Register free!

Old 10-26-2010, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Fire insurance is why you ultimately bag the idea and stick with UL-approved control equipment. A BSR X10 system can't be all that expensive.

I do remember seeing a home with wiring that would adapt to central control. There were banks of power relays in the basement, and thermostat wire led to switches upstairs.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the idea of the relay box by the outlet WB. I could easily put the boxes together with a circuit breaker for each one.

But I am taking the fire danger under consideration. I am going to look at some of the sites with the automation controls and see what it would take to install something that would be effective as well as safe.

No doubt the folks on this site have durn good ideas on many issues and ideas.
This is another example of that.

Snowstorm tonite and tomorrow. Dim bulbs are calling for blowouts. I will stay indoors until storm is gone.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would make each box I built its own safe little electric world. Same kind of push-button-reset circuit breakers as was included in old electromechanical controllers. Equip it with its own power cord to plug into an ordinary power receptacle. Their connection to your control signals is where you are on your own, and ultimately, where this whole project can become a bad idea. Not because it is unsafe in concept, but rather that it matches nothing "legitimate" you see in homes today.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Look into Controlscape or some other UPB products. They aren't cheap but they're safer and a lot more flexible.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Like everyone says it sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Why not use a total control or a weathermatic sl with more programs / start times?

I actually suggest this product
http://www.smarthome.com/1091/X10-LC...r-XPMT4/p.aspx

Get a few modules and plug them into your lamps/ lights and have them turn on/ off through out the day.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The X-10 and modules looks like the cats patootie to me Mitchgo. Thanks for the input. I will be using the setup with the lamp modules next spring when we leave the vacation place.

John
Old 10-27-2010, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

damn, there goes the relay-controlled House of the Future
Old 10-27-2010, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

X10 is a lot better than it was but still not very reliable. The technology is old and prone to flakeyness. If you do use X10 instead of UPB, you will absolutely need to install a phase coupler. Actually, you should install one regardless of which powerline bus you use. In the long run though, you'll be better off with UPB.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

How about setting up a few Clappers (clap on, clap off) at the lights, and a stereo with a CD on a continuous loop with someone clapping every few hours?
Old 10-27-2010, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcg View Post
X10 is a lot better than it was but still not very reliable. The technology is old and prone to flakeyness. If you do use X10 instead of UPB, you will absolutely need to install a phase coupler. Actually, you should install one regardless of which powerline bus you use. In the long run though, you'll be better off with UPB.
I agree. X10 (and RF), while considerably better than it was, is still not as reliable as UPB IMO. I will note, even with UPB a phase coupler is a good idea as well.