Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-20-2010, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

No problem Dennis, if you get voicemail, leave a msg, I will call back asap.

To David's point, I dont even bring samples or catalogs with me to the door anymore. Just a pen, biz card, portfolio, estimate sheets and blank sheets to draw on. I leave the sample bag in the car just in case. Never brought links to an estimate, to damn bulky, if it doesn't fit into a duffle bag to carry, it doesnt go with me....

I have one pic of blizzard light links in the portfolio, buried, just in case someone "wants something different than the neigbor" the first sell is always c-9 as it is less costly for everyone I have never walked thru a door trying to sell links, I know Mike doesnt want to here that, but we still sell them anyway...Yet we still sell 4-5 customers on links a year...

BTW by sell I mean rent, we have never sold and will never sell...
Old 11-20-2010, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

That is exactly what my thoughts were this am, pardon me, but scr*w the LL. I am going to tell them point blank, we can do something that can not be replicated unless they come from me, but it is going to cost about 2x the amount.

C-9's really aren;t covered in the training, it really drive home the LL. THey definitely are nice, unique, hold up fairly well except for one house I do that half of them blew off the damn thing again already. But C-9 is where I am headed now. I got 2k lf of cord, 3k bulbs, clear, opaque and clear colored, if HBL is out, I know that I can get them from other distributors, pay a little more, but I know I can get em. I am going to use LL as the high estimate, c-9 as the low, and then as a middle, they can use the add on(s).

I have tried being nice, bending over backwards, got no where. I am starting to see why Christmas Decor got so large and popular. I actually put a call into Texas the other day. Must be something to there plan to have franchises nationwide.
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Multiple trailers, hand tools and smaller stuff
A son to teach the value of life, business and honor
Old 11-20-2010, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

That is exactly what my thoughts were this am, pardon me, but scr*w the LL. I am going to tell them point blank, we can do something that can not be replicated unless they come from me, but it is going to cost about 2x the amount.

C-9's really aren;t covered in the training, it really drive home the LL. THey definitely are nice, unique, hold up fairly well except for one house I do that half of them blew off the damn thing again already. But C-9 is where I am headed now. I got 2k lf of cord, 3k bulbs, clear, opaque and clear colored, if HBL is out, I know that I can get them from other distributors, pay a little more, but I know I can get em. I am going to use LL as the high estimate, c-9 as the low, and then as a middle, they can use the add on(s).

I have tried being nice, bending over backwards, got no where. I am starting to see why Christmas Decor got so large and popular. I actually put a call into Texas the other day. Must be something to there plan to have franchises nationwide.

Every sign I have is going out this coming weekend. All or nothing go for broke.
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Old 11-20-2010, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf hokie View Post
No problem Dennis, if you get voicemail, leave a msg, I will call back asap.

To David's point, I dont even bring samples or catalogs with me to the door anymore. Just a pen, biz card, portfolio, estimate sheets and blank sheets to draw on. I leave the sample bag in the car just in case. Never brought links to an estimate, to damn bulky, if it doesn't fit into a duffle bag to carry, it doesnt go with me....

I have one pic of blizzard light links in the portfolio, buried, just in case someone "wants something different than the neigbor" the first sell is always c-9 as it is less costly for everyone I have never walked thru a door trying to sell links, I know Mike doesnt want to here that, but we still sell them anyway...Yet we still sell 4-5 customers on links a year...

BTW by sell I mean rent, we have never sold and will never sell...

I do it just like this. (except I dont offer light links, just C9's and mini, and icicle lights every now and then)

Our biggest hurdle has always been showing customers the value of choosing us over the low ballers. Now, we have a point by point sheet we use that goes over why we are the top tier option, and also some awards and recognitions..etc.
Then we go over the project and do the bid right on the spot.

Just because you know you are the best, doesn't mean everyone else does. You have to work on your sales pitch, practice, practice practice!
Old 11-20-2010, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Finally, let me rephrase that FINALLY got the first one today. I completely disregarded the LL and stuck with C-9. Going to be doing about 110LF clear C-9, and 24 sets or so of blue mini, will look something like the picture that Brite Lights has.

Bryan, Dave, HotRod, thanks for the encouragement, this has been one heck of a learning curve this year. For now one, LL will sit in the background so to speak, will be first weapon chosen for a completely non replicable presentation or an upgrade.

Got another going on, they want price emailed to them, scheduled appointment and then spent 5 minutes told me what they wanted, handed me a business card and left. 4 48" mixed noble with bow, 8 noel battery operated LED with bow, all mounted over windows, 4 lamp post wrapped will also be mixed noble, pillars at front door and then swag across the top of door way. .3

Next one scheduled for Monday. Nightmare in front of me tomorrow, resetting first job from last year, used alot of LED mini snowflakes, and so far 4 do not work at all. What a nightmare this is gonna be. used them like ornaments in trees, one of them being a 35' high blue spruce. No fun gonna come of this.
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Old 11-20-2010, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey addictedtolandscaping,

I dont post much on this forum , but I do lurk every now and again. I wanted to say to you that your desperation is coming through to me as I read your posts. I have sold Christmas lights for the past 5 years at least. I have a system that works great and it was taught to me by the former largest and most successful Christmas Decor lighting biz in the country and at one time it was here in Atlanta.

