Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-14-2011, 07:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Most forclosures around here , a handy man could spend every weekend busy for the rest of his life.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
I see the Vision controller often enough here. Maybe one every other week. When ever I see the Vision controller on a new job, I expect Flow Pro valves.

When I see one I get the urge to pull the fuse and tell em its junk.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Inc View Post
Most forclosures around here , a handy man could spend every weekend busy for the rest of his life.
Very true, and this particular house could use quite a bit, from what I've seen. And actually I just looked it up online. Bought for 550k in '07 as a foreclosure. Showed 2010 market value as 675k. In a good housing market that house goes for 850-900k, more in good shape. It's probably one of those situations where they now have all their money in the house, and can't do much more.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've never understood the idea of being house broke. If a house isn't easily affordable then don't buy it. I've had realtors tell me oh you can qualify for so much more. I'll take the cheap home that costs me 10% of my monthly salary thank you very much.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIMCO-MEISTER View Post
easier money to be made that's for sure. Getting nickled and dimed on repairs when its one screwed up mess isn't how good profits are made. Great opportunity to do service work doesn't always equate with making good value for one's time.
That is a load of crap. If you are an irrigation service tech .... then you are being paid to service the system. Service the damn system, charge appropriately, and quit crying about it. If anything, as a service tech you stand to make a much higher profit margin keeping a crappy system running. If the client is clueless how much it is going to cost them to keep apply the "duct tape" then that is their loss. What's next? Refuse to replace a sprinkler because you might get dirt under your fingernails?

Giving ultimatums to clients is extremely unprofessional. Bottom line, if you don't want the job cause you might skin your knuckles or get dirt under your fingernails then perhaps being a service tech ain't the right job for ya.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

He doesn't want the job because the system sucks big time and the people don't want to spend the money necessary to fix it properly. Has nothing to do with scratched knuckles. We aren't in the charity business.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
If they are willing to pay, I am willing to upgrade. I am not going to be continuously running back for a seeping FloPro. They turned the system off mid season last year due to water bill of $700 one month, and $1000 the next. I had three seeping valves today. No way they will be redoing the entire system, at least in one year. I am going to propose for this year, replacing all the valves, and change to one controller - preferably exterior. Redesign the zones next year. Their turf is crap right now anyway, dirt in some areas.
This sounds like a damn reasonable start. No avoiding dirty nails here......
Old 04-14-2011, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIMCO-MEISTER View Post
He doesn't want the job because the system sucks big time and the people don't want to spend the money necessary to fix it properly. Has nothing to do with scratched knuckles. We aren't in the charity business.
Really Pete ..... sounds to me like a whole lot of whining. And who said anything about working for free? I said service the damn system and charge appropriately. If the job is a PITA .... then your rates just went up.

......... not about scratched knuckles?

Quote:
Going back every other week to repair a seeping or stuck valve, and busting my hands up due to too many valves in a box, is not my idea of easy money or a "cash cow".
Keep turning down jobs because they are PITA and you may find yourself out of work.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Keep turning down jobs because they are PITA and you may find yourself out of work.
They're all a PITA. That's why people are willing to pay us to do the fixin'.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm having a great week and this is a ridiculous quick to judge discussion. Please feel free my fellow forum members to take this baton from me.