Register free!

Old 11-21-2014, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

little OT winterization of interior

I mow a property owned by Realty Income(a great gig btw) and they ordered a winterization of the interior of the building.

I am not trained for this. I have enough knowledge to look at plumbing and know what is what and how the system is plumbed. I own tools galore.

The 3 bids I got were all over $1200! Drain lines, set tstat, fill p-traps. Heat and electric will remain on. This bld is an old retail store, not very much plumbing. One bathroom, a small electric water heater, one hand sink, 3 floor drains. No exterior bibs.

So do I shut off the water at the main, open the water lines, drain the water heater and toilet, fill drains and traps with RV antifreeze and charge a grand for this?

I sub'd out the irrigation and it has already been blown and is set for winter.

Should I take this job on myself for a grand or should I pocket the $100 I would charge to sub it out and move on? I am in Iowa. I want the money.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twomancrew View Post
I mow a property owned by Realty Income(a great gig btw) and they ordered a winterization of the interior of the building.

I am not trained for this. I have enough knowledge to look at plumbing and know what is what and how the system is plumbed. I own tools galore.

The 3 bids I got were all over $1200! Drain lines, set tstat, fill p-traps. Heat and electric will remain on. This bld is an old retail store, not very much plumbing. One bathroom, a small electric water heater, one hand sink, 3 floor drains. No exterior bibs.

So do I shut off the water at the main, open the water lines, drain the water heater and toilet, fill drains and traps with RV antifreeze and charge a grand for this?

I sub'd out the irrigation and it has already been blown and is set for winter.

Should I take this job on myself for a grand or should I pocket the $100 I would charge to sub it out and move on? I am in Iowa. I want the money.
Winterizing is not hard, my parents do it for their cabin. If they can do it, you can. Problem is, you're not insured for it I'm sure. You don't have a plumbing license either. So that's really your call. This is a good account for you, what if something goes wrong? That's all id be concerned about.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-21-2014, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You do not drain an electric water heater until it shut off, preferably with some sort of lock-out.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

" Heat and electric will remain on"

Really? why winterize?
Old 11-21-2014, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do your self a favor , walk from this . Thats plumbers territory . If something goes wrong down the line , you will take the heat .
Old 11-23-2014, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdirrigation View Post
Do your self a favor , walk from this . Thats plumbers territory . If something goes wrong down the line , you will take the heat .
What he said. Our firm has a plumbing license to be able to set backflows, but I want no part of winterizing a building. That could turn into the most expensive $1000 invoice you ever wrote.