Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-08-2013, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
True, but as you can see, this system was losing water, big time, even as I sat and fumed from the motor home. SOMEONE should have had the brass to call someone who knew the (ho ho) sprinkler guys. We walked the site weekly on all our large clients; if they complained, cone markers in the truck, pay your last bill and F**k you, by the way.
them bastardos
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-08-2013, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
My point was the sprinkler guys should depend on the mow crew to alert them to problems, they're on site more than we are. If it was a mall with a big box anchor tenant, I might have gone there, but, quite frankly, those dickwads get their yearly bonus off what they save off turf & irrigation.
I both agree and not agree. Dan is right, much as I hate to admit it, the irrigation guys should catch it, assuming they even have an "irrigation guy" and their contract allows for regular visits. If not, then someone does need to give someone the heads up. No saying someone didn't already give the appropriate person the heads up .... and they just aren't doing anything about it. That said, most mow and blow outfits that I have had the (dis)pleasure of working with generally wouldn't give a damn if it were leaking or not.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmikka View Post
Did you call local authorities?
Can i be anymore sacastic??? LOL
Old 01-08-2013, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmikka View Post
Can i be anymore sacastic??? LOL
You don't post enough to be anymore sarcastic than that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-08-2013, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

It's called The Genovese Effect . When everyone see's something wrong but does nothing about it.

Basically.. It's up to the irrigation guy for the repairs.. It's up to the property manager to get a hold of the irrigation guy on Emergencies ( No one can predict an emergency how can you be there to fix it lol) And it's up to everyday people like the mow and blow's to notify the property managers. Pretty simple really

So in this instance I think it's the blow job guys fault because he couldn't take a single second of extra energy in his life and participate in a good deed. ef that guy i'll punch his face
Old 01-08-2013, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
True, but as you can see, this system was losing water, big time, even as I sat and fumed from the motor home. SOMEONE should have had the brass to call someone who knew the (ho ho) sprinkler guys. We walked the site weekly on all our large clients; if they complained, cone markers in the truck, pay your last bill and F**k you, by the way.
True story....adjacent apartment complex to our largest hoa...
Drove by on saturday and noticed that a head was broken and valve likly stuck as water gushed down street and pooled...on return trip past 4 hours later same deal...got home called dad and discussed....he had already gone and discussed problem and offered to shut system off for free( HE LIVES NEAR THE COMPLEX)...
They told him to beat it as they had their own irrigation guy...
As it turned out, my brother later drove by without discussing with dad or me and asked them if they wanted him to shut off...same response...wtf?

It took their guy until Monday to shut it off.....

A year earlier,
I stopped at a hotel at 7pm at night to tell them their system had a stuck valve...beat it , we got our own guy...

My own dentist, same issue, stuck valve at 2pm, highly visible and illegal...he told me his guy was working on it and didn't want me to shut off...so it ran

A neighbor to our shop had timers that were on during the middle of day...his receptionist wouldn't let me reprogram the timer or talk to their boss.

Ima lawn guy and an irrigator...guess trying to be frieindly don't work...next time, I'll tell em it'll be 150 bucks emergency visits
2 Sears electric weedeaters
1 green machine electric leaf blower
1 sears articulating hedge trimmer-electric
2 50ft power cords
3 Leaf rakes
1 shovel
1 pocket knife
cooler for beer
lawn chair to enjoy a beer while I wait for the cash to be handed to me
Old 01-09-2013, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I forgot to mention, in my walk-thru I found the valve boxes: they said "Orbit" on the lids.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Member

This was done by the "competition"

Came across this one in the Fall. I especially like the "transparent, recycleable valve box" on the left. Not to mention the obvious.
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2013, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchgo View Post
It's called The Genovese Effect . When everyone see's something wrong but does nothing about it.

Basically.. It's up to the irrigation guy for the repairs.. It's up to the property manager to get a hold of the irrigation guy on Emergencies ( No one can predict an emergency how can you be there to fix it lol) And it's up to everyday people like the mow and blow's to notify the property managers. Pretty simple really

So in this instance I think it's the blow job guys fault because he couldn't take a single second of extra energy in his life and participate in a good deed. ef that guy i'll punch his face
I have this happen to us all the time. We had a main line let loose on a job a couple of weeks back. The thing ran all day and at 5:00 on a friday night I get a call from the PM saying that there is a big problem and the tenant noticed it that morning but didn't call until 10 minutes ago. A lot of people are just unaware and or stupid.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My wife hates these deals; she knows how pissed I get. I had found the PVB, and for a minute, thought about shutting it down, only to remember what I had drilled into my crews: "You touch it, you own it."