Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-31-2010, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

the craziness