Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-22-2000, 06:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have been using Lesco's Momentum liquid for spot trestments of weed control in my lawns, buy am not seeing the results that I expect. I mixed it at the high end of the recommended rate, 1 oz. per gallon, and &quot;spray to wet, but not to the point of runoff&quot; as the label says through a backpack sprayer. <p>I try my best not to spray if rain is expected within 24 hours, and always spray the tank the day it is mixed. <p>I am also using the Lesco spreader sticker in the mix, .5 oz. per gallon, (I think, can't remember off the top of my head). <p>I see some weeds starting to die in about two weeks after application, but not all. I am facing just about every weed under the sun, in one lawn or another, and seeing the same results under many conditions. This leads me to believe that it is something on my part that is causing the problem. I know from the past posts, that others have had succes with this product, and speak highly of it. <p>Could it be a bad bottle of chemical? Something wrong with my mixing/application techniques? <p>What are some of the other selective broadleaf herbicides that you folks are using/have used? I am about half way through my supply of Momentum, and am considering trying something else. What about the Trimec products? I am unfamiliar with that line. <p>Any insights, thoughts, questions, comments...
Old 06-22-2000, 07:39 AM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

1 oz. per gallon seems a little light, I mix 1.5 oz. per gallon in cool temps. and 1.3 oz. in warm temps.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>The Grass is always Greener on the other side of my competitors fence
Old 06-22-2000, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My calibration is per 1,000 square feet, not per gallon.<p>The reason why you're not getting good control is because you're mixing too light.<p>I fill my backpacks from the same tank as my boom sprayer, which is 10oz Momentum per gallon of water. (1:12 ratio)<p>I know my solution is very concentrated, and you need to mix for the spray nozzle and pattern you're spraying. <p>Calibration of back-packs is tricky, but the bottom line is you're not using enough chemical.
Old 06-22-2000, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Direct from the label<br>&quot;Targeted zone or spot treatments using protable sprayers- Mix 0.5 to 1.0 ounces of Momentum Premium Selective herbicide in enouigh water to make one gallon of apray and apply at any time broadleaf weeds are activly growing. Target plants should be sprayed to wet but not beyond the point of runoff.&quot;<p>So, I did exactly what the label said (isn't that the first thing that is stressed in licensing requirements?) and that failed me. <p>Lazer- isn't that quite a hot mix? I understand that it is OK for use in low volume boom sprayer, but for a handheald or a backpack, isn't it too strong? Do you have a problem with the grass yellowing? <p>I guess what I should have made a little more clear is that this is for spot treatments only, a weed here and there, not a blanket application across the whole lawn. <p>I will mix a &quot;hotter&quot; batch tommorow, and see what happens.
Old 06-22-2000, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've been using the same thing since last year at 1oz per gallon, we just started some new lawns and did first spot spray about 6 weeks ago. These lawns were bad to start with. Went back to do second this week, mostly knotweed and violets were all that was left. But a whole lot of both! I was thinking to ask the same question. Worked good on the rest of the weeds though.
Old 06-22-2000, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My broadleaf back-packs have very low volume tips on them. I certainly don't spray 'til wet. <p>I did have a problem with turf yellowing 3 years ago when I started using Momemtum, but it was very mild and only 2 incidences when I was trying to control veronica.<p>Because back-pack spraying is such a wildcard, I'm sure that's why the manufacturer recommends such a light rate.<p>It may take some time & experience, but you'll soon get the balance of how strong to mix and how wet to spray the leaf.<br>
Old 06-22-2000, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I work for a lawnspray company in FL I like atrazin works well here ?
Old 06-22-2000, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lazer- Good thought on the manafacture recommending a lighter mix for backpack, it is very dependent on operator appliaction.
Old 06-22-2000, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lazer, <br>I know how hard it can be controlling women & keeping them in line; good luck with Veronica (just kidding)<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>
Old 06-22-2000, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am here in floridia and I heard that atrazine might be taken off the market that would be devastating.