Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: Best color for an open ramp gate trailer?
Black 7 70.00%
Green (any shade including hunter or John Deere) 2 20.00%
Red 2 20.00%
White 0 0%
Other: Silver, Yellow, Blue, ECT 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-21-2010, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Survey- Open Ramp Gate Trailer, Best Color?

What color do you think works best on an open ramp gate trailer?

Example is my 6 1/2 x 12 rampgate trailer which at one time was a hunter green, now just a faded rusty hunter green. I like hunter green because it blends with the suroundings better and is less of an eye sore.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I think black is the overall best but if I had a green or red truck I would have my trailer match it. On you trailer there you have high framing similar to mine, you could get some 5/4" deck boards and close that in. It makes a great partially enclosed trailer for hauling mulch and pine straw. I also use it to haul out brush and hedge clippings.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstarlawns View Post
I think black is the overall best but if I had a green or red truck I would have my trailer match it. On you trailer there you have high framing similar to mine, you could get some 5/4" deck boards and close that in. It makes a great partially enclosed trailer for hauling mulch and pine straw. I also use it to haul out brush and hedge clippings.
This winter I am filling in the 3 foot high sides with expanded metal and building a cage that locks as well as repainting it. That or I may buy a new or newer tandem axle 6 1/2 x 12 trailer with 3 or 4 foot sides, haven't decided yet. I want to haul brush and mulch if needed plus make it harder for theft.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

The expanded metal is hard to unload brush from. I usually take a 20' steel cable and lay it in the floor of the trailer and then load brush and tree limbs on top. After loading I will then put one end of the cable through the eye of the other end. When I arrive at the dump all I have to do then is drop the gate unstrap and then attach the eye the cable to an achor point and drive out from under the load. It normaly take me about 5 minutes to unload a 2K lb pile of brush from my 6x16 trailer. If you have expanded metal sides the buut of the limbs will get caught in the side of the trailer.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstarlawns View Post
The expanded metal is hard to unload brush from. I usually take a 20' steel cable and lay it in the floor of the trailer and then load brush and tree limbs on top. After loading I will then put one end of the cable through the eye of the other end. When I arrive at the dump all I have to do then is drop the gate unstrap and then attach the eye the cable to an achor point and drive out from under the load. It normaly take me about 5 minutes to unload a 2K lb pile of brush from my 6x16 trailer. If you have expanded metal sides the buut of the limbs will get caught in the side of the trailer.
Good point. At a John Deere dealer I worked for they had a Peterbilt with flatbed and an expanded metal dovetail ramp. Had to deliver a tractor with a brush hog to a customer. The rear saftey chains on the rear of the brush hog got caught in the expanded metal floor and I liked to never got it free.

I may consider deck planks or sheet metal. I have a pile of old commercial retail shelves I was going to take to the scrap yard but I may use the metal for my trailer.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hot pink with polka dots would be my choice
Old 11-15-2010, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oskier View Post
Hot pink with polka dots would be my choice
Maybe on an enclosed trailer, but not an open one.