Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-21-2010, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Marketing nightmare

In Jan we went with a small paper here for a little bit of marketing. It is called "the coffee news". Price was fair and was given the option of canceling it after 6 months if it was not producing the results we wanted. Well 6 months came and it was barley paying for its self. So I had the contract canceled. I made a mistake and did not get it in writing. So flash forward to today. I call up my pay roll company and they tell me there is not enough money in the account for all the checks. I go to the bank and find 1500 dollars missing. Seems "the coffee news" felt they needed to take money out of my account.

I called them hoping it was a over sight. After the owner yelled at me for 5 min she then refused ot refund the money!!
I went back to the bank, seems we cant put a stop payment on it untill its posts to my account (10/25).

Then I get back and there is a fax from the news paper stating that the money was owed for the rack cards and image work. Never mind that the rack card and image work was done on a trade for work at their house. Matter of fact I went in the hole on the job cause they changed their minds 4 times.

Now I cant say "dont do business with The Coffee News" as all are locally owned. But do NOT do business with the one in Charleston SC. They are crooks and will exploit you every chance they get.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Mistake # 1, giveing out your bank account #. With all the crooks around the world, why do people still give out thier personal information. Let them invoice you just like you do your customers.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Oh trust me, I have learned my lesson. And the 2001 season all marketing will be done in house, as well as any canceled contracts will have a written agreement attached to it.

Sad part is he used a portable credit card machine when he came to the office once a month to collect payment.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like you got screwed, there are very few people/business these days that you can actually trust what they say.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldnt say he got screwed but rather put himiself in a position to get taken advantage of. Getting stuff in writing is essential and if you dont, people will continue to do stuff like this. Rather expensive lesson, hope it works out for you.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah, its essential these days to have a written contract. Otherwise, you're gonna find yourself screwed over by whatever party has more power (in this case, them, as they have your bank info)
Old 10-25-2010, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Member

My many years in banking tells me you should dispute the charge as a fraud transaction.

Unless they can produce something stating that you agreed to pay that amount, the bank may favor on your side. Generally companies like this cringe at the fact that they are having charges disputed.

You said they didn't have you sign a contract therefore it's a verbal agreement, which means that your services that paid for part of the service are a legitimate part of the agreement as well.

Definitely don't stop fighting it if it's a legitimate disputable transaction. It's not fraud, because you agreed to do business with them, so don't throw that term around, it'll put you in a worldwind of transfers through the bank, but I would certainly dispute the transaction!!!

Good Luck
Old 10-26-2010, 01:49 AM
LawnSite Member

well, if nothing else, look on the bright side. you taught me that coffee news is not a great marketing tool in that it barely pays for itself. thanks for the post and sorry you are having issues with them. i hope you get your money back quickly.
Stihl BR550 Back Pack Blower
Echo PB 200 Stick Edger
Echo Straight Shaft Trimmer
6'X12' single axle trailer
Greentouch Xtreme trimmer racks
Greentouch Xtreme Backpack blower rack
Old 10-27-2010, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i think we have that coffee news around here in southwest florida, and at one time thought about advertising in it. thanks for the heads up on it. i do my advertisimg in the local papers and it seem to drum up some business.