Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-11-2010, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Is this a weed? What kind? What to do?

My front yard has these very tall grass blades that grow extremely fast compared to the rest of the lawn. They are much wider than the normal fine fescue. my back yard is not like this other than a few little areas.

These rogue blades grow MUCH faster than the normal turf grass and shoot up very tall and sprout a few blades out of the side.

Is this a weed? Crabgrass? What is the best way to treat this so I don't have all this tall stuff that grows out of balance with the rest of the lawn(assuming that this is a weed and not some nasty kind of grass). What can I use to kill this most effectively without a herbicide license.

I've got 3 mowing on this lawn since renovating it on Sept 1.

First picture is an example of the two different heights of grass that seem to keep occuring shortly after mowing.

Second picture is a close up of one of these tall blades that grow extremely fast and very high.

They are both clickable thumbnails to zoom in.

EDIT: Man there is so much of this in the front yard mixed in with the lawn maybe I should just call a pro to drop some kind of appropriate applications or can I handle this myself?

I've got about another month before the grass goes dormant for winter and then snow until march.

Last edited by sethhobrin; 10-11-2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

What was your grass mixture or blend that you planted? What was your grass before the renovation?

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."
Old 10-11-2010, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Member

the lawn was mostly TTTF blend with a little bit of bluegrass thrown in for healing ability.

I overseeded with combat extreme TTTF blend which is a bunch of nice turf type tall fescue mixed with a bit of KBG.

I am not sure of the quality or types of ftall fescues originally put in my lawn.

This is my first summer in this house so this weird tall blade weed problem could have existed last year as well. We moved in late last fall. I am not even sure it is a weed. I was almost wondering if it is some nasty kind of fescue. It just looks nothing like the grass because it has huge wide blades and a thick base with side shoots. it also grows EXTREMELY FAST. As in 3-4 inches in 7 days. so it looks like i have all these single tall blades of grass spread out everywhere.

EDIT: I can grab more pictures of some larger specimens as well.

Last edited by sethhobrin; 10-11-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have read a little about Combat but I don't have any personal experience with it. As far your pics go, to me it just looks like a taller and wider-bladed tall fescue growing in with the shorter and narrow-bladed varieties. Maybe this is what was in the original lawn? If I am correct, there is nothing you could do to treat it.

Let's see what others have to say.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtandhoops View Post
I have read a little about Combat but I don't have any personal experience with it. As far your pics go, to me it just looks like a taller and wider-bladed tall fescue growing in with the shorter and narrow-bladed varieties. Maybe this is what was in the original lawn? If I am correct, there is nothing you could do to treat it.

Let's see what others have to say.
thats what I was afraid of.. yuck. who would do that. i'll try to grab some more pics tommorrow.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If that is tall fescue it will die back in the winter if it goes below zero celcius there. It loves the heat and drought conditions. Keep reseeding yearly with another seed that is tolerant in your area year round and it will eventually crowd out the thick bladed fescue. It will take several years.

You could try "Certainty" herbicide or something like it. It affects rye grass too from what I recall. So be careful.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source...kr9ERQ&cad=rja
Old 10-12-2010, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayBay View Post
If that is tall fescue it will die back in the winter if it goes below zero celcius there. It loves the heat and drought conditions. Keep reseeding yearly with another seed that is tolerant in your area year round and it will eventually crowd out the thick bladed fescue. It will take several years.

You could try "Certainty" herbicide or something like it. It affects rye grass too from what I recall. So be careful.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source...kr9ERQ&cad=rja
Will this kill all fescue types? Most of the lawn is a nice thin turf type tall fescue. Will that be vulnerable to this herbicide too?
Old 10-12-2010, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayBay View Post
If that is tall fescue it will die back in the winter if it goes below zero celcius there. ...........................................

Maybe we are losing something in the translation from Canadian but I'm not sure what fescue you are referring to as dieing back from freezing temps.
Not any tall fescue, I know about. Not K-21 types and not the new TTTF.

As far as Certainty use, seth says he overseeded his whole lawn with TTTF plus just a little KBG. If he used Certainty, he would be killing (controlling) most of his lawn.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtandhoops View Post
Maybe we are losing something in the translation from Canadian but I'm not sure what fescue you are referring to as dieing back from freezing temps.
Not any tall fescue, I know about. Not K-21 types and not the new TTTF.

As far as Certainty use, seth says he overseeded his whole lawn with TTTF plus just a little KBG. If he used Certainty, he would be killing (controlling) most of his lawn.
Looks like I have several seasons of fall overseeding to do
Old 10-12-2010, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Member

This stuff is not grass. this is definately gotta be quack grass or crabgrass. It's coming up in patches all over the place dramatically higher than the turf. I'm so screwed and have no idea what to do. i've also got broadleaf weeds starting to come up in large quantities in a few places.

I'll have my 4th mow on the lawn after overseeding this fall tommorrow night. i still need some good suggestions on what to do to handle all these weeds. or should I just leave them and do a pre emergent in spring and deal with any weeds then?