Register free!

Old 05-30-2015, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Tree watering

I'm looking at a tree project that will require us to plant around twenty oaks (Red and Live) as a type of screen. I'm curious to know if anybody has used the speciality tree watering systems from Rain Bird. The literature on those devices is quite compelling. Specifications are for 4" caliper trees and we are bringing in new irrigation via battery controller (no power nearby) and required one year maintenance on the trees. If these deals work as advertised it would certainly give the trees a big head start. Any info is appreciated.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Use them all the time, no major issues here. Probably have installed close to 3-4,000 of them (between Rain Bird and Hunter, depending on either our spec or project preferred product).

Just did a walk-through on Friday of a project with 60 of them and they are requesting additional for other trees (that were additional \ not in spec).

Have another pending project that has over 1,000 of them going next spring.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

is this the root basket looking thing?
Old 05-30-2015, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsteve View Post
I'm looking at a tree project that will require us to plant around twenty oaks (Red and Live) as a type of screen. I'm curious to know if anybody has used the speciality tree watering systems from Rain Bird. The literature on those devices is quite compelling. Specifications are for 4" caliper trees and we are bringing in new irrigation via battery controller (no power nearby) and required one year maintenance on the trees. If these deals work as advertised it would certainly give the trees a big head start. Any info is appreciated.
They work awesome. We have installed hundreds of the Rain Bird RWS. We use them on trees that are 24" box and larger. No issues or complaints with them.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. So no additional surface drip etc. needed to start then. One more thing, the literature said for heavy clay soil you may fill the basket with pea gravel and possibly surround the basket with small rock to help distribute the water more evenly. The area will be clay like most of the ground here, so I should do that as well?
Old 05-31-2015, 07:00 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Your talking about this
http://www.rainbird.com/landscape/pr...sories/RWS.htm

The thing I wonder about these is you install it close when the tree is a sapling and 10 years later the head and pipe is enclosed in the tree.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Member

That's a good point. The literature seems to indicate that you abandon it. I did read where you could install a second set further away, for down the road as the tree matures. Maybe someone with actual experience can weigh in. I'm guessing the outer set wouldn't be necessary if the tree got a good initial start up with deep roots.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Just thinking, maybe a ring of drip around the sapling. As the tree grows the piping and drip would need to be moved back and maybe done away with as the tree matures.