Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-28-2010, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Not to be nosy or anything but where and when did you learn to hardscape? Don't get me wrong it looks pretty good but I am just curious?
Old 10-28-2010, 01:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

No I hear ya, lots of people have asked me that. Basically I have wanted to do one for a while but never had the chance until now and I was really nervous about taking it on because I had never done one. I basically read alot of things from suppliers, manufacturers, and online resources(bad idea because many are geared towards homeowners). I know many other landscapers in my area so I talked it over with them before starting the project.

I really had no hands on experience, but I just figured I would give it a try. I learned so much and don't regret it at all. I know many guys stray away from hardscapes if they don't have the knowledge.

Have you done any hardscaping? Are you looking at getting into it?
Old 10-28-2010, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Member

With no experience/references in hardscape how were you able to sell your customer into doing the job?
Old 10-28-2010, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well first off it was for my cousin, however he is 42 so he is more like my uncle, but I treated him just as I would any customer. I have done general landscape work for many people that he knew and they referred my name to him.

I landed the job the same way I would go about any job. Present an itemized estimate that looks professional, explain the process step by step, and present yourself in a knowlegable and professional manner. I was very specific in how I was going to do the job which I think helped sell it. When guys come in and say "well we'llstart by digin er out real good with the skidder, get the class 5 compacted real good, and lay a nice level sand bed, blah,blah,blah." Unless you have a book of references to show, that doesn't sell a job.

I'm not trying to tell you I'm some super salesman or anything, I just used the same principles I have learned right here on lawnsite. Its all how you present yourself.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Nice job man! It looks really good, get some more pictures once you finish the plantings and stuff. Keep up the good work!
Old 10-29-2010, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE-llc View Post
you don't run the compactor directly on the pavers, unless you want to f@ck em all up and replace em for free.
We also run the plate tamper to set the sand in. In the last 10 years I can say we damaged maybe a dozen pavers doing it that way. If you get careless you could chip the corners of the perimeter but other than that I have never seen any other problem.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good job man, running the tamp is prolly not a problem, I would probably lay down cardboard. Taking ROP classes in masonry is a good way to pick up a good amount of knowledge. Hands on experience is mandatory as well however. Your smart for attempting this on a family members house before going out to a customers house. That's what I do, I use my house for experimenting.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Looks good. Bravo for having the guts to try something new and the integrity to do it correctly and well.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If they are concrete pavers it's fine to run the tamper on them....if they are clay pavers they will pop. Rubber on the compactor is the way to go (which we dont do or have...$$$). I really like the idea of carpet, gonna make something up that can easily be taken off and put on...don't want carpet when you're compacting base.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks everyone, just finished up the last bit of sod this weekend so we are done until the spring, it was a massive relief loading all my tools into the truck and pulling away!! Thanks again.