Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-02-2012, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanvliet View Post
Good job for a Thirsty Mate.
Once I drained it , I truck-assembled a new manifold and got the debris out by pulling the bonnets in all the zones, and with my special long-nose needle pliers, got the pebbles out of the valves and flushed the lines after removing the guts of the 1800 heads. Took some time. cost the client around $400.00, but, done. That was a hard repair; I had no room for unions, it was an assemble the repair piece, prime, glue, insert all at once in three places and hold your breath situation.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I hate those. $400 sounds low for that job.

We had this one a while ago, discovered it on a maintenance check. Cement truck crushed a 1.5" lateral and 3" main crossing the commons to pour a pool apron. Had to flush & clean the lines, spray heads and valves all the way down the line. Changed out a lot of nozzles too.

This one cost a lot more than $400.00 though.
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2012, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not always convenient I realize but after you flood a repair area do you ever contemplate letting it drain off or at least dry out some before coming back for the big dig? Course one doesn't know what they have until they get it partially dug so might as well finish it off I guess. When TX clay gets that slurry more time is spent on your knees cupping that mess out.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I hate those. $400 sounds low for that job
I neglected to mention, the County employees did all the excavation and backfill. I also had my trusty RM remote on the site for flushing, since the system had a master valve.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIMCO-MEISTER View Post
Not always convenient I realize but after you flood a repair area do you ever contemplate letting it drain off or at least dry out some before coming back for the big dig? Course one doesn't know what they have until they get it partially dug so might as well finish it off I guess. When TX clay gets that slurry more time is spent on your knees cupping that mess out.
We have a lot of coral rock, the water might sit for a long long time, specially if the ground is saturated.

I don't like to cup water out of a hole, that's why they make these; http://www.beckson.com/tmpumps.html

A worthy investment!
Old 01-03-2012, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
I neglected to mention, the County employees did all the excavation and backfill. I also had my trusty RM remote on the site for flushing, since the system had a master valve.
Ah, that makes a big difference we did all the excavation, backfill and re-sod. No remote on this system so it's a about a 1 mile ride back to the control station, radios and a man in the field.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
We have a lot of coral rock, the water might sit for a long long time, specially if the ground is saturated.

I don't like to cup water out of a hole, that's why they make these; http://www.beckson.com/tmpumps.html

A worthy investment!
I had one of those and the suck pump BEAR made. If the water has a bunch of gunk in it they clog up or lose the vacuum sometimes.

First thing I did to that beckson pump was to take a bunch of duct tape to it. Right at the hose connection and around the whole body. The body part to give the plastic some extra protection in case a shovel gets tossed on it in the truck or someone steps on it while its laying in the grass.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Quote:
I had one of those and the suck pump BEAR made. If the water has a bunch of gunk in it they clog up or lose the vacuum sometimes.

First thing I did to that beckson pump was to take a bunch of duct tape to it. Right at the hose connection and around the whole body. The body part to give the plastic some extra protection in case a shovel gets tossed on it in the truck or someone steps on it while its laying in the grass.
Shop Vac ring a bell?
Old 01-03-2012, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:

Duct tape, mans best friend!

Not too many problems with the "thirsty mate" I rigged a screen to it to keep the larger chunks of crap out of it. At worst, I have to clean the screen a couple of times.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
Shop Vac ring a bell?
Power isn't always available. We do carry a junk pump and a generator, but it's very heavy . We don't pull that stuff off the trailer unless we have to.

Shop Vac & a small generator makes sense though, I'll look into it. thanks for the idea.