You have to make it fun , to me to get somebody to spend $10k on holiday lighting is absolutely as fun as it gets. But people do it every year. Christmas lighting is an emotional purchase.People either want it or they dont. If you get a guy or gal who is picking you apart on BS linear footage or how many lights are in a tree , 90% of the time that is not your customer. The people that want to buy have a number in their heads and they want you to show them how to get to it.

I take sometimes at least an hour and here is the key> Dont skip any steps.!
I meet with the homeowner , do all my measurements , do all the addition and figuring up, and go over it with them , and give them a line item by line item menu for them to choose from.Doing all the measurements shows them that you are taking your time and it establishes trust. That is the key. You are prying the wallet open and it is fun!! Walk them through it and then go back to the top and start asking them what they want as you go through it again. " Now I measured 165 feet of C-9's and that is an option. Or you can have icicles but they are more. I think we should start out with the C-9's , i think it will fit your architecture better. Dont you? "

You are the expert , even if you arent one, yet. And the more successful seasons you have , it all builds on each other.

I can only do about 7 calls a day max on my system and I have had days where I closed 6 of 7. Thats a lot of walking and a lot of talking. It can be done. If you want more info , then PM me.

If you are not having success right now , then you need to change something. But also its early yet, I have sold jobs on December 14th!! There is plenty of time to make up $14k. 4 jobs sold and you are golden so dont give up. Hold your prices to make sure you make your money back , go flyer some neighborhoods of nice homes , call everybody you know , cold call big churches and nice office buildings and businesses. It is not even Thanksgiving yet.
(770) 402-8837
www.southeasternoutdoorlighting.com
Old 11-21-2010, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

So glad you closed a job ! awesome dude, keep it rolling. I would not throw out the LL alltogether, but I do have a light link, garland, and a 4 foot noble wreath in the back of the truck. I start the conversation with what is your dream on decorating this home, and some folks need ideas, so I go to -do they want something different? or do they want something similar to what most folks do? light links are for 2 types of folks- the mentioned folks who want something different, and folks who want perfect icicles. everybody else wants c-9s.

closed 5 jobs today !, never done that before, but one was with a postdated deposit check, so I am not counting that til it clears. so I am at 24. funny thing, now I am 8 days ahead of when I hit 24 last year, so now I am already worried about closing this many jobs next year. go figure.

having postcards hit on wednesday /thursday this week was perfect. set a bunch of appointments, and closed 2 good size jobs ( 2.5k and 3.5 k) from postcards that I spent about 1300 on, so I covered the cost of the mailing, but makes the 5k job from service magic seem like a deal for the 100 or so I have spent in crummy leads for the past week. had one smaller 670 ( yellow pages) and one decent 1500 that I forgaot to ask where he found out about us.

and the arkansas razorbacks won in double overtime at mississippi state taking the hogs to 9-2 ! and my 3 crews finished all scheduled work today except one tough job that will get finished up tomorrow.

3 appointments tomorrow, and a couple scheduled for monday as well.

overall, an extremely great day !
Old 11-22-2010, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

did 4 appointments yesterday, and although I got a confirmation on one, no checks. so no new jobs. did sell a couple of add ons. I have something working on a POA subdivision deal that I will share at some point if it works or not. have a few appointments today and one tomorrow.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Member

We have a nice job to hang tomorrow. Seems like this weekend really blew up. We got 8 calls wanting estimates. And one called early this morning. Seems like the next two weeks will be crazy.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Have officially closed 2 this year, one was an upgrade to LL, not alot made on it, but the exposure in the 500k plus neighborhood will help. Rehangs is what I am concentrating on, am ok with not making alot the first year, it is the repeat that has most of my interest. Average on the rehangs if 700-1000. Not to bad when considerring that all the work - measuring etc is done in year one, all yo ugot to do is show up put it back up, and you already know where the quirks are so it goes alot easier.

In the midst of doing one now that has turned into a nightmare. 11 of the LED snow flakes that I got last year s.t.b. Called 4 times today, and can;t seem to get an idea of how and what happens. My client is blowing my phone up on an hourly basis. The tough part, client is essentially doubling the mini;s from last year, had it figured for 8 hours again for the rehang, now am at 8, large blue spruce is only half done, rain here, got a solid 8 left on it, then have to come back when I finally know where the snowflakes are going to be at. LED's, were displayed for 30 day, and died. Something smells bad about LED's to me now.
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger