Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-26-2010, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Using Hunter controller for 110v security lighting.

Looking for opines on my idea to use a Hunter controller for my vacation house when I am gone.

I want to rig a few 24 vac relays to a controller and hook up several lights throughout the house to give me more off/on times for the lived in look. I would be able to use the different programs for start times and also zones for relays for different areas of the house.

I know I have too much time on my hands to be looking at stoof like this but play along please.

John
Old 10-26-2010, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

http://www.homeauto.com/Products/HAI...iLt/omnilt.asp
Old 10-26-2010, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Doable with a pump start relay
Old 10-26-2010, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Is the vacation house wired for central control?
Old 10-26-2010, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The house is not wired for central control. Hence the idea for a controller with cords going to lighting from the relays.

There are some inexpensive Honeywell relays at PEXSUPPLY. $12 ea. plus shipping.

I think these relays and a controller will suit me well. I will have 5 months to ponder and work it out.

John
Old 10-26-2010, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcom View Post
The house is not wired for central control. Hence the idea for a controller with cords going to lighting from the relays.
Sounds like a fire waiting to happen. Use products that are built for this purpose.

You also might try this. With the UCS-01 and some switches replaced (or use lamp modules) you can forgo the home automation panel.

http://www.simply-automated.com/
Old 10-26-2010, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You can get all the relays you need for a song on ebay. I think your project develops by way of the constraints you place on it. If step one is that you will use an irrigation controller, step two becomes bringing controller output into the areas you want to control. Since the 24VAC controller output matches that of a heating thermostat transformer, you would use thermostat wire to carry control signals.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't see how there is any more of a fire hazard than anything else that is plugged in in an occupied house. As long as I use good quality conductors and plugs for the lighting.

I plan on making a relay "board" and all terminal connectors will be snug. If a relay should fail, it would simply not turn on its' light.

And I will be using thermostat wiring for the control cable.

Thanks for the opines.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I believe you may be missing something here. You have to consider the possibilities if anything shorts out. If this project was placed in my hands, then I'm counting up the number of "zones" of control desired and installing the appropriate thermostat wire to new low-voltage boxes placed near existing power outlets. For each lamp or appliance being controlled, you would construct your own version of a pump-control relay. That is, a relay in a box, with its own circuit breaker, that plugs into an outlet, and that other devices can plug into.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I had a (ex) contractor friend wire some stuff like that: house caught fire, total loss. Fire Marshall tracked it down to the clock and pump-start relay, insurance company refused to pay. I think he's selling shoes somewhere, now.