Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-24-2010, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've never even thought of that no lawyers more doctors and insurance agent than anything lol. What should I offer a full season of mowing?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-27-2010, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Around here "bar card" means you're a regular down at the local watering hole.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well when you turn 21 ill let you borrow mine.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I tried to buy a property..It had a mechanics lien on it from a plumber from ten years before. Title search came back "BAD" due to lien..
I Couldnt buy the property and she couldnt sell until it was paid...boy was that crazy lady suprized..she had to walk out of the closing embarrased and a couple k less..

Mechanics liens work very well!! from my exieriance..

1 Desert Eagle
(security)
Old 11-23-2010, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wow that's assuring im in the process now of waiting on him to respond on the papers he was served. I was also told by a lawyer that a lein draws interest if not paid. I would hate to see what that lady has to pay in order to sale that property!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-13-2011, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Go to www.nationallienlaw.com and buy a "notice of intent to file lien" $15-20, it'll give you a PDF that you can use unlimited times for whatever accounts/addresses you need to. Then if after 2 weeks they haven't responded for payment, buy the lien (another 15-20 bucks) and you can use it unlimited times.

This way, you're only out of pocket $40 or so and you get to use the form for the rest of your business life. It's way cheaper than $300 per lien x 8 homeowners.

With the "intent to file lien", I would send a brief cover letter to each homeowner stating to the effect, "we have tried unsuccessfully to collect, bla blabla. Filing a lien is the last thing our company wants to do, so we ask you to please have your management company contact us with payment arrangements since we have not been able to get any response for them."

You will want to send a copy of your original invoice, a copy of the notice, and the letter to homeowner

Lastly, if the payment date comes and no arrangements have been made, then send a copy of the lien to homeowner. You will need to go to your county clerk office to file the lien as well.

hope this helps.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=JosephCastille;4185405]Go to www.nationallienlaw.com and buy a "notice of intent to file lien" $15-20, it'll give you a PDF that you can use unlimited times for whatever accounts/addresses you need to. Then if after 2 weeks they haven't responded for payment, buy the lien (another 15-20 bucks) and you can use it unlimited times.

This way, you're only out of pocket $40 or so and you get to use the form for the rest of your business life. It's way cheaper than $300 per lien x 8 homeowners.

With the "intent to file lien", I would send a brief cover letter to each homeowner stating .....

Thanks for the info, ill keep that im mind. We went to court and got everything taken care of.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-13-2011, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah there is no reason why you should get screwed by this guy. Lucky for me, I've managed to avoid shady guys like that. I've had my share of cheap skates but nothing like that.

My only tip on finding a good lawyer is to interview a handful. Don't stick with some guy because he sounds good. They work for YOU. You're the boss this time. Don't forget that.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTheGlove View Post
Yeah there is no reason why you should get screwed by this guy. Lucky for me, I've managed to avoid shady guys like that. I've had my share of cheap skates but nothing like that.

My only tip on finding a good lawyer is to interview a handful. Don't stick with some guy because he sounds good. They work for YOU. You're the boss this time. Don't forget that.
Yea I hope this was just an isolated incident. I have since gotten better with contracts and have them reviewed before we sign. I saw the red flags I just ignored them trying to land the job and keep the payola coming in. Ended up making very little and it wasn't worth the trouble. Lesson learned!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-03-2011, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oskier View Post
No it's just that they charge more than the whole case would be, so they are telling you to file in small claims court to save you time and money. Also they know that when you see how simple it is to get this done, you're going to wonder why you spent the money on them in the first place. And to the critic to thinks that everyone on here is just a lawn person, my bar card is still current.
This is very good advice and the lien route is also a good avenue. Bottom line is if you hire a lawyer, the only one that will win is the lawyer. Your case just isn't worth enough. I've been the small claims route and have both a father and brother who are lawyers. I wouldn't think of hiring a lawyer for a case that small.