Register free!


Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #31  
Old 10-25-2010, 05:58 AM
1idejim's Avatar
1idejim 1idejim is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: State of Jefferson
Posts: 7,035
just thought these were cool
Attached Images
         
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 10-25-2010, 07:24 AM
Wet_Boots's Avatar
Wet_Boots Wet_Boots is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: metro NYC
Posts: 40,619
Interesting stuff, there. I wonder what difference is seen in poly pipe versus PVC pipe in the zone plumbing, when it comes to that startup banging.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 10-25-2010, 08:07 AM
FIMCO-MEISTER's Avatar
FIMCO-MEISTER FIMCO-MEISTER is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Red State America
Posts: 18,701
Very interesting stuff Jim. where did you find all that?

If it's from surge into empty pipes in the laterals I can't see that poly would make that much difference on the banging. Never used or studied poly so just a guess.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 10-25-2010, 10:14 AM
Kiril Kiril is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: District 9 CA
Posts: 18,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
just thought these were cool
I have seen this site before, but you really should link the source if you are going to attach the images instead of linking to them directly.

http://www.liquid-dynamics.com/
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 10-25-2010, 11:44 AM
WalkGood WalkGood is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
It's not so much a hammering, but the rumbling due to high velocity from stretched zones.
.
.
.
If I remember right, the zones are at about 18 gpm with a 3/4" copper supply line. Pressure has been increased to keep the zone working.
Does the rumbling happen all the time the zone(s) is/are open? Or just when it opens? I've heard this rumbling with high water pressure when the valve first opens. Kinda like the valve diaphragm is farting (bouncing open/shut) .... bbrrraappp bbrrappp brrap! I am thinking that the high water pressure is "fighting" the solenoid. Shakes the copper lines that are not secured. Would a very large expansion tank help in this situation?
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 10-25-2010, 11:52 AM
Wet_Boots's Avatar
Wet_Boots Wet_Boots is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: metro NYC
Posts: 40,619
Throttle down the zone valves for a start
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 10-25-2010, 11:53 AM
Kiril Kiril is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: District 9 CA
Posts: 18,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Does the rumbling happen all the time the zone(s) is/are open? Or just when it opens? I've heard this rumbling with high water pressure when the valve first opens. Kinda like the valve diaphragm is farting (bouncing open/shut) .... bbrrraappp bbrrappp brrap! I am thinking that the high water pressure is "fighting" the solenoid. Shakes the copper lines that are not secured. Would a very large expansion tank help in this situation?
I don't think this is due to high water pressure as I have seen this occur (diaphragm slapping) with low water pressure (~ 50 PSI) as well.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 10-25-2010, 02:26 PM
1idejim's Avatar
1idejim 1idejim is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: State of Jefferson
Posts: 7,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
Interesting stuff, there. I wonder what difference is seen in poly pipe versus PVC pipe in the zone plumbing, when it comes to that startup banging.
poly, poly, poly, badgerbadgerbadgerbadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIMCO-MEISTER View Post
Very interesting stuff Jim. where did you find all that?

If it's from surge into empty pipes in the laterals I can't see that poly would make that much difference on the banging. Never used or studied poly so just a guess.
middle of the night search pete, i don't sleep more than a few hours straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
I have seen this site before, but you really should link the source if you are going to attach the images instead of linking to them directly.

http://www.liquid-dynamics.com/
doggone man, just last year i could barely type and mitchell was going to stomp a mudhole in the middle of me for my lack of sentence structure. i'll try harder, structure is still lacking too.

no one noticed the clown...............................
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 10-25-2010, 02:44 PM
Kiril Kiril is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: District 9 CA
Posts: 18,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
doggone man, just last year i could barely type and mitchell was going to stomp a mudhole in the middle of me for my lack of sentence structure. i'll try harder, structure is still lacking too.
No worries here .... just trying to keep you from getting slammed by someone for jacking their content without proper referencing. Actually, it is better to do what you did than link the pic directly (which I do and shouldn't) because that amounts to stealing bandwidth.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 10-25-2010, 05:05 PM
Mike Leary's Avatar
Mike Leary Mike Leary is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cactus Hug, Arizona
Posts: 20,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Actually, it is better to do what you did than link the pic directly (which I do and shouldn't) because that amounts to stealing bandwidth.
I did not know that, thanks Sonny.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:53 PM.

Page generated in 0.10249 seconds with 8 queries