Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-02-2010, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I also use the HBL program, first round landed last week and 5 calls already with one firm estimate for Saturday, phone tag with the rest.

I also had a storage unit last year, however, it was costing me a fortune so I am utilizing a 18x8 trailer I have right now. Looking at getting my hands on a couple retired box trailers.
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Multiple trailers, hand tools and smaller stuff
A son to teach the value of life, business and honor
Old 11-03-2010, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have a thread on here somewhere about my new building addition with photos. I have went from storing stuff on a few shelves at a rented building about 10 years ago, then filling a 10x40 and a 10x20 mini-storage units up until buying a 9 foot sidewall 2700 sq. foot building 5 years ago, to expanding that building this year by adding a 3100 addition with a 21 foot sidewall or so.

I think I did the math on the building thread, but it seems you need 64 cubic feet of rack storage volume per customer on average, if you have mixed c-9, light link, garland, and wreath customers like I do. That may seem high, but I know it is what I use if you add it up. That does include the necessary rack space to keep a bit of new product and replacement parts on hand as well.

we do our own mailings and postcards and have gotten pretty good results so far this year as well. postcards work, but are expensive.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:15 PM
Sponsor

Hi there - I don't want to intrude on your forum but I saw one of our customers mentioned our Stick-It product. I know one of the main things I hear from my customers trying to spread their word about their business is the desire to find a cost effective way to keep the post card in view of the customer... or even just keep it on the door until they get home if you are distributing door hangers.Just wanted a moment of your time to tell you about our products that help keep your advertisement on the door and off the lawn. Our Band-It feature is specifically designed easily & securely attach your door hanger to EVERY door. The Stick-It feature even allows them to bring your ad inside and hang it on the fridge like they would a magnet - but without the cost! We have a great start up special on our innovative Door Hanger Band-It Stick-It products and even offer free design services if you mention this forum post!

5,000 only $349
2,500 only $199
1,000 only $99
FULL COLOR PRINTING, GROUND UPS SHIPPING & RUSH PROCESSING INCLUDED! - 4.25" x 11" - full color front, blank back, gloss cover stock

We offer 6x9 FULL COLOR postcards with Stick-It for as low as 26 CENTS each INCLUDING POSTAGE.

SEARCH Lawnsite for Adeas Printing & see what other members are saying about us and our products. TELL CUSTOMER SERVICE YOU READ ABOUT US ON A LAWNSITE FORUM & RECEIVE FREE CUSTOM DESIGN!!
www.AdeasPrinting.com
866 - 778-4254
stickit@adeasprinting.com
Old 11-03-2010, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Member

I used Adeas printing for my Lawn service and I plan on using y'all for the Christmas business. Great people to work with and the best price's I found !
Old 11-04-2010, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

if that is correct on the postcard stuff at 26 cent each, that is a heck of a deal. we pay 26 cents just for saturation ( the cheapest rate- walking routes ) postage and addressing on cards.

we pay 6 cents each for 6x11 cards, and then about 200 bucks to ship 10000 cards to my house. the first time I paid that I though the shipping was high, until I got 10 boxes that were about a foot square each from UPS. 10000 postcards that size are heavy and take up space.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

if that is correct on the 6x9 postcard stuff at 26 cent each, that is a heck of a deal. we pay 26 cents just for saturation ( the cheapest rate- walking routes ) postage and addressing on cards. Thier website lists 5000 cards for that rate includes 2 hours of graphic design work on the card and "stick it" which allows the postcard with a peel off to become a post-it. pretty great deal. at 1300 bucks, I might try it once to see the response rate.

we pay 6 cents each for 6x11 cards, and then about 200 bucks to ship 10000 cards to my house. the first time I paid that I thought the shipping was high, until I got 10 boxes that were about a foot square each from UPS. 10000 postcards that size are heavy and take up space. so really we pay 8 cents each printed and delivered. 6x9's would be closer to 7 cents shipped, but a 6x11 card is really hard to ignore in a mailbox, and is the largest card you can do on saturation mail rates.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:59 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gretzmier View Post
if that is correct on the 6x9 postcard stuff at 26 cent each, that is a heck of a deal. we pay 26 cents just for saturation ( the cheapest rate- walking routes ) postage and addressing on cards. Thier website lists 5000 cards for that rate includes 2 hours of graphic design work on the card and "stick it" which allows the postcard with a peel off to become a post-it. pretty great deal. at 1300 bucks, I might try it once to see the response rate.

we pay 6 cents each for 6x11 cards, and then about 200 bucks to ship 10000 cards to my house. the first time I paid that I thought the shipping was high, until I got 10 boxes that were about a foot square each from UPS. 10000 postcards that size are heavy and take up space. so really we pay 8 cents each printed and delivered. 6x9's would be closer to 7 cents shipped, but a 6x11 card is really hard to ignore in a mailbox, and is the largest card you can do on saturation mail rates.
Let me know if you need any pricing for unaddressed cards in the future ~ we also offer 5.5 x 11 cards and all of the "mailed" pricing is listed on our website. www.AdeasPrinting.com/post-cards

You can always email me directly at robin@adeasprinting.com if you like or PM me through lawnsite. Thanks! Robin
Old 11-04-2010, 03:00 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoates View Post
I used Adeas printing for my Lawn service and I plan on using y'all for the Christmas business. Great people to work with and the best price's I found !
Thank you for your kind words!! We appreciate your business. - Robin
Old 11-06-2010, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

meeting to close #12 new client this year tomorrow morning and #13 on Sunday. season going very well so far this year.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

what a difference 8 days makes to one's perspective about the year. I have not been updating this thread for a reason, and that is I am not selling much of anything and not doing hardly any appointments at all. my last post I was going to close #12 saturday and then #13 on sunday last week. comparing year to year is driving me crazy. I did get #12, but #13 did not work out. I have probably had a dozen appointments since then, and finally closed #13 on Wednesday last week, a good one, 8k, but only a few appointments since. we put out 14 signs today, and I have 2 appointments for monday in good neighborhoods, but no appointments at the moment for tomorrow.

really weird feeling in my gut this year, because on Nov 5th compared to last year I was doing great, but now I am pretty far behind last year, mainly because last year I went on a great streak and sold jobs like crazy. but honestly, last year I had to because I had sold only 3 jobs up until the 9th of november. I thought I was really in trouble and then it hit like crazy.

so I had the same conversation with my wife that I had last year about what do we do if the flood gates don't open like they did last year.

we are booked all 3 crews with work pretty much rehang work through 2 days before Thanksgiving, and I have everyone off tomorrow to rest, except for myself and one worker who will finish up a job in the morning before church.

hoping to chime in here in a few days with great news about all the work I am closing, but since I can only conceivably promise 3-6 folks that we can get their jobs up thanksgiving, That may be all the work I can close in the next week.