Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-14-2011, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
Hey! I just learned how to multi-quote! An old dog can learn something on his own I guess. It might take 10 years, but he can do it.
I'm afraid if I learned how, I'd become another Kiril.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
That is a load of crap. If you are an irrigation service tech .... then you are being paid to service the system. Service the damn system, charge appropriately, and quit crying about it. If anything, as a service tech you stand to make a much higher profit margin keeping a crappy system running. If the client is clueless how much it is going to cost them to keep apply the "duct tape" then that is their loss. What's next? Refuse to replace a sprinkler because you might get dirt under your fingernails?

Giving ultimatums to clients is extremely unprofessional. Bottom line, if you don't want the job cause you might skin your knuckles or get dirt under your fingernails then perhaps being a service tech ain't the right job for ya.
I never know which bi-polar version of Kiril is going to show up here on LS. Service the system? Cash Cow? But anything installed like that isn't sustainable! Not even with an unsustainable cash flow. It's a cobbled POS and flo-pros too? First HO that couldn't make the payments took the cheap. Second HO that still couldn't make the payments didn't maintain it. FORECLOSURE HO is a cash cow? Well, I did good a good laugh reading this
....but still a bargain compared to anything else.
And I NEVER say I told you so out loud.
How many Hats can you wear?
Old 04-14-2011, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicmudpuppy View Post
I never know which bi-polar version of Kiril is going to show up here on LS. Service the system? Cash Cow? But anything installed like that isn't sustainable! Not even with an unsustainable cash flow. It's a cobbled POS and flo-pros too? First HO that couldn't make the payments took the cheap. Second HO that still couldn't make the payments didn't maintain it. FORECLOSURE HO is a cash cow? Well, I did good a good laugh reading this
WOW .... nice way to take my posts out of context Bic.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post

Keep turning down jobs because they are PITA and you may find yourself out of work.
Plenty of decent systems to work on. Yes a total POS system may be a cash cow, but most are not enjoyable to work on.12-13-14 hr days in a seasonal area are quite common , and too long of days to spend pissed off.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Cleaning poison ivy out of an acre of asian jasmine is a cash cow too.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Inc View Post
Plenty of decent systems to work on. Yes a total POS system may be a cash cow, but most are not enjoyable to work on.12-13-14 hr days in a seasonal area are quite common , and too long of days to spend pissed off.
If all the systems were top of the line installs, there wouldn't hardly be anything to do. You are in the service business after all ... and by nature you will be working on POS systems the vast majority of the time. So what do you do when you see a POS system ..... give the client an ultimatum? What a load of bullshiit. If a contractor gave me an ultimatum, I would tell him to go f**k himself and show him the door. In a business where word of mouth and reputation is everything .... do you think it is a good idea to be handing out ultimatums to clients?

If you are going to get pissed off at every POS system you work on, then you are going to spend your work life pissed off. If that is the case .... then I point you to my initial comment ..... maybe Dana is right, and he isn't cut out for this line of work.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

When it comes to craptastic systems, you still want to be in sync with homeowners on a plan to bring a system up to date. Some are going to be too cheap to ever make up their minds to improve a system.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
When it comes to craptastic systems, you still want to be in sync with homeowners on a plan to bring a system up to date. Some are going to be too cheap to ever make up their minds to improve a system.
i am in 100% agreement with you on this point.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I can (reluctantly) go along with keeping a system continuing to be functional, and not a whole lot more, as long as the backflow protection is up to code. That lets me off the worst of the worst.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I focus on the system first and the backflow last.