Register free!

Old 10-31-2010, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Small project from this summer

The majority of our work is concrete flat work, but we scored this project this summer and i really enjoyed it. the homeowners were very good to work with and allowed us to just get creative and basically gave us the reins to design and install.

so go ahead and critique away
Attached Images

Old 11-01-2010, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Member

think it looks great.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Member

"so go ahead and critique away "

Why is the wood step in the pavers?

A cabinet would have looked good and been useful under the grill.

The caps on the wall were not cut well. There is a trick to making the caps look good on a curve.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Oh boy another mason playing paver installer. Just kidding, but the cuts are funny as mentioned. What brand block is that?
Old 11-03-2010, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nice looking job, but I am also curious about the wooden step that looks to be buried. Did you just fill against it?
Old 11-03-2010, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

looks good.

block inside firepit doesnt look fire rated. becareful the concrete can deteriate quickly.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We debated over the steps, i was in favor of removing the lower step. the way that the steps were constructed would have basically required completely taking them down and rebuilding, so we rolled the fabric up the step and made it flush. the lower step was previously flush to the grass and was constructed with treated lumber, it wont last forever but maybe in 10 years when the deck is ready to be replaced an elevated patio will be in its place.

The block is eagle bay (anchor wall), it has a good price point, there are a few things that i would prefer to be different about their products and specifically the wall caps. to my knowledge they do not make a 13" wide SQUARE cap faced on 2 sides, the 13" caps faced on 2 sides are shaped with angles on each end so you flip every other cap to do straight run. Needless to say if you need less of a radius than their pre-cuts are designed for (typical) you waste TONS of material.on the last project i used the thicker square cut caps and cut each block uniformly after determining the amount of material to remove from each block by using the "TRICK" . the owners were very pleased and on site it looks good, i think you pick it up in that picture because of the angle. the funny cuts you are seeing is typically 2 factory cuts lined opposing to match the lower radius.

i would love to hear of a better way to do radius's with the anchor wall products and caps! i really wanted to use blue stone similar to the grill and well enclosure but it was cost prohibitive.

the fire pit is piped for gas, so it will be controlled and elevated to just about the top of the coping stones

better a concrete man installing pavers than a landscaper, after all it is a concrete product actually we have installed many jobs over the last 7 years both walls and pavers,
Old 11-05-2010, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

One other thing, on the grill we will be adding to the left side with a sink and under counter storage, we omitted under the grill because of the utilities, there is an access for them on the back.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Looks great. I like the combination of the wood and pavers. The design is simple and not overdone. I dont like patios that are over done. I would have not done the firepit at all. Simple is best. A simple cas iron or brass pit with cast iron chairs around it is what i would have done. But i love the lines. One of the best ones i have seen on this site because many are too over done in my opinion. Good job.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 11-05-2010, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by punt66 View Post
Looks great. I like the combination of the wood and pavers. The design is simple and not overdone. I dont like patios that are over done. I would have not done the firepit at all. Simple is best. A simple cas iron or brass pit with cast iron chairs around it is what i would have done. But i love the lines. One of the best ones i have seen on this site because many are too over done in my opinion. Good job.
funny thing is that was the whole reason for the patio from the homeowners perspective this whole area was landscaped with a small fish pond previously and they wanted a "fire pit"

thanks for the feed back to all and constructive comments