Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-11-2012, 06:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

hey guys everyone looks great
i have a few questions
what about enclosed trailers? how do you mount the leaf vac on an enclosed trailer? i was thinking just to place it on the floor inside the trailer.

also for a leaf box on a pick up truck- what is the best material to use as columns? the holes in my tundra are not big enough for a 2X4. Someone suggested to use metal. How do i secure these vertical pieces?
thank you
Old 11-11-2012, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsole View Post
hey guys everyone looks great
i have a few questions
what about enclosed trailers? how do you mount the leaf vac on an enclosed trailer? i was thinking just to place it on the floor inside the trailer.

also for a leaf box on a pick up truck- what is the best material to use as columns? the holes in my tundra are not big enough for a 2X4. Someone suggested to use metal. How do i secure these vertical pieces?
thank you
I've seen leaf loaders mounted to the tongue of a Enclosed trailer... I wouldn't highly recommend it even with an extended tongue... One tight turn and there goes the back of your truck and your leaf loader....

Also I debated on putting one of my loaders on a wagon and wheeling it out every time we used it but I felt that would be the biggest pain in the @$$.

In regards to making a box on your truck, All you have to do is cut the 2x4 down to a size that fits into those pockets. Then put a Lag Bolt through on the wood.

PM For DETAILS!
Old 11-11-2012, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazor-cut View Post
I've seen leaf loaders mounted to the tongue of a Enclosed trailer... I wouldn't highly recommend it even with an extended tongue... One tight turn and there goes the back of your truck and your leaf loader....

Also I debated on putting one of my loaders on a wagon and wheeling it out every time we used it but I felt that would be the biggest pain in the @$$.

In regards to making a box on your truck, All you have to do is cut the 2x4 down to a size that fits into those pockets. Then put a Lag Bolt through on the wood.
thanks boss
on my truck the hole for the colums to be placed in is only about 8"-10". it has holes for bolts. where would you put the bolt?
in paralel with the ground? or vertically? and i have a sprayed on bed liner. how would i get it in there? thank you very much
Old 11-12-2012, 06:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
thanks boss
on my truck the hole for the colums to be placed in is only about 8"-10". it has holes for bolts. where would you put the bolt?
in paralel with the ground? or vertically? and i have a sprayed on bed liner. how would i get it in there? thank you very much
All you have to do is Put the Sliced down 2x4 into the Stake pocket, then place one lag bolt with a Washer going through the tailgate-side into the wood. Horizontally. I know you can crawl under the truck and screw it in from the bottom but its a real pain and just for the record i have always Done it the way i just told you and have never had a problem. I wish i had a picture...

Not too sure what you're asking in the second question..

The only thing that stinks about installing a box over a Truck bed is, you have to unload it by hand... Thats why majority of the ones you see are installed over dump inserts..

Feel free to ask any more questions... I've build a lot of them with many different mods.

PM For DETAILS!
Old 11-12-2012, 06:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

ok lazor thanks alot i really appreciate it.
what i wondering is how i can install a lag bolt throught he 2X4, when i have a spray on bed cover and dont have access from the bed
thanks a lot sir
Old 11-12-2012, 06:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
ok lazor thanks alot i really appreciate it.
what i wondering is how i can install a lag bolt throught he 2X4, when i have a spray on bed cover and dont have access from the bed
thanks a lot sir
Drill through it? The whole, Which should be OEM should still be there... Unless the/you filled it in.

its only about a 1/4 - 3/4"....
I guess its up to you!

Maybe you can access it from under your truck and just screw it in there.... I have NEVER done that before so im not too sure about it.

PM For DETAILS!
Old 11-12-2012, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

you know i think they didnt spray over those holes. thank you very much!
i wish there were some diagrams / plans/ instructions for doing this.
is it a bad idea to use metal L brackets on the corners to hold the plywood together?
thanks
Old 11-12-2012, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
you know i think they didnt spray over those holes. thank you very much!
i wish there were some diagrams / plans/ instructions for doing this.
is it a bad idea to use metal L brackets on the corners to hold the plywood together?
thanks
I use scrap 2x4's in the corners and drill in from both directions. Like 6" sections.
You have to remember that this will be on the road. With the Pieces of 2x4's in the corner you will have more grab from the screw anchoring everything together...opposed to just a L bracket going through a 3/4" board.

There are many people who have posted their leaf box builds on here
here is one on a dump insert. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=330648

As long as you add vents to the top, screw the plywood into the studs, screw the studs into the stake pockets, You're good! The more ventilation you have the better.

PM For DETAILS!
Old 11-12-2012, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks for your help lazor i really appreciate it
does anyone have that link for the tractor supply website with the mesh tarp?
thank yOU!!!!!!!!
Old 11-12-2012, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

http://www.tractorsupply.com/nylon-m...16-ft--3000407

there it is