Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-13-2010, 07:38 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by backhalfeds10 View Post
So i am new to this Christmas lights gig. Been mowing for years starting my own business this year. So question how do you guys bid these commercial Christmas light gigs. Do you charge by the foot or what
All that information is here, just do a search. It is not buried too deeply or too long ago.
Some items are bid by foot, by bulb, by piece. Depends on what aspect you are looking at.

I will suggest that you NOT look into the commercial market for at least the first year or two. Get your feet wet first, you can lose your butt in the commercial market if you dont know what you are getting into....
Old 12-13-2010, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

well havent really sat down to finger throught the stacks and stacks of paper on my desk but I think we are at 12 new jobs this season with about $3,000 in add ons. I started marketing to a town out west that generated 7 of the new jobs. Had tons and tons of calls from there (about 5 a day) but had a hard time closing. After the first few proposals with light links not going good we started really pushing the C-9s instead of LL and started closing jobs immediatly. Still had tons of price shoppers and was losing jobs to guys charging $2.00 a foot or $18 per strand to hang. I dropped my per foot down a bit just to close some jobs and did ok. I already have a few of the customers wanting to add on next season so will do very well there next year.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Congragulations!!

I found the exact same situation here. Once I set the light links aside so to speak, things took off, actually put up about 1000 lf of c-9. I believe that is going to be my big push. I still offer the light links by all means, but when people tell me they don't need something that is completely different, I tell them, "ok then I can save you alot of money." I still show them in the catalog just in case, but have become a true fan of c-9.
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Multiple trailers, hand tools and smaller stuff
A son to teach the value of life, business and honor
Old 12-15-2010, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Seasonal Business

I like the info on yard signs. It is amazing how many people don't use them and they are really cheap to buy. I have gotten away from them but I need to go back to the basics. I've used http://www.yardsignsorlando.com/
before and they were pretty good. I think I paid less than $5 each with stakes.

If you are getting a good deal on them, let me know as I will be ordering some more the first of the year. FYI-those were the coroplast ones so they last quite a long time.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

#47 today. feels like the last one. still working pretty much full days keeping a carpenter busy finishing up pallet racks, building spools, and then going into my shop doors.

I am officially spent. although I took a day off sunday after working 42 days straight, I need another few. I just can't really think completetly straight or physically do what I need to do to start preparing the warehouse for takedowns. Christmas day is 9 days away, and then takedowns start. crazy.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Haven't done anything since Saturday. I am a bit disappointed, but on the same note relieved if that makes any sense. This season so far really took a lot out of me, HOWEVER, I believe I did discover quite a few answers.

Dave I think somewhere in one of your posts you mentioned it takes a couple years to really learn this business, with what I experienced this year, what an understatement (not any derogatory implication headed your way whatsoever, please do not see it that way.) The learning curve is tremendous. I do believe that I am better armed so to speak for next season now though. I discovered ALOT as for where to commit advertising $, that c-9 are a current product, not a has been and of course there is the man power issue, and getting paid as usual. For all the people just getting in or looking at it, ROI on c-9 is fantastic comparatively, and you can create a beautiful and elegant presentation with them.

I thought I had a fair handle on things last year, it seemed as though it was easier. WOW, did I learn alot!!!!!
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Old 12-17-2010, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gretzmier View Post
#47 today. feels like the last one. still working pretty much full days keeping a carpenter busy finishing up pallet racks, building spools, and then going into my shop doors.

I am officially spent. although I took a day off sunday after working 42 days straight, I need another few. I just can't really think completetly straight or physically do what I need to do to start preparing the warehouse for takedowns. Christmas day is 9 days away, and then takedowns start. crazy.
Dave, what do you build spools for, extension cords perhaps?

Elves and Company - Holiday Decorating
Old 12-18-2010, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I put c-9's on spools. take an 8 foot 2x4 and cut it into 5 equal pieces. dado 3/4 of an inch in the middle of 4 of them, so putting them together they make 2 x's or crosses. the 5th is the spindle and glue and screw together. you now have a very sturdy spool that can hold about 300 feet of c-9s with all in one clips attatched. with practice you can spin or wind it with a toss of your hands, as well as unwind it. If wound tight, They stack fairly nicely 3 tall before getting tipsy.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Merry Christmas all!!

Scored a final one on the 23rd, then increased with an add on yesterday that finished up at 1530. Go figure, we had less than 9 hours left and I hit one, WOW.
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger