Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Gravely
User Name
Password
Home Gravely.com Parts Find a Dealer About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2002, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Gravely equipment question

I wanted to check with some people with experience with the Gravely lines. I have been looking for a good commerical mower to 5 acres (my yard). I have found a Gravely PM 400 series mower near me that is 2-3 years old. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, and have only seen it at a glance. I don't know how many hours are on the machine, but plan to find out soon.
The guy has told me he bought it as a demo unit and would like @ $8k for it, but could take less. The mower has a 72" deck and appears to be in good general shape, but I won't know until I get a closer look. Does anyone have any suggestions on items to look for, or suggestions on things to check to insure it is a good machine? I do have some experience with the Howard Price brand and it is a similar type of mower, but I was hoping someone that has this mower would have some input.
I would appreciate any information that could be provided.

Thank you,

Joey
Old 07-23-2002, 08:55 AM

Gravely 400

The PM400 was a good machine and will more than likely do the job for you. This is what I would do before I would even think about shelling out $8,000.

1) Check all fluid levels and the smell of the oil to see if it has been overheated (burnt smell)
2) Chech all linkages for smooth tight operation.
3) Check that PTO engages smoothly without any noise.
4) See if tires have cracks (checks) from age.
5) Check out the radiator fins & inside. Look for corrosion in the cooling tubes.
6) See how old the battery is.
7) Check the deck blades for levelness to each other. Could indicate bent spindle or deck.
8) Run the engine and check for smooth operation.

Another suggestion is to purchase a new Gravely PM272 w/25hp Kawasaki. Price my be slightly more than $8,000 however you will be getting a new machine with a two year warranty and you will be able to cut your grass in much less time than you could with the out front machines. Go visit your local dealer and get the whole scoop.

Regards,
Dan Kilgas
Old 08-03-2002, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Member

I got to check the mower out some today. Here are some of the specs and my impression and thoughts about it:

It is a Promaster 400, with the Yanmar diesel motor (serial # 3TNE82A-AF). It has 572 hrs on the mower and a 72" deck. It used to be owned by a rental co. and the guy bought it off of them. He said he is related to the salesman and got a pretty good deal on the mower. He has had it for a little over a year and mows his 5 acres with it. He is selling his place to move closer to town and work.
The mower is dirty compared to how I like to keep my equipment. It could use a good cleaning, but doesn't appear to be in bad condition. I did see 2 drops of oil on the concrete below the mower, right underneath the axle area. The 2 drops appear to be small and fresh but the concrete is clean. (I do know this is where he keeps his mower all of the time) The deck is lifted by 2 hyd cyl and all of the connectors look good. The drive tires look a little worn, but usable. The front caster wheels look a little beat up, but straight.
It seemed pretty smooth driving, and the cut wasn't bad. I think the blades could stand to be sharpened and it would cut better. It has been dry around here so the grass really wasn't thick or tall. I would like to mow some that puts some stress on the mower to see how it's power and ability hold up.

I could not find a serial number for the mower. How can I find out the year or info on it or the motor? I just want to check to make sure it is what it is supposed to be. The guy originally told me he would like $8k but would consider around $6k. After seeing it, I am more likely to offer $4k -$5k instead, but I want to check it out again beforehand. From the limited description, what is a mower of this quality worth? I would appreciate any input.

Thank you,

Joey Heady

Last edited by jheady; 08-03-2002 at 12:50 PM..
Old 08-05-2002, 10:26 AM

Pm400

Joey, This mower new sold for about $15,600. I looked in the offical guide for outdoor power equipment and find that currently this mower is worth about $6,000 ~ $7,000 depending on condition.
The power unit should have the s/n plat somewhere on the chassis. The engine should have the s/n close to the injection pump area.

Hope that helps with your quest

Regards,
Dan
Old 08-05-2002, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Dan. I found the serial for the motor pretty easily, but I looked everywhere I could think of on the mower itself and found nothing. It is pretty dirty so maybe I just overlooked it. If by chance, do you know where I can look up the specs on the motor? What was available for that model, and or is it the same as today's version with a 30hp?

I appreciate the information, and hopefully I will get to look at the mower again sometime this week.

Thanks again,

Joey
Old 08-06-2002, 10:12 AM

Yanmar engines

Joey, You can go directly to the Yanmar web site Yanmar.com for all the specification that you need on that particular engine.

Dan
Old 08-11-2002, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you again Dan, you have been a great help. I did find out the model and serial # for the mower. Is it possible to find out more information from the Gravely Co. on the history or records they have on the unit? It is a model 989051 and the serial # is 000169.

Thanks again,

Joey
Closed Thread