Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-15-2010, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Member

This doesn't sound right, who would manufacture a compressor that ran like this? what happens when you turn it on? it goes full throttle? When you shut it down are they shut down while in full throttle? If they are newer models I would think they are adjustable by the outlet valve.

It just sounds like the rental guys want to protect themselves which is fine but a good way to have you go look someplace else, if they are renting out lots of these to larger companies they might not want to bother with renting you one for one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajesticUSA View Post
I have run my own landscaping business for 10+ years now although I focus on mowing/mulching/cleanups throughout that time I've done a lot of irrigation work. I've done full system installs to simple head replacement but I always outsourced the pipe dragging for installs and blowouts for winterizing. This year I have 12 new irrigation customers that will need their systems winterized and blown out this season and would rather not outsource the blowout to another company yet again. I know the exact process on how to winterize a system, but have one question...

My question is: My local rental store rents tow behind compressors but the mechanic and salesmen say they have no regulator. "They run at 185CFM @ 125PSI" They don't know how to regulate the pressure and they know nothing about irrigation. I need to blow out the systems at 70 psi ... So how do I get 185CFM @ 125PSI compressor down to 70psi??? Tons of much larger companys than mine rent these same compressors so... My guess would be they blow it out at 125psi and I don't want to do that. I'd rather not buy a regulator for a machine I don't own. If you guys could please advise me on this I would really appreciate the help.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use a regulator like this, only bigger (1" ports) to handle more CFM. Works great.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Well thank you very much for the advice, I will research the machines they rent before doing anything. Should they somehow not have a built in regulator I will go out and buy one.

I appreciate the help with this guys
Old 10-15-2010, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Well thank you very much for the advice, I will research the machines they rent before doing anything. Should they somehow not have a built in regulator I will go out and buy one.

I appreciate the help with this guys
Dump the sig next time you post, we're very sensitive to them.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Dump the sig next time you post, we're very sensitive to them.
YOU wouldn't be so nice if you'd seen what he called the majority of the regular irrigation contributers last nite, xxxxx
Old 10-15-2010, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
YOU wouldn't be so nice if you'd seen what he called the majority of the regular irrigation contributers last nite, xxxxx
Ahaa, the thought plickens.....
Old 10-15-2010, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Guess the idea of only opening the ballvalve 1/2way never entered his mind.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
. So how do I get 185CFM @ 125PSI compressor down to 70psi???
I'll bet there is a regulator of sorts built into the machine. Meaning, the compressor will run wide out if you are using all the cfms quickly and run slower if you are just using a trickle.

So, just open the valve a little bit after hookup to the irrigation blowout POC. After a bit you'll learn how much to open the valve without damaging things depending on how many zones you purge at a time.

Are there no dial gauges on the machine?
Old 10-15-2010, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'll bet it has an adjustable regulator, they probably just don't want you messing with it.
My IR 175 has one and I can adjust it between 65-130 PSI.
I adjust it several times a day from dinky systems to sports fields.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i've run up to 500 cfm, one way or another the pressure is adjustable, my 125 has a governor, a built in regulator and i plumbed a regulator on a tee for small tools.

if i were renting (with the exception of a small truck mount) and that's the way to go if you don't use it for other work. i would buy a regulator attach it to a piece of angle iron with a magnetic base and bolt clamps.

slap it on the frame and clamp it for security, moves from compressor to compressor in an instant.