Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-16-2010, 01:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Found my next ex-customer

Yes, I'm cranky right now.
If I don't like the price that someone charges me, whether it be for an in home service or vehicle service or a product at a store, I simply don't use them again. Here is what you don't do, unless you want to look for a new sprinkler guy:

Customer: Dana, I gotta ask you a question. How do you sleep at night charging $70 per hour? There are people with PHDs that don't make that much.

Me: For one, I don't sleep at night. Very little, and it's partly because I'm worrying about how to take care of all you folks that don't know what you're doing. Secondly, the guy with the Phd is apparently in the wrong business. Third, if you think that $70 goes in my pocket you don't understand business. Do you realize I have insurance on all 4 vehicles, 3 compressors, general liability, workers comp, insurance on my shop, unemployment insurance. Now let's get to rent, utilities, multiple phone and cell phones, gas, vehicle upkeep, tool replacement, etc. Shall I go on?

We worked on his system twice this year, plus the blow out yesterday. If you don't like my rates, call someone else. It's that simple. Don't try to insult me and make me feel guilty, jackass.

Deeeeeep breath...........
Old 10-16-2010, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Heck, had another one today call for a blow out. When I returned her message I got her voice mail, and politely told her that since she took 6 months to pay for last year's blow out, she can now find someone else.

Leary, if I've learned anything from you, it's to trim the fat.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
If I don't like the price that someone charges me, whether it be for an in home service or vehicle service or a product at a store, I simply don't use them again. Here is what you don't do, unless you want to look for a new sprinkler guy:

Customer: Dana, I gotta ask you a question. How do you sleep at night charging $70 per hour? There are people with PHDs that don't make that much.

Me: For one, I don't sleep at night. Very little, and it's partly because I'm worrying about how to take care of all you folks that don't know what you're doing. Secondly, the guy with the Phd is apparently in the wrong business. Third, if you think that $70 goes in my pocket you don't understand business. Do you realize I have insurance on all 4 vehicles, 3 compressors, general liability, workers comp, insurance on my shop, unemployment insurance. Now let's get to rent, utilities, multiple phone and cell phones, gas, vehicle upkeep, tool replacement, etc. Shall I go on?

We worked on his system twice this year, plus the blow out yesterday. If you don't like my rates, call someone else. It's that simple. Don't try to insult me and make me feel guilty, jackass.

at $70 per hour you can only sleep half as good as you would at $140 per hour.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
at $70 per hour you can only sleep half as good as you would at $140 per hour.
I gotta remember that one.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:

Had a Doc I don't know look at my butt after a colonectomy, took about 3 seconds and billed me $500.00

$70 an hour? You ought to be ashamed, that's pretty cheap for my neck of the woods. Lot of guys charge $160 to show up & $90+ per hour after the first, not including materials; ie Hoover Pump, $167.00 initial charge, Dixie Sprinklers $180 initial charge etc.

Some invoke the "Handyman Clause" (I don't need a license, occupational permits, insurance, etc. because I'm a handy-man) $20 per hour + the cost of a knowledgable licensed and insured pofessional, say $160 for the call & $90 thereafter per hour to fix it if it takes more than an hour. (I'll bring the truck with everything I need on it).
Old 10-16-2010, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:

The problem is simple. THEY DONT HAVE A CLUE.

We get the same crap all the time. People that have no idea what it costs to run a business.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Well I though I posted this in my above post but don't see it.

I had a very successfully general contractor (100 million in annual sales ten years ago) tell me one time. If 20% of your customers aren't complaining about your prices, you aren't charging enough.

When I get these I try and add up in my head how many others complainers I have recently had. Then, I always find 20% of my customers have not complained of the cost and I remind myself I am not charging enough. Lol

The moral of the story is to remember everything in the scale you are doing. If you are doing enough jobs you WILL have complainers. Look at it as a blessing that you have enough jobs to have complainers.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

A contractor who I respected once told me, "you don't want ALL the work."
Old 10-16-2010, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_wheat View Post
Had a Doc I don't know look at my butt after a colonectomy, took about 3 seconds and billed me $500.00............
If you didn't know him, how can you be certain he was a doctor? Might have been an interior decorator
Old 10-16-2010, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We had a PM that we worked with several years back. He called up my Dad and wanted a price to remove a large amount of ivy from a site. My dad quoted it at time and disposal at $Whatever per hour. The guy got all mad at him and said "why is the price so high? Can't you just send out a bunch of Mexicans to take care of my problem?" Needless to say we didn't work with that particular PM much longer.