Register free!

Old 02-04-2015, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

trenching through rocky ground

as title states.. have a job in a few days that will challenging to say the least.. commercial site that's super rocky... on inspection today it looked like a stinking quarry. smaller rocks generally. less than 4" but some up to 8" or so. would you trench this with shark teeth or just excavate this all out with a mini? 12" bucket on mine... and how many ft per day can I get out of a mini with decent operator at 12" deep you think?
Old 02-05-2015, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Member

walkerway

Id think a couple miles, if you have a bobcat!!
Old 02-05-2015, 05:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

if its really bad, i do the mini with a small bucket, and mostly for the main line. we have a 9" bucket that works well in tighter spots with minimal overdig. in open areas, we can probably get 500 dug and backfilled. but i usually estimate less, around 300.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My first time operating a mini I did 350' going 3' deep and it took me about 9 hours. So I would say a experience guy should easily be able to do over 1000' in a full day at 1' deep.

GMC
John Deere
Wright
Toro
Echo
Old 02-05-2015, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecchio Lawn Care View Post
My first time operating a mini I did 350' going 3' deep and it took me about 9 hours. So I would say a experience guy should easily be able to do over 1000' in a full day at 1' deep.
Regardless less of experience, production is site specific and depends on cycle time, groundforce breakout and site conditions.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-06-2015, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Super rocky? How many feet wide and deep are the rocks?
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2015, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlawnservice View Post
as title states.. have a job in a few days that will challenging to say the least.. commercial site that's super rocky... on inspection today it looked like a stinking quarry. smaller rocks generally. less than 4" but some up to 8" or so. would you trench this with shark teeth or just excavate this all out with a mini? 12" bucket on mine... and how many ft per day can I get out of a mini with decent operator at 12" deep you think?
Save yourself a lot of headache and rent a rock saw. Sprinkus and I work extremely rocky ground on a daily basis. A mini ex would just make a huge mess. Generally we just use a chain trencher with shark teeth, but we do have saw attachments for all our mini skids.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-11-2015, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Rock saw isnt available anywhere around... the trench has shark/ cup combo chain. 70/30 I believe. I think it will do the trick.. this is a commercial site where they excavated alot of dirt/rock.. they are also bringing in 4-6" of good topsoil to cover what was already there and from there spoils of installing all the utilities. . So I shouldnt have to trench to deep in the old existing soil...I hope... lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-15-2015, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlawnservice View Post
Rock saw isnt available anywhere around... the trench has shark/ cup combo chain. 70/30 I believe. I think it will do the trick.. this is a commercial site where they excavated alot of dirt/rock.. they are also bringing in 4-6" of good topsoil to cover what was already there and from there spoils of installing all the utilities. . So I shouldnt have to trench to deep in the old existing soil...I hope... lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Just fyi, on a commercial site "4-6in of good top soil" translates to "just enough to paint the ground with it."
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-15-2015, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

TX

Which rock saw attachments are you using for your mini-skids? I have not found any and have been searching, but I have seen those for full size skid steers.