Register free!

Old 10-19-2010, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just got done installing my first pond (Pics)

Hey guys, I just installed my first pont. I have done a couple pondless waterfalls before, but this is my first pond.

TONS to learn on these things but I think it turned out okay. Like I said, my first pond so go easy on me.

Some digging:

It wasn't fully done in the pics, actually re did the right side (By the fence) of the pond on the outside of the liner with bigger rocks and also mixed some medium sized rocks in along the front so there weren't a bunch of small ones.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks great! B+. A few low growing plants in front of the wall would help soften that area. You will prolly get rid of the Waterbell fountain especially if you add fish. Those small pumps constantly clog. How deep did you go?
Old 10-20-2010, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadpole View Post
Looks great! B+. A few low growing plants in front of the wall would help soften that area. You will prolly get rid of the Waterbell fountain especially if you add fish. Those small pumps constantly clog. How deep did you go?
Thanks, I forgot to say plants will come in the Spring along with lights. The home owner just threw that little fountain in because he had it laying around, he may take it out. It is probably about two and a half feet at the deepest point.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If the homeowner has not already added fish, recommend to them to hold off until Spring on them as well. Fish in your area are already probably going into their lower winter metabolic state. Moving fish always subjects them to stress which lowers their immune system. Add this to the fact that their immune system is already becoming weaker with the lower temps and they could have some very sick fish come Spring. They will probably need to purchase a Pond heater for next winter.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I would say you did a great job, a large improvement in that backyard. I would try and upsell some other things like a wood fence and some new beds around it. BTW nice truck.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadpole View Post
If the homeowner has not already added fish, recommend to them to hold off until Spring on them as well. Fish in your area are already probably going into their lower winter metabolic state. Moving fish always subjects them to stress which lowers their immune system. Add this to the fact that their immune system is already becoming weaker with the lower temps and they could have some very sick fish come Spring. They will probably need to purchase a Pond heater for next winter.
Also forgot to mention that. He threw some cheap goldfish in for this year to see how they do over winter. I think he is planning on putting in a bubbler for now to see how they do over winter before he buys any other fish for next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstarlawns View Post
I would say you did a great job, a large improvement in that backyard. I would try and upsell some other things like a wood fence and some new beds around it. BTW nice truck.
Thank you. The mulch bed next to it is a garden that he will be freshening up next spring.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Member

I think it looks great. I know all about the "first" pond issues.

Once you get plants, both in and out of the pond, it will be very nice.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks Niagara, I appreciate it.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Great job on your first pond! Nothing to be ashamed of there.

Daniel