Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-14-2010, 08:11 PM
forgop forgop is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 143
Has the window for fall seeding come to an end?

Anyone have a good rule of thumb as far as to whether I've put down about all the seed I can for the year in Indianapolis? Our highs recently and over the next 10 days are averaging upper 60's to low 70's and the lows appear to be mid-upper 40's for the most part. I've already put a good bit down, but may go through with another hellacious round to get some thin spots covered before the year is up. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-14-2010, 09:13 PM
atasteofnature's Avatar
atasteofnature atasteofnature is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Webster, IN
Posts: 405
I will try to help out a little bit. Optimum temperature for shoot growth is 60-75F and Optimum soil temp. for root growth is 50-65F. I know the nights are getting cooler but the days are warming up quite nicely. A good starter fertilizer with a good irrigation program will help it along. You might also think of mulch (straw) this will help hold water in our drought situation in the state plus it will help regulate the temperatures from fluctuating up and down so much. I hope this helps out a little.
__________________

A Taste Of Nature
GOD Bless;Genesis 1:3
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-14-2010, 09:17 PM
scoop's Avatar
scoop scoop is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SW Michigan
Posts: 14
When it's to cold to smoke a good cigar outside JK. They will let any one on this board. I'm not a pro by any means but it is a little late in the season. I aerated and over-seeded on Sept 17 and maybe should have done it a week sooner. Although I am a little further north.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-14-2010, 09:27 PM
grassman177's Avatar
grassman177 grassman177 is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: leavenworth, kansas
Posts: 9,786
it is all about the long range forcast and staying in those temps mentioned. with serious good irrigation to not let it dry out it will germinate and make it, but be warned without irrigation systems no one will keep it wet enough to get it started well to make it ok through late fall and heavy frosts etc. better at that point to either do it very late as a dormant seeding or just wait till spring.
__________________
all is fair in love and grass! Man, it smells like sheet, do you smell that!!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-14-2010, 09:38 PM
atasteofnature's Avatar
atasteofnature atasteofnature is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Webster, IN
Posts: 405
to add on to Scoop, the optimum window is Aug. 15-Sept. 15, but also famous words from my turf science professor "It Depends". There are rules of thumb but each situation is different. There is also what they call dormant seeding as well, which leaves the seed on top of soils which is average at best.
__________________

A Taste Of Nature
GOD Bless;Genesis 1:3
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-14-2010, 09:43 PM
forgop forgop is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoop View Post
When it's to cold to smoke a good cigar outside JK. They will let any one on this board. I'm not a pro by any means but it is a little late in the season. I aerated and over-seeded on Sept 17 and maybe should have done it a week sooner. Although I am a little further north.
You joke, but around 10:00 or so I retired back in to the house last night after smoking a couple of nice cigars. Once it hits that 55 degree mark with a breeze, I'm not that dedicated after that.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-14-2010, 09:47 PM
forgop forgop is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by atasteofnature View Post
to add on to Scoop, the optimum window is Aug. 15-Sept. 15, but also famous words from my turf science professor "It Depends". There are rules of thumb but each situation is different. There is also what they call dormant seeding as well, which leaves the seed on top of soils which is average at best.
There was no way I was seeding here during that period as we still had a LOT of days in September with 90+ degree weather. I don't think I got any seed out until maybe around September 20th or so.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-14-2010, 09:55 PM
DA Quality Lawn & YS's Avatar
DA Quality Lawn & YS DA Quality Lawn & YS is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rochester, MN
Posts: 7,831
True - this year (only) you could have seeded later than the average year. We just went through a stretch of 10+ days in the 70's and 80's. If you would have seeded at the beginning of that stretch, then watered, I think the new grass would have been just peachy.
__________________
7x14 Stealth SE Enclosed with 48" side ramp
08 Toro Z400 48" deck, 21HP Kaw with EZ Vac twin bag
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-14-2010, 09:57 PM
scoop's Avatar
scoop scoop is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SW Michigan
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
You joke, but around 10:00 or so I retired back in to the house last night after smoking a couple of nice cigars. Once it hits that 55 degree mark with a breeze, I'm not that dedicated after that.
Yeah it's not so bad if your smoking a "Live" cigar (if you can figure out what end to light) you can just toss it if it's to cold out.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-14-2010, 10:01 PM
forgop forgop is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
True - this year (only) you could have seeded later than the average year. We just went through a stretch of 10+ days in the 70's and 80's. If you would have seeded at the beginning of that stretch, then watered, I think the new grass would have been just peachy.
I've gone through my front yard twice already in the past 3 weeks and watered it pretty heavily. It's coming in, but still has a good bit to go for that thick coverage. I lost most of it in august as we were on vacation, had a tiny rain of some sort, with 15 or so conseutive days over 90. It was almost completely burnt to a crisp when I got back.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:39 PM.

Page generated in 0.10781 seconds with 7 queries