Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-23-2010, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Member

walker bagger mower and leaf removeal

We just got a walker bagger with a 48 inch deck for leaf removal and possibly for mowing all our properties next year. I went to a yard yesterday to do trial and error to see how long it would take it was a normal 12 to 15 min. yard for my toro with 60 inch deck it took an hour and a half. Between the pine needle's clogging the chute and the deck and the 12 times I emptied the hopper I thought I would go crazy. In the meantime the other guy blowing out the mulch beds stood around for 30 min. waiting on me. this is my first year doing leaf removal any suggestions would be great.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

More experience is the only way you are going to learn.

If its an older Walker the blower fan may be a little worn which affects suction and how much it shreds. If it's a small engine that will also have a negative affect.Go slow--let the machine do its work. Explore other ways to mulch it down a little first.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If the fan housing is dented it can cut down on efficiency too. Try different blade combos. Gators tend to shred leaves and needles into confetti. Please tell me you aren't charging mowing prices for leaf removal. Where are you dumping, could your guy be loading while you cutting? Someday I will get the biggest diesel engine they offer with the lift and dump hopper.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-23-2010, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

When doing leaf cleanups with my Walker, I just dump[ed the leaves directly onto my landscape trailer. As soon as the hopper filled, I would the mower backwards up the trailer ramp/gate. My helper stayed on the trailer. He would quickly dump the hopper and
I would drive off the trailer and to where I left off. Meanwhile, he wold use a scoop shovel to keep the leaves heaped into the front of the trailer. When needed, he would take a blower and blow leaves out of beds and corners so I could get to them.
we could load that trailer in no time and finish a good size yard in just an hour while our competitors at nearby houses were still struggling along with their 21" machines.
I remember dumping 4200 lbs. of leaves at the local landfill one time. We collected them with the Walker in about 4 hours.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
If the fan housing is dented it can cut down on efficiency too. Try different blade combos. Gators tend to shred leaves and needles into confetti. Please tell me you aren't charging mowing prices for leaf removal. Where are you dumping, could your guy be loading while you cutting? Someday I will get the biggest diesel engine they offer with the lift and dump hopper.
Posted via Mobile Device
Gators on another mower first ,then suck up with walker ?Or gators on the on the walker mower one shot deal ?
Old 10-23-2010, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Gators on walker. Although if you have extra help and mower. Pre mulching not a bad idea if the leaves and needles are thick . Leaves take some experimenting.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-23-2010, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Member

its a used mower with a diesel motor. it does really good except with pine needles maybe I was going too fast. as for pricing we are charging 50 percent more than the mowing price for now haw do you guys price leaf removal?
Old 10-23-2010, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

40 to 55 per man hour for anything over your mowing time! Value your time and equipment and remember you got to eat in january too!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-23-2010, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Really depends, wet thick with lots of beds to blow or rake out. 1/4 ac usually get 350.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-24-2010, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Member

do you guys go back once a week or every two weeks or just remove them one time?