Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-12-2010, 06:05 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
Zedo,

I name my projects. What shall we call this one??

How about we leave the name calling to you.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

nice looking work. Just such a shame to have a nice patio and look out into steel sheds and above ground pools...
Old 11-12-2010, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Zedo,

I was looking at these photos again and two things came to mind. First, if I am looking at this correctly, you actually backfilled around that above ground pool?? How did you do that, exactly? I would be scared my fill would settle.

Second, How did you secure those rocks/boulders together on top of each other next to the edge of the pool? I don't see any mortar. So either you did a great job of concealing the mortar (which is what I suspect) or you used some sort of adhesive???

Third, it's a shame you don't have any better pier caps than that. The 4 little square tiles on top of each pier doesn't look as nice as the pier caps I usually use and see around here. The ones we use look like this;

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 11-12-2010, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Also, I noticed in the landings above the steps, you have the steps and then another border inside the steps as well. We normally don't do it that way. We would normally just use the border that the steps create and then just do straight pattern inside that. But I think your way looks better. Is that standard practice - to always have a border on your pavers - even when there is already another kind of border? It looks awesome. Just more work, I guess. I never would have thought of doing that.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 11-12-2010, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Amazing work and absolutely kick a$$ design...but, i'm with marc. Did the homeowners tell you what they wanted design-wise or did you suggest this? It doesn't seem to fit in with the context of the rest of the property. From a design perspective, the views are horrible imo...on and off the hardscape. I would love to see an aerial view of the property to get a more overall feel. Maybe the pics aren't showing something. If the house is that big, why are the sheds so close? Where's the yard? Still, the work is some of the best i've seen.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSmith View Post
nice looking work. Just such a shame to have a nice patio and look out into steel sheds and above ground pools...
To the last few guys who commented on the steel sheds. I've mentioned it somewhere here or there, don't remember where exactly, but the homeowner originally specified a patio, thats it. He wanted to keep the above ground pool, of course since I designed the patio we had a few words and the above ground came out, he has a cottage already and didn't even want a pool, hense the size of this one. The original home was levelled and this one built, of course no guy would ever remove two sheds that more or less were not in the way of his new home, but saying this now that the patio and pool are in the next phase is to remove the siding and reface with some type of natural or synthetic stone and 2 huge french type doors , this will become a bar of the sort, basically an extension of the patio now. Also as far as pictures go I cannot get anything decent, the overall size is quite large, its just under 100' across and 60 to the pool from the house. Next season we will do the softscape and get prof. pictures of the project.
The caps yes there are nicer units, and we have used some one piece caps in the past and we did talk about it, these were mainly used to set pots on since the back yard needs all the color it can get. Cheap yes, effective ...yes.

The stones are mortared and they are also very heavy, no one is going to push it over.