Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-23-2010, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bad Bob View Post
You are simply leaving money on the table. People are willing to pay more for a once or twice a year service.
Have you ever heard of charging what the market will bear?
yea, it doesnt make sense. If thats all what his market will bear i would be doing something else.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 10-23-2010, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
Wow...just wow. $30? You're gonna invest $6k in a dump trailer and $3k in a leaf loader, spend time with the customer on the phone, drive there (don't forget truck expenses), do the job, dump your load, invoice the job, enter the payment, deposit the check and do everything else associated with managing an account for $30?!!!!! THAT'S INSANE!!!!
Looking back that does seem a little bit low. We dont have anyone around my area that uses leaf vacuums or anyone that does this sort of work(its starting to sound like this might be a niche for my company...do something no one else is doing). For just a tinsee tinsee pile of leaves..they wont pay much. But obviously I wouldn't accept a job that wouldn't give me a good return. My bad guys....$50+ and if a job wouldn't pay you that...move on.

Shindaiwa T242X
Echo SRM225
Redmax EBZ8001
Snapper Commercial 21
Homemade landscape box
Plenty of soon to comes
Old 10-23-2010, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Industry Pro View Post
Looking back that does seem a little bit low. We dont have anyone around my area that uses leaf vacuums or anyone that does this sort of work(its starting to sound like this might be a niche for my company...do something no one else is doing). For just a tinsee tinsee pile of leaves..they wont pay much. But obviously I wouldn't accept a job that wouldn't give me a good return. My bad guys....$50+ and if a job wouldn't pay you that...move on.
Not to pick on you, but you're giving pricing advice here for something you've never done and yet you started another thread here asking for pricing advice for a number of cleanups of your own. How is it that you can give advice to others on a subject that you need help with yourself?
Old 10-23-2010, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Industry Pro View Post
Best as I can tell I wouldn't worry about getting into the leaf business where you are, there isn't enough in Tyler to justify it. The only hardwoods that you have there are going to be Live Oaks and Pin Oaks and the other few hardwoods in that area will mulch easy. These guys are talking about cleaning yards that can get over a foot of leaves over the course of a month or so and at that rate you can't really mulch them up.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
Trust me, once the customer has the leaves in a pile, it's an emergency for them to get rid of them. They want it done NOW!
must be your clients because most clients in my neck of the woods are fine with the piles sitting out at the curb waiting for the city to pick them up. as long as they gone before the snow flies.

Quote:
You are simply leaving money on the table. People are willing to pay more for a once or twice a year service.
Have you ever heard of charging what the market will bear?
yes i have.....

my business is meeting my goals financially. i didn't start this business to get rich or even close. as long as my needs are taken care of this business is succeeding for me.

i'm not leaving any money on the table. i don't do these sort of once or twice a year services and i have no plans of ever doing them. my prices are right around what everyone elses are.

but i know i would have a very, very hard time charging $100 for one pick up for one client if i decided to do this service. thankfully my clients don't have to worry about using this service since i haul all leaves off the property in the first place. in the truck bed they go and i spend about 2 min. unloading at the compost site. truck unloaders work wonders. drop the tailgate, crank the tarp and your done. i can fit all my clients (8-10) for the day in the truck bed until about mid fall. then i have to stop at lunch and empty then again at the end of the day. by the time the end of fall is near i'm back to dumping once a day.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
must be your clients because most clients in my neck of the woods are fine with the piles sitting out at the curb waiting for the city to pick them up. as long as they gone before the snow flies.
Maybe the difference is that they're not paying the city to pick them up, not directly anyway, and have no control over when they come.

I haven't chased piles for 2 or 3 seasons now. It really depends on how long it takes me to get my regular accounts and any one time full cleanups done. If they're all done before winter sets in, then I'll probably put a box and the leaf loader on my trailer. I'll have to make a new one though...the old one is now part of the my kid's skateboard park, lol. For my regulars, I prefer to go without the vac.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

for you guys using a wood floor dump trailer-try screwing a plastic tarp down-really helps the leaves slide out when dumping!
Old 10-24-2010, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:

yes i have.....

my business is meeting my goals financially. i didn't start this business to get rich or even close. as long as my needs are taken care of this business is succeeding for me.
Not a good attitude for a small business man. You'd probably be better off working for someone else with that "just to get by" attitude. Some of us would like to make as much money as possible and guys like you really screw up the pricing base.

Quote:
i'm not leaving any money on the table. i don't do these sort of once or twice a year services and i have no plans of ever doing them. my prices are right around what everyone elses are.

but i know i would have a very, very hard time charging $100 for one pick up for one client if i decided to do this service. thankfully my clients don't have to worry about using this service since i haul all leaves off the property in the first place. in the truck bed they go and i spend about 2 min. unloading at the compost site. truck unloaders work wonders. drop the tailgate, crank the tarp and your done. i can fit all my clients (8-10) for the day in the truck bed until about mid fall. then i have to stop at lunch and empty then again at the end of the day. by the time the end of fall is near i'm back to dumping once a day.
You must have a glut of lco's with leaf loaders doing this service for nothing.

You can't charge extra because it takes you twice as long to do the job because you have crappy or outmoded equipment.

And, if they don't pay, put a shovel upside their head.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Not a good attitude for a small business man. You'd probably be better off working for someone else with that "just to get by" attitude. Some of us would like to make as much money as possible and guys like you really screw up the pricing base.

You must have a glut of lco's with leaf loaders doing this service for nothing.
it's a free country. as long as my business is providing my needs i will be staying in business.

you really have no idea what my prices are. to be honest i'm actually in the middle of the market in my area. i'm not the most expensive and i'm not the cheapest either. i actually charge very close to my friend who's in the business and he has 4 or 5 guys that work for him.

as for the LCO's with leaf loaders. there aren't very many. i've seen half a dozen leaf loaders around each season. there are 2 very large companys that have them and one "middle sized" company that i saw had one the other day and you might see a few guys who look like there solo who have them.

it's really, really hard to sell a service like that in my neck of the woods. since the city does it twice a year and if you pay taxes you are paying for that service. most people want to get the work out of the city since they paid for it.

most of the LCO's doing fall clean ups mow them up with there grass catchers and dump those in there truck beds. a few actually dump them on the curb for the city to pick up.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Member

You really have to consider the amount of money your putting into your set up like Gesner pointed out. How many leaf jobs are you going to need to make back the $10,000 you have put out on equipment, insurance, labor? People are willing to pay for a service that is only once or twice a year, and if they dont want to pay, then its not worth your time to lose money doing work.
Just the other day I quoted somebody a price on leaf removal and I was turned down because she got somebody to do it for $75. For that price I dont expect that company to be in buisness for long.