Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-03-2011, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Without A Drought View Post
12" rotors gets the job done. not ideal, but in service we can't always rebuild the whole system.
This will work... until the bushes are 13".

All kidding aside most home builders have had it done wrong enough times that they are willing to pay a little more to get it done right.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Have the gardener cut the bushes lower.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:05 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Some odd suggestions you guys have?

A quick fix for the time being is to just lean the heads back a bit..

I would quote him out to convert the zone to a spray zone.... Look how small of a area that is.. Rotors are designed to shoot 30' for a reason. Just move the heads to the grass, add a couple more lawn sprays and add a couple 1812's for the shrubs. done in a few hours work.

hydrozoning in a area this small is pointless and not cost effective nor justiable in any kind of water savings when dealing with an Existing system
Old 09-03-2011, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

move the heads, have them lap back into the bushes or add a new zone

Since 1994
www.kosterirrigation.com
Old 09-03-2011, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchgo View Post
Some odd suggestions you guys have?

A quick fix for the time being is to just lean the heads back a bit..

I would quote him out to convert the zone to a spray zone.... Look how small of a area that is.. Rotors are designed to shoot 30' for a reason. Just move the heads to the grass, add a couple more lawn sprays and add a couple 1812's for the shrubs. done in a few hours work.

hydrozoning in a area this small is pointless and not cost effective nor justiable in any kind of water savings when dealing with an Existing system
An inspector would hang us for that where I am located.

And tilting heads is a hack move, the turf area is already small and it would cause the heads to overspray and kill uniformity.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txirrigation View Post

And tilting heads is a hack move, the turf area is already small and it would cause the heads to overspray and kill uniformity.
You have inspectors that come out after you work on Existing systems? Really?
So say the customer has one shrub that needs to be watered and there is a lawn zone next to it. You really won't adjusted the lawn zone to hit the shrub or make any kind of adjustments such as adding a spray head, mp, drip?? Your going to tell the customer it's going to cost $xxx to add a zone , install 300' of piping to wrap around the house because it HAS to be hydrozoned or the inspector will murder you?

I'm all for perfection on your own install, but when your working on an existing hack system to begin with.. Were not miracle workers dude

The plant looks like an a Azalea or a boxwood

And what are you talking about uniformity? Look at it now lol . In my opinion ( Any can back this up?) The more you dial down a rotor, the more you are disrupting it's DU .
I said leaning the heads back as a temp solution until it gets fixed . How is that hack? I mean you were only scheduled there to come out and repair a broken sprinkler head the homeowner chopped up with the lawn mower on another zone and you then you ran through the rest of the system to ensure everything is working properly.. So your saying your going to stay there for the rest of the day and charge the guy half a leg to fix this for him with out his approval because anything else to do is considered hack?

Last edited by mitchgo; 09-03-2011 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
The more you dial down a rotor, the more you are disrupting it's DU .
I agree completely, it's like in the music business if you have to use a equalizer to modify the sound, you've most prolly picked the wrong microphone!
Old 09-03-2011, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
You have inspectors that come out after you work on Existing systems? Really?
So say the customer has one shrub that needs to be watered and there is a lawn zone next to it. You really won't adjusted the lawn zone to hit the shrub or make any kind of adjustments such as adding a spray head, mp, drip?? Your going to tell the customer it's going to cost $xxx to add a zone , install 300' of piping to wrap around the house because it HAS to be hydrozoned or the inspector will murder you?

I'm all for perfection on your own install, but when your working on an existing hack system to begin with.. Were not miracle workers dude

The plant looks like an a Azalea or a boxwood

And what are you talking about uniformity? Look at it now lol . In my opinion ( Any can back this up?) The more you dial down a rotor, the more you are disrupting it's DU .
I said leaning the heads back as a temp solution until it gets fixed . How is that hack? I mean you were only scheduled there to come out and repair a broken sprinkler head the homeowner chopped up with the lawn mower on another zone and you then you ran through the rest of the system to ensure everything is working properly.. So your saying your going to stay there for the rest of the day and charge the guy half a leg to fix this for him with out his approval because anything else to do is considered hack?
It is a model home. That means it is in an area of new construction, with inspectors crawling around everywhere.

Trust me, I see where you are coming from on this. Most people around here would mount the rotor on a 12" schd 80 riser and call it good.

If I did not have to worry about an inspector coming out I would convert all the rotors to MP's to lower the GPM on the zone, move the truf MP's out to the edge of the bed. Then add some shurb sprays in the beds, all to run on the same zone.

The fact someone used rotors in that area is bad enough to begin with, no reason to keep making it more ghetto just because it wasnt good to start with.

Also- we dont have to wrap 300' of pipe around the house. We dont manifold systems, which means we have a pressurized main that runs around the house. If that system was here all you would have to do is tap into the main line, run about 10' of pipe to the bed and your done.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by txirrigation View Post
What's an "inspector"?
Old 09-03-2011, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
What's an "inspector"?
I always thought it would be cool, in retirement, to become a "water cop". I soon realized my remains would be buried next to Jimmy Hoffa.