Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-17-2014, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Tough moss on berm. Help me control

I have a berm at my own house that is due to be woodchipped. I have huge piles that have been donated to me from local tree guys. I have this "moss" growing on top of the dirt and through the old wood chips that I have had a dandy of a time getting under control. I have tried round up, that hardcore roundup from John Deere, and tilling it up. It does not pull up easily like the traditional mosses I have dealt with before. Would some type of iron kill this stuff? It is a huge berm, I will provide more pictures soon. These were a few I took before I had to head out. I want this stuff eradicated as it grows through the chips. Thanks in advance
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2014, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Generally moss is associated with acidic soil such as those wood chips. Try using heavy lime to counter the tanic acid. There is a fast acting lime available at box stores that may help. Anyway it's a cheap way to try and go from there.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Good call, with these warm temperatures i will buy a few bags of the powdered stuff and nuke the area.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Cycle View Post
Good call, with these warm temperatures i will buy a few bags of the powdered stuff and nuke the area.
Actually, do it now. Lime takes a while to activate. Although you're in Massachusetts, I've been there on Buzzards Bay up to Maine and realize that the frost line is deep. I have a friend around Lake Sebek (beautiful) en where they can deliver building supplied on the frozen lake.

Anyway, if you can catch a sunny day--go ahead and spread it so it can gradually work.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Member

probably going to grab some tomorrow and put it down, pretty sure it is going to be nice out. i will post pics, it will be like a science experiment. thanks agan!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-18-2014, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Moss is usually the result of heavy shade. Acid soil not required--I have plenty of moss in my shady yard--the soil pH is 6.8.
And moss usually requires plenty of moisture--not a problem in areas like Greater Phoenix.

Scotts makes a moss control product. Contains mainly iron sulfate. Slight help on my yard.

Quicksilver is labeled for certain types of moss.

Although...ACTUALLY...the picture doesn't really look like moss. Moss is like green velvet. No true leaves, stems, roots, or flowers. If its not really moss--go after the weed with Speedzone. A positive identification is important here.