Old 11-03-2011, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry, Didn't see you had resolved it.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboyd351 View Post
Sorry, Didn't see you had resolved it.
Its all good but hey I learned alot from you guys saved some money and got paid legally!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-04-2011, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

what route did you go to getting it resolved?

60" Exmark Lazer Z 26 EFI with Ultra Vac
(2) 52" Exmark Lazer Z HP 23 Kawi with/Ultra Vac
36" Metro with 12.5 Kawi
Redmax bcz3000 trimmer
(2) Redmax 7001 blowers
(2) Stihl FC85 stick edgers
Old 11-04-2011, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLT1Z28 View Post
what route did you go to getting it resolved?
I placed what they call a "mechanics lien" on the property. Under normal circumstances I probably would still be waiting on some money, but he was trying to sell this property. I went by the court house got the paper work and mailed it to him certified. I had to do this since he lived out of state. This is the same as some one knocking on your door asking you are you john doe and then saying you have been served. Here in our great state you cannot simply tell some one to stop working when you have a contract. We were in court maybe 10 mins and the judge ruled in my favor.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-04-2011, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Pretty work getting it resolved yourself. Either the mechanics lien or small claims court are the viable options for a relatively small claim like you had. Also feels good to do it yourself without having to hire an expensive lawyer.
Congrats!
Old 11-04-2011, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboyd351 View Post
Pretty work getting it resolved yourself. Either the mechanics lien or small claims court are the viable options for a relatively small claim like you had. Also feels good to do it yourself without having to hire an expensive lawyer.
Congrats!
Yea I felt pretty good about it walking out of court check in hand. However I did consult with a business attorney before I went through with all of this.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-07-2011, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Even though this is old I'll add to the recent comments for others future reference. I use liens and I love them! I can file the liens myself, but my attorney will file the lien and do all of the paper work for $350. I have probably threatened too or filed 20 liens this year. The best one was a landscape contractor who I sub for. I did a couple irrigation installs, lighting installs, irrigation service calls and then some fert jobs for him during one month and he suddenly stopped paying me. At 30 days my attorney sent him a letter stating if we did not receive payment we would be filing liens on his property and all properties we were sub'ed on. At 60 days we sent the letter to the property owners saying that if the landscaper did not pay us within 30 days we would file the liens. The best was the call I got from one of his fert customers, it was a $60 fert app + $350 filing fee, they were having a $410 lien filed for a $60 job. Most the custoemrs called me and I just encouraged them to call the landscaper and for them to encourage him to pay me as they all had already paid him for the services I was subbed for. In the end I was paid for most of the jobs and their are a couple of smaller liens still out their. In order to stop the lien process most of his customers paid me even though they already paid him (including a 12k install), and said they would sue him themselves. Here if a lein sits for a while it can take often take months to get removed once it is paid for, so if you are trying to sell the property the new owner has to wait months until they can take ownership of the property after buying it. This usually gets people to pay quick once the get the letters of intention
Old 11-07-2011, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Also if I remember correctly here they can draw interest and take a toll on that persons credit
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-08-2011, 12:31 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnpropm View Post
Also if I remember correctly here they can draw interest and take a toll on that persons credit
Posted via Mobile Device
Here in MA I know it effects the property owners credit score. I don't know about any interest charges, but I'm sure if there is any interest that all goes to the state. What is nice is that we can add in any attorney fees from the lien. So that person who doesn't want to pay for a $60 fert app ends up paying $410 later down the road.