Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-20-2010, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Irrigation pro subbing out irrigation.

Can someone explain to me why a irrigation company subs out irrigation? Just wondering did a very stupid water damage cleanup job that we found out was caused by the irrigation line open ended INTO a corner of two stores. His excuse was its impossible to watch all his subs. I just dont get how even in a large job like a mall you need to sub out three stoned dudes and a ditchwitch.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooterm View Post
His excuse was its impossible to watch all his subs.
That guy ought to be hung by his short hairs, he broke the cardinal rule of being a contractor: "You are responsible for everything that happens on your watch, including liability."
Old 10-21-2010, 07:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's his responsibility to cover anything his subs did. He better not get away with it.

When the demand calls for it, some companies sub out. I sub out to another LS member here when we have too much work. Happens all the time.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

He probably does both irrigation and plumbing. The sub just got confused.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I sub out stuff sometimes. I also do landscaping and sometimes a landscaping job will bring in more $$$ so if I get a irrigation call when I am too busy I sub it out to a friend.

The difference is before ANYTHING is covered I come by and do an inspection. Even though he is a good friend, I have to keep the reputation of my business up, and I keep a close eye on things that could cost me money.

To answer your question "why we would sub it out"-

The most dangerous thing in landscaping and irrigation is to grow too fast. I keep as many employees as I can keep a close eye on and when the work load gets too much for that number of guys, I go to my sub list.

There is nothing like putting money in the bank when all you did was show up and check to make sure it was up to spec.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
That guy ought to be hung by his short hairs, he broke the cardinal rule of being a contractor: "You are responsible for everything that happens on your watch, including liability."
This covers it all. I try as hard as possible to stay only residential, but I do some commercial work as well. The job I did last week the general contractor was leaning over my shoulder the whole time. He wanted to make sure I was doing the work correctly. THAT is his job.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by txirrigation View Post
There is nothing like putting money in the bank when all you did was show up and check to make sure it was up to spec.
True that. Explaining to subs and their workers HOW it should be done without them copping a attitude and sabotaging the site is a art that takes some time. One of my leads got into it with the landscapers once and they, knowing enough about irrigation and pissed off at his "ordering them around" (they were my subs) cut a common and inserted the wires back into the king blue. I came unglued once I found the dastardly deed (my lead had no clue what happened) and had a very heated talk with the landscape owner. I reamed both my guy and the landscapers and sat my guy down and explained some of the facts of life concerning "gentle" contracting.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Every sub I use works under me once to see how I get things done before I will use them. I make sure they know what I expect before they step foot on a job for me.

I have had many guys never return a call after the first time, but that means I did not want them working as a sub anyway.

I take them to lunch after the first job and explain that both of us can make a lot of money, but I expect things to be done right or I will just call someone else. Simple as that.

Like I said it runs a lot of them off, but the ones that stay have never given me trouble.

Also I am 25, and a lot of older guys don't like to listen to a younger guy.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by txirrigation View Post
Also I am 25, and a lot of older guys don't like to listen to a younger guy.
Punk azz kid........
Old 10-21-2010, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
Punk azz kid........
Dana is 26.