no lawyers or fees other than the filing fee usually $45 in most instances.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

So I just ha e represent myself in small claims court. Im thinkng either small claims or collections. I need to research the whole colections thing tho. Have any of you guys ever successfully used a collection agency?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-16-2010, 02:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you file in small claims court depending on the cases pending in your area, you could probably get your case heard in about 1 to 2 months. If you go the collection agency route you maybe looking at waiting for your customer to croak before you ever collect a cent. A collection agency works mostly for big businesses anyway who have usually written the matter off, so if they collect 10% they are usually surprised. But from what you have stated about having a contract, well written, customer signature, and a description of the work to be performed, i would file in small claims court. It's a safe bet you will probably like this a whole lot better.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Small claims is fairly easy, just be honest and show what you got, it worked for me.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oskier View Post
Well Sherlock when the contract is signed by a defendent and the contract states a specific task at hand GUESS WHAT the law follows the contract to the T so after you finish law school call me i fill you in on business law. But seeing how you represent the customer in this matter let the guy file his lawsuit and see what happens, would be willing to bet you'll be singing a different tune in the END.

No your a wrong, you can have the best wriiten contract however if certains arent accounted for in the contract and its brought to the Judge attention then you loose. My ex was an attorney. Smartone
Old 10-16-2010, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpel2004 View Post
No your a wrong, you can have the best wriiten contract however if certains arent accounted for in the contract and its brought to the Judge attention then you loose. My ex was an attorney. Smartone
Wrong read the flippin post genius, he stated that the "included services within contain" exactly what he performed. So in case you think a contract is just a piece of paper better used for toilet paper, bring your contract to Texas and ill eat you up in Court any day of the week. Stick to what you know not what you see on Judge Judy.