Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-26-2010, 11:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Non GMO Corn Gluten

Hey everyone. I'm looking for a good Non GMO Corn Gluten Meal source. I realize this may be akin to looking for an organic compost source but still, I have hope, for both. But I'll start with the Gluten. Anyone?
Old 10-27-2010, 07:35 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoguy View Post
Hey everyone. I'm looking for a good Non GMO Corn Gluten Meal source. I realize this may be akin to looking for an organic compost source but still, I have hope, for both. But I'll start with the Gluten. Anyone?
The only non GMO corn that I know of is a farm up Canada, the name escapes me right now but I will be back. I know most of the bagged lost OMRI status to be used in organic farming

The issue is the Bt toxin that persists in the soil, interesting timing on you posting this, we just had our liquid corn gluten meal tested for Bt toxin and it came back at 0.00% so our Gluten-8 willl soon be OMRI
Old 10-27-2010, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Bill. If you could pass along the name of the farm, that would be great. I wish I could use your products but I'm guessing the border is still an issue? Please explain what the Bt toxin is?
Old 10-27-2010, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The company is called Tate and Lyle, I am getting that from another source and that is all that they gave me
Old 10-27-2010, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

GM corn is modified genetically to have the Bacillus thuringiensis gene or Bt, Bt is consumed by the pest and it inhabits its gut and kills it from the inside in most cases. There are many that say that the pest population has already made a work around so now most of the corn in the world (because they cross pollenate) has the Bt trait. Monsanto owns the rights to Bt corn, therefore they actually own the rights to most of the corn in the world, pretty slick. They have sued many farmers that have had their crop cross pollenated and continue to genetically modify plants and their seeds...............and continue to tell everyone that they are safe and or course there are no problems

when corn is processed into corn gluten meal the toxin is still present and it will persist in the soil acting as a pesticide. OMRI will not allow corn with GM or Bt toxins in its make up so it is not considered organic unless you can prove that your material is free of the Bt toxin