Register free!

Old 07-26-2011, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwc View Post
Typical hack answer. Underperforming, malfunctioning, incorrecrly installed, non head to head shooting, non pressure regulated......Blame it on the yard whacker!
Posted via Mobile Device
Sorry to have upset you...

Of course its improperly installed and throwing some sand around or a donut is the typical solution as opposed to setting it to grade to begin with.
Happens a lot in the patch... the blame game goes on forever: the lawn guy blames the irrigation guy for the brown patches, the patches are caused by insects/pathogens and over/under watering so the irrigation guy blames the lawn guy and nobody tells the customer to increase/reduce his water and treat for pests or pathogens... and on and on.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

didn't mean you are a hack, just sounds like an answer a hack would give.

If a underground irrigation system is properly installed and functioning properly, the lawn guy will NEVER damage the system. The problem is Johnny Homeowner usually never does routine maintenance and upkeep on the irrigation system and as it ages, something breaks. Then he calls up the irr. guy and wants it fixed as cheap as possible so corners are cut, then the mowing guy gets the blame for the broken equipment and poor performance.

A irrigation system is like all other mechanical systems....it requires maintenance and WILL eventually break.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

dwc: It's always your fault... otherwise I'd have accept responsibility
Old 07-29-2011, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I didn't want to start a new thread about this, so I stuck it here. This is one of the neighborhood yogis. A neighbor took the photo today. He was once again going through my property on his usual walk (not my property in the photo). Lady across the street was getting the newspaper at the end of the driveway and it was slowly walking her way, coming from around the house. I've seen him once so far this season.
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2011, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Scary stuff!

Are they as hostile and rapacious as alligators?
Old 07-29-2011, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_wheat View Post
Scary stuff!

Are they as hostile and rapacious as alligators?
Not USUALLY hostile. They are black bears, not browns (grizzlies). But there have been a few attacks through the state recently. Mainly when people don't know what they are doing and they leave food all around camp or wear clothes in the tent that are covered in food smells. The two we have go through trash, and stole food out of a freezer in a garage on Monday when the garage door was left up.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

meh, It depends on there mood
Old 07-29-2011, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinkus View Post
Hope they never decide to aerate the lawn on this one.
I aerated a lawn with a system similar to this. Going along and all of a sudden the system came on. Ran inside to shut the controller off and found it not operating. (I had flagged the heads)

Ended up shutting it off after moving the cars that were parked over the covers to the pits where the shutoffs were located.

Then they called and said their lighting along the sidewalk wasn't working. So apparently the idiots that didn't install the irrigation wiring deep enough must have run the wiring for the lights.

Stupid yard hacks.....
Old 07-29-2011, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
Not USUALLY hostile. They are black bears, not browns (grizzlies). But there have been a few attacks through the state recently. Mainly when people don't know what they are doing and they leave food all around camp or wear clothes in the tent that are covered in food smells. The two we have go through trash, and stole food out of a freezer in a garage on Monday when the garage door was left up.
We've been reading a lot about black bear attacks on humans... mostly North on the panhandle and GA.

To the gators, we ARE food. Dipwads on the water like to feed the ducks; gators like ducks too; ducks disappear, doggies disappear and trapper John has to show up with his gator trapping rig, a noose and a roll of duct tape.

If I have to go into the water to clean canal filters, I charge a lot extra, 1st water is filthy 2nd its dangerous.

Old man told me bring along a waterproof bag of marshmallows. Gators will go for what they see moving. If I see one moving towards you (and I have, only one thank God) throw a marshmallow away from you to the center of the lake and make sure he can see it, he'll go for the marshmallow and when he does keep your eye on him while you move to shore.

Another man told me "throw poop at it", I asked him "where am I going to find poop?" He said "just reach into your drawers, it'll be there"

This one was caught in Brevard County's Lake Washington on Sunday night it was 14 feet, 3 1/2 inches.
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2011, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I spent a winter in Brevard county, working on Patrick air base and drinking at Brasys in Cocoa beach