Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-22-2010, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I am having great success with my rig this year.......I only do curbside pickup......I did 2 full lawn cleanups today and 3 curbside pickups..... Also handed out about 15 business cards while doing the curbside pickups..........20 minutes, 32 minutes, and 24 minutes

Very happy with the new income stream....

'My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it.' - Barack Obama
Old 10-22-2010, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM Ventures View Post
I am having great success with my rig this year.......I only do curbside pickup......I did 2 full lawn cleanups today and 3 curbside pickups..... Also handed out about 15 business cards while doing the curbside pickups..........20 minutes, 32 minutes, and 24 minutes

Very happy with the new income stream....
So I could probably average 2 pick-ups an hour with some extra time for driving and dumping...obviously tight routes could probably help with this.

May I ask what type of prices you charge for curbside pickup? You don't have to be exact but a range or even a minimum would help.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 10-22-2010, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i did one today 2 truck loads it take me 2 hrs wet leaves front of the house was easy. back of the house i had to trap all the leaves out of the back of the house to the truck and i had to go in and out of gate door. 30 or 50 i wouldn't do it for that. my account don't ***** about want i bill them for so why are you.you are not paying the bill .
Old 10-22-2010, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
what i think is insane is paying $50 plus for someone to come and spend what 10 min, lets be generous and say 30 min. at the most, standing there sucking up leaves.

i'd have a hard time charging much more than my hourly rate. especially since my hourly rate already takes into consideration all the items already listed (truck insurance, fuel, etc.)

it's already been said before that i have a totally different outlook on this business. when i price jobs i try to think like a client. not saying that is the determining factor because i do have to make a living and i do have my hourly rate. but what i said above is looking at it from a client point of view. thats an insane price.

i would never pay $100 for just one pick up so i wouldn't expect anyone to pay me $100 for a pick up. i know in this business we try to work smarter not harder, but when people are paying for services they expect physical work to be done. the higher the price the harder and more physical labor work they expect.
Would you pay more if I came to your house with a pickup, some tarps and a rake and shovel? Why do you want us to be penalized for spending money on equipment that makes us more efficient?

You can't charge extra because it takes you twice as long to do the job because you have crappy or outmoded equipment.

And, if they don't pay, put a shovel upside their head.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bad Bob View Post
Would you pay more if I came to your house with a pickup, some tarps and a rake and shovel? Why do you want us to be penalized for spending money on equipment that makes us more efficient?
i think yard28 just don't like people making more then he is
Old 10-22-2010, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the man View Post
i did one today 2 truck loads it take me 2 hrs wet leaves front of the house was easy. back of the house i had to trap all the leaves out of the back of the house to the truck and i had to go in and out of gate door. 30 or 50 i wouldn't do it for that. my account don't ***** about want i bill them for so why are you.you are not paying the bill .
That $50 (or whatever the price) will not cover me tarping leaves from the back and dragging them to my trailer and vac. It will only cover me sucking up the leaves that were piled next to the driveway or road. Basically, the pile that the customer put in the front of their house will be sucked up, not leaves that are in the backyard.

If I have to tarp leaves from the backyard to the front so I can suck them up, it would be considered more of full fall clean-up and would be charged as such.

If an account for me took a full 2 trailer loads (lets say 30 yards) I would charge accordingly...it would not be $50. Like I stated earlier tonight, I can expect to get 5 yards of leaves off of each typical neighborhood lawn (1/4-1/3 acre) that I would pick-up for.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 10-22-2010, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerbrad View Post
That $50 (or whatever the price) will not cover me tarping leaves from the back and dragging them to my trailer and vac. It will only cover me sucking up the leaves that were piled next to the driveway or road. Basically, the pile that the customer put in the front of their house will be sucked up, not leaves that are in the backyard.

If I have to tarp leaves from the backyard to the front so I can suck them up, it would be considered more of full fall clean-up and would be charged as such.

If an account for me took a full 2 trailer loads (lets say 30 yards) I would charge accordingly...it would not be $50. Like I stated earlier tonight, I can expect to get 5 yards of leaves off of each typical neighborhood lawn (1/4-1/3 acre) that I would pick-up for.
all my account are about 2 full truck load and the leaves out back i haul out for them that is why my min is 100.00 all my places will be different then yours.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well I'm looking over some dump trailer prices and it seems like I will be able to get an 83"x12' for $4899 and seems to be pretty well spec'ed. So I'll have to see what my trailer guys would charge to build me a dump trailer when I'm over there later.

And for a leaf loader I'm looking at $2600 or so for a 13hp billy goat.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 10-22-2010, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
Don't forget that the leaves don't magically disappear from your truck or trailer either. You have to go somewhere to dump then.

You have to expect to pay a premium for something that is darn close to an emergency service...at least it is around here..there's very little time between when the leaves stop falling and the snow starts falling.

After you spend a day or 2 vaccing leaves, I think you'd change your mind about how much to charge. It's hard, equipment intensive dirty work!
i guess i'm thinking about all the piles of leaves that are already at the curbs of home owners now and the fact that our city comes twice during the fall season to pick up those piles.

i don't really see that as an emergency service or even darn close to one. there is still plenty of time before the snow flies.

now as it gets closer to that time i could see it being more of an emergency service.

i know leaf removal is dirty work. i come home every day with a face full of dust and dirt from mowing up leaves all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bad Bob View Post
i would be more likely to.

spending money on equipment that makes us more efficient is not the clients problem.

almost none of the services we offer are emergency have to be done right now and as quick as possible services. most of the equipment we purchase that makes us more efficient is mostly to make our work less physical.

maybe i'm ass backwards. lets use mowing as an example.

lets say you have 2 acres to mow. i would charge something that large out on man hours. pick your piece of equipment 36" wb or 52" stander. the 52" stander is going to get the job done quicker therefor less man hours which equals less money the client is invoiced. at least for me thats the way i do it.

i know some guys charge more the larger the equipment is. which doesn't make sense. you pay more the quicker the job gets done? if that were the case clients would say take all day to cut my grass using your smaller equipment so i can get a cheaper rate.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Here is the deal, in my yard I have to make 3 trips to the dump to unload my leaves each fall. I'm using a 6x16 trailer with 2 foot sides and I pack the sh!t out of them to only make 3 trips. Its rarely ever more than 2500 lbs on there but its leaves. It takes me about 2 hours to load it and then I have to drive to the dump 15 mins each way. While at the dump I have to unload by hand, blower or kicking. Yes I know about using a pallet and rope to unload, but there is no achor point at this location. This is not an extreme case here I just have several large hardwood trees. That being said most home owners would have a much harder time than that to get rid of theirs. I think most people are like me and would gladly pay $100 plus dollars not to have to deal with that. It may only take you 30 minutes to suck them up and 30 minutes at the dump, but it would take the average Joe 12 hours to do the same thing. So if you are looking at it that way take a 12 hour job and do it for $100, you just worked for $8.33 by average Joe's standards. Just because you did it faster doesn't mean its worth less, it just means you're more efficiant, I would never discount myself for being faster.

Say you are a home builder and you are really fast at building homes. You can build a house with the same design, spec and quality as my crew but in only 2 weeks start to finish and my crew takes 3 months. Are you going to sell your home any cheaper because of it, we are selling are homes in the same area. As a fellow home builder you're going to piss me off if you sell your home for 60% less than mine just because you have the fastest crew. That would sour the whole market. Just give that some thought before being the loswest bidder and I'm not just talking to one person here, I'm talking to everyone.