Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-26-2010, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

WOW! I don't know much about pond construction- but the quality looks excellent and aesthetically, I can't imagine a nicer setup. That should sell a few more jobs! Is this the largest you've done?

Great work. ....would not want to get that invoice in the mail!
Old 10-26-2010, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes, external gas heater and it doesn't have any problems keeping up with our coldest days. As you know it isn't necessary, but the customer wanted it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectEarth View Post
Is this the largest you've done?
It is the only one I've done. It was a doozie for my first pond. I think it was a job of a lifetime.

Thank you for all of your comments.

Daniel
Old 10-26-2010, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That was your first job!!!!!!!!!!??????????? Your f'n nuts to try something like that to get your feet wet on. But it turned out gorgeous and I'm impressed. Great job!
Old 10-26-2010, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah, it was an adventure for sure. It was a blessing it all worked out. I did tons of research to prepare for this job. Many late nights.

It is a long story, but I was maintaining this property and the customer and his assistant stood with me at the end of the old nasty pond and said they wanted to renovate it. I knew it would be their fourth renovation from what I heard and I knew if I didn't do it, it wouldn't be right.(and right or wrong I was going to have to maintain it!) Out of the blue they looked at me and said, "Well, Daniel... you want to do it?" I said sure. No questions about if I knew anything about koi, ponds or water features. Nothing! They didn't even want plans, they just wanted me to get started. I did!

I hope to do several more ponds. They are a lot of fun.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Concerning the gas heater. I have researched them but have not been able to find any first hand reports as to their operational range (I take what the manufacturers and distributors say with a grain of salt). What I am asking is--What is it's effective heating range from the ambient temperature? For instance, if the water temp is 40F, what is the max temp that the water can be heated to. I have been toying with the idea of a Salt water Pond to house Tropical Fish. The water temp could not be allowed to fall below 75F-80F. How has this heater performed during the Two (2) winters that Koi were present in this Pond?
Old 10-26-2010, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Member

This heater is made for swimming pools and I believe it can go up to 85 degrees F, BUT let me double check that tomorrow.

We keep the water at 65 F and the heater does a great job with it. The pipes inside the heater are also coated with nickle(i think) so there is no copper that touches the water.

I will also get the manufacturer and model # for you.

Check out the koi spa below.
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2010, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The ones that I have checked out are made for the large indoor aquariums and supposedly only have a heating range of 20 degrees F above ambient, which is not worth a crap for outdoors. Hadn't thought about swimming pool heaters. DUH!
Old 10-26-2010, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

you heat this??????????????? there is so much surface area that the heat loss must be crazy
Old 10-26-2010, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i did pools.... this is a really big really big loss of heat..... but if so crazy.. love it would love to have this person as a costumer
Old 10-26-2010, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

On second thought, a swimming pool heater would not work in a salt water system. it must be Titanium otherwise it will corrode.

I ain't thinking straight.....tired.