Register free!

Old 10-14-2010, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Tow behind compressor question

I have run my own landscaping business for 10+ years now although I focus on mowing/mulching/cleanups throughout that time I've done a lot of irrigation work. I've done full system installs to simple head replacement but I always outsourced the pipe dragging for installs and blowouts for winterizing. This year I have 12 new irrigation customers that will need their systems winterized and blown out this season and would rather not outsource the blowout to another company yet again. I know the exact process on how to winterize a system, but have one question...

My question is: My local rental store rents tow behind compressors but the mechanic and salesmen say they have no regulator. "They run at 185CFM @ 125PSI" They don't know how to regulate the pressure and they know nothing about irrigation. I need to blow out the systems at 70 psi ... So how do I get 185CFM @ 125PSI compressor down to 70psi??? Tons of much larger companys than mine rent these same compressors so... My guess would be they blow it out at 125psi and I don't want to do that. I'd rather not buy a regulator for a machine I don't own. If you guys could please advise me on this I would really appreciate the help.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

First off, what's with the billboard advertising in your sig? Very annoying.

I've never seen a rental compressor that did not have a regulator. Maybe it's their but the clowns at the rental shop don't know what to look for. If they don't have one installed, nut up and buy one. Otherwise you'll be paying more for replacing components in the irrigation system.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Check with your insurance company as to your liability. You could blow the system sky-high, melt fittings and valve threads with too much pressure. Conversely, you could under-winterize and cause freezing: either way, your liable. A pressure regulator is a must, start low and increase until the heads pop and start misting gently. Go through the system and "burp" it again for 10 seconds and you're done. Be careful, it's not as easy as it may seem.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
First off, what's with the billboard advertising in your sig? Very annoying.

I've never seen a rental compressor that did not have a regulator. Maybe it's their but the clowns at the rental shop don't know what to look for.
Ditto on the upper comment.

Second sentence: We used to rent a compressor and had to discover the regulator ourselves. What drove the rental firm nuts was we'd forget to return it to max when returned and the next guy with the jackhammer went ballistic when he tried to use it. The rental outlet finally gave me a deal I could not refuse on the compressor just to get rid of us.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:20 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

When you rent them and ask them how to reduce the psi all of them will not tell you how to do it for liability reasons

Most compressors have a built in regulator on them somewhere.

If one does not.. Simply install one your self! Which is what we do when we rent and one doesn't have one
Old 10-15-2010, 07:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We have a home made regulator .Chicago couple then a straight handled ball valve ,then tee fitting with air presser gauge on the back side of the valve with air hose nipple . we use standard half inch air hoses.Keep valve closed during start up and always open and close valve very slowly .get ammo can and start collecting fittting ,adapters ,ect,ect .
Old 10-15-2010, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Second that on collecting fittings and adapters.... Or, are adapters fittings? Anyway, I have a configurations to go from 1/2 inch to 2 inch. And have plenty of hose to get to blowout point. Stinks having to go get more hose to get that one done....
Old 10-15-2010, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpsystems View Post
Stinks having to go get more hose to get that one done....
In a pinch, I've used the customers's garden hose to get that last 10 feet. I already have 150' on the truck.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sometimes (reads all the time) I forget to undo customers hose and it ends up on my truck....... Cause after that one, dont wanna miss anotha!
Old 10-15-2010, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It is likely that a regulator for water would work on air, so long as it can take the heat.