Register free!

Old 11-28-2010, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Member

That is actually part of the transmitter that sends a signal to the meter reading device.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
It is funny to see this because most systems I see around here are terrible. The pipes are

just below the surface with the heads sticking up high enough to be cut off by a mower. When

I was 18 years old I hand dug and installed a sprinkler system using leftover galvanized

pipe and heads from the trash and it still works perfectly to this day. At around 1993 I

installed a system in my parents front yard with PVC and T-bird R50 rotors from a dumpster

at an irrigation company. It was an excuse to try out the ditch witch V30 I had just rebuilt

and teach the coral rock a lesson. I went overboard and buried the main lines 3 feet down

with laterals 2 feet down. No funny pipe there, and some brass pop-ups as well as a few

quick couplers for specialty watering. Electric valves are brass and rebuilt from the

dumpster. Believe it or not none of the sprinklers have broken or needed service in 17

years. The irrigation boxes sold commercially looked cheap so I used a concrete pull box

with a cast iron cover salvaged from a traffic signal trash pile. I just added another zone

with drip irrigation for their potted plants ( parents are getting too old to remember to

water) so it was time to tap in. The controller is also homemade from a discarded fire alarm

panel. I was able to find the main pipe with one simple dig because the plan I made was

totally accurate. It was even easier as I had put a tee in place for this when I built it.

Now for the other story.

I did a favor to a family friend to help fix their broken sprinkler system. This was

installed by an actual irrigation contractor with a good reputation. After seeing my drip

irrigation job he wanted the same and offered to pay for my time and materials to make it

happen. He even had the plans for the system when it was installed 10 years ago! Trouble is

that none of the measurements fit the system and it turned into a treasure hunt in the yard.

Turns out the plans were nothing like the system and I had to guess where the pipes went.

Believe it or not some pipes were only 6 inches below grass surface. While cutting the pipe

I found loose joints on the nearest tee. Must have been poor pvc cement or something. The

funniest thing I found was one rotor with not enough flow had 10 feet of funny pipe! Since

he is going to have a paver driveway installed I replaced the main line from the pump. You

can see the old pipe to the left and the new one to the right. (Yes I am a cheapskate and

instead of primer I use acetone to prepare the pipe so there is no blue stuff) The old pipe

had a cracked fitting probably from being driven over and the lateral fitting was loose as

well. The whole system works fine now
Let me know if you are thinking of installing another system, I've got a bunch of old crap laying around in the back 40 I'd like to clean up; washing machines, old lawn mowers, tires, broken ladders, you know, the typical irrigation system stuff.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
rebuilt from the dumpster.
There ought to be a back-charge for waste of bandwidth, then maybe LAWNSITE could afford to buy us libations at I.A.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

you can make a swell barometric loop from old inner tubes.....
Old 11-28-2010, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

And if you only knew what I made my moisture sensors out of...LOL! I never knew it was a bad thing to have a MacGyver approved irrigation system. The main point was that even a system built from junk has outperformed some "professional" installations.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
And if you only knew what I made my moisture sensors out of...LOL! I never knew it was a bad thing to have a MacGyver approved irrigation system. The main point was that even a system built from junk has outperformed some "professional" installations.
Just because a "professional" built a system doesn't mean it is done right or is a quality build ..... in fact the opposite is true more times than not.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
MacGyver
Gee, did he have a t.v. series, too?
Old 11-28-2010, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

MacGuyver built his own Rainmaster controller from chewing gum and popsicle sticks.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

MacGuyver studied under the eminent sprinkler genius, Tom Swift, I believe.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Tom discovered the 24-volt valve solenoid from space garbage.
Attached Images