Register free!

Old 12-09-2014, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Choosing a vibratory plow

I am new to the site, only posting several times, but finding this site has proven very useful considering vast amount of knowledge passed between contractors and workers. I am preparing to open my first year of business after finally getting my license following 5 years of indentured servitude to my former employer. I am in the need of a vibratory plow and have several machines that I have found for sale. I am curious to what would be preferred by the guys on this site.

Option 1: Case-Maxi Sneaker C series late 90's model.

Hours: 1207 It has comes dual tires, a blade, boring attachment plus 1 bore head and 3 rods
Overall the condition looks to be good.
* was used for phone hook ups

Asking price: $4400

Option 2: Case-Maxi Sneaker C series late 90's model.

Hours: 2680 It has single tires, trencher 36', a blade, and boring attachment with 2 rods.
Overall the condition is fair, definitely weathered.
*was used for irrigation

Asking price: $4800

I will almost exclusively be doing residential irrigation, but having a machine with over 30 hp would help in yards where I frequently do work. My boss only had a 255 WITHOUT the boring attachment and so when we went under sidewalks we would have to hit a long lead pipe underneath. Once the tip of the bar was expose the poly(typically 1") would be jammed on. One guy would push the poly while another would whack the other side with a sledgehammer providing enough vibration or bounce for the bar along with the 1" poly to be pushed back through the initial hole.

I never want to do that again. So getting something with a boring attachment is a must. Obviously all legitimate companies have one.

All suggestions are significantly appreciated.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would keep looking for a 255 with a boring attatchment.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I had a maxi for about 7 years set up with trencher/plow/bore. It served me well but I replaced it with a DW 410 and haven't looked back. Hands down a far superior machine. I also have a Vermeer LM 25 for small jobs, it's ok but the gas engine is a pain.

Something to think about with the maxi, and this is one of the reasons I got rid of mine. The maxi line has changed hands something like four times and toro owns it now. Parts for the older models have been hard to find as the dealers who used to carry them don't have distribution rights anymore and the new distributors don't have their act together. A friend of mine had the fan break on his maxi this summer and it took 2 months to get one. I sold mine while it still worked and now it is Francisco's problem.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

410 is the machine to have. LM42 is a decent alternate.
the only issue some of the rest guys run into is the width, as it won't get through all the gates. 255 does, i think. but can be lacking in power in some of the harder soil conditions.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the response guys, I buy all my stuff from Atlantic Irrigation, a plumbing, lighting, and irrigation supplier that also has a repair division. Obviously if there was a repair I couldn't handle it would go there and I would get boned. I would love to get the 410, but it's difficult around the northeast(or it seems to be) to find a quality machines at a reasonable price. There appears to be a bit of a mark up since they aren't s common. There is a ditch witch dealer in mass and they had a used 255, low hours but they are asking 11,900 for it, without the bore! I suppose I will just keep my looking, thanks again.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackHarding View Post
Thanks for the response guys, I buy all my stuff from Atlantic Irrigation, a plumbing, lighting, and irrigation supplier that also has a repair division. Obviously if there was a repair I couldn't handle it would go there and I would get boned. I would love to get the 410, but it's difficult around the northeast(or it seems to be) to find a quality machines at a reasonable price. There appears to be a bit of a mark up since they aren't s common. There is a ditch witch dealer in mass and they had a used 255, low hours but they are asking 11,900 for it, without the bore! I suppose I will just keep my looking, thanks again.
Keep looking. You may be able to find a 255 from a landscaper who got out of irrigation or the like. I bought my second one from a bank who held the note on it. Be prepared to pay more then what the machines you are currently considering are selling for. A used 255 with a Honda motor and under 1500 hrs is a deal at anything under $9k
Old 12-09-2014, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Of course, once the supply chain for Sneaker parts gets reestablished, the older machines will become a good deal. I don't remember a ton of gripes abut those machines when Case was the source - only that an LM-42 and DW 410 had more power.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Member

That c series has generally good reviews despite being dated. It has the kubota diesel which is highly regarded. There is a case dealer in ct but they currently don't sell case vibratory plows,not to my knowledge.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackHarding View Post
That c series has generally good reviews despite being dated. It has the kubota diesel which is highly regarded. There is a case dealer in ct but they currently don't sell case vibratory plows,not to my knowledge.
Davis started the line, sold to case, sold to astec, sold to toro. The kubota will do 5000 hrs no problem but the rest of it will rattle apart before then.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-09-2014, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Haha, that's what I've been told. Hopefully whatever I get holds up for 2 or 3 years or until I get something new.