Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-03-2014, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Jim I need your help

Tomorrow I have to go pull 10GA wire from a house to a pump. I tried tracing the wire with the Pro 800 last time I was there and got to much interference. When I used broadcast mode I picked up all kinds of things.

This wire goes from the basement out under a porch through a conduit. I need to hook up from the breaker box and trace it. However I can't get a good ground to do so. I could use some expertise.

Thanks,

Jay
Old 09-03-2014, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayinDetroit View Post
Tomorrow I have to go pull 10GA wire from a house to a pump. I tried tracing the wire with the Pro 800 last time I was there and got to much interference. When I used broadcast mode I picked up all kinds of things.-
If I am following you correctly Jay, you're tracing wires for damage prevention.

I would suggest that you direct connect to the pressure switch base. It is grounded and will produce a cleaner ground.

Earth grounding is the key to "clean signals", there are numerous ways to condition the earth ground but I find that most irrigation locators are either unaware of or ignore the earth return and just turn the output up. Try wetting the area down just before locating and soak the area around the earth return ground stake.

Locate at the lowest output level you can. This will discourage unwanted signal coupling or bleeding onto nearby conductors.

Quote:
This wire goes from the basement out under a porch through a conduit. I need to hook up from the breaker box and trace it. However I can't get a good ground to do so. I could use some expertise.

Thanks,

Jay
If the above suggestion don't help, you can always run a spare wire to complete the circuit (or close the loop) and connect one lead to each of.......hell Jay just give me a call in the morning. Check your pm box
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-04-2014, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
If I am following you correctly Jay, you're tracing wires for damage prevention.

I would suggest that you direct connect to the pressure switch base. It is grounded and will produce a cleaner ground.

Earth grounding is the key to "clean signals", there are numerous ways to condition the earth ground but I find that most irrigation locators are either unaware of or ignore the earth return and just turn the output up. Try wetting the area down just before locating and soak the area around the earth return ground stake.

Locate at the lowest output level you can. This will discourage unwanted signal coupling or bleeding onto nearby conductors.

If the above suggestion don't help, you can always run a spare wire to complete the circuit (or close the loop) and connect one lead to each of.......hell Jay just give me a call in the morning. Check your pm box
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks Jim. I just got to the job site. There is an issue with the existing wire somewhere along the run. I have 230 at the breaker box but only 11 at the pump. I could not trace the wire last time so I'm going to pull all new wire.

I'm going to try what you said above. I'll call you if I get lost (which is highly likely) thanks Jim.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-04-2014, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayinDetroit View Post
Thanks Jim. I just got to the job site. There is an issue with the existing wire somewhere along the run. I have 230 at the breaker box but only 11 at the pump. I could not trace the wire last time so I'm going to pull all new wire.

I'm going to try what you said above. I'll call you if I get lost (which is highly likely) thanks Jim.
Posted via Mobile Device
No call today Jay so I assume you got bye alright.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-04-2014, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you pull wire Jay?
Old 09-04-2014, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
No call today Jay so I assume you got bye alright.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes Jim it worked out perfectly actually. I did exactly what you said. I unhooked the wires in the breaker box and hooked the red to one of them.

I then used single strand and ran that from my Pro800 out about 70 feet into the yard and watered it down with the hose. Once I did that I got a great signal.

As soon as I went outside I picked up the signal from the wire and it was about a foot deep. Something I thought would take me hours to find to me 20 minutes.

I can't thank you enough for your help.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhettMan View Post
How do you pull wire Jay?
We use the Maxi with a blade that lays the wire down nice and neat, especially if we are pulling poly. I think its called a T blade or something like that. The spool of wire is mounted to the roll bar of the maxi and is fed down into the blade and it pulled kind of like poly.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If old bad wire was in conduit why not just pull new wire through it?just wondering
Old 09-04-2014, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
If old bad wire was in conduit why not just pull new wire through it?just wondering
It was not in conduit after the flower bed (about 15 ft). Plus this was a 250ft plus run. Old system and old wire. I attempted to find the issue originally but could not. I determined direct burial 10GA was better IMO.

I am always open to suggestions that will help in the future though.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Glad things went well Jay!
Posted via Mobile Device