Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-29-2014, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Need Advice

I have a current lawn maintenance customer who has asked me to take over the maintenance on his irrigation system. It's a pond fed rain bird system. That's all I know at the time. He called me after I had been out there and I haven't been back since he called to inspect it all and get to know the system. I am totally new to irrigation and he is aware of that and is allowing me to learn on his system to help me expand my knowledge. My question is what is normal maintenance on these systems and what do I need to be looking for as problems. Please keep all the smart comments to yourself. I'm just trying to learn and have ran into an opportunity that's will allow that. I will no do anything that I am not 100% certain on. Just looking for some pointers from the experts. Thanks.
2006 Exmark LaserZ 60" cut, 30hp Kohler
2011 Robin NB2250Z trimmer
Redmax EB4401 backpack blower
Old 06-29-2014, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

My first answer is, sub it out. But you might consider that a smart comment.

You might want to give us more info to start with? It's a rain bird system? That is still way to vague to even start giving you suggestions. Take the time and start reading through the irrigation threads, you will find the answer to most questions are already posted. If by chance you can't find the answer, then ask a specific question and maybe someone will answer it.

Keep money aside because you might mess something up and have to get a sub to fix your work, the sub will probably charge you more for a few yours than you charged the customer. Also, are there any irrigation licensing requirements were you are?
Old 06-29-2014, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisL230 View Post
My question is what is normal maintenance on these systems and what do I need to be looking for as problems. Please keep all the smart comments to yourself.
Right off the bat you placed limitations that far exceed our expectations.

You need to do a lot of walking, a lot of talking. Take a lot of pictures, buy some tools and troubleshooting equipment (like a DMM) for times when things don't work. Spring startup and fall winterizing time frames. Read everything from jess Stryker to bill Derryberry and then some.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-30-2014, 06:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Prime and start the pump. Set the controller. Do a walk thru checking all zones to make sure all heads come up , rotate and retract.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

....and always check the blinker fluid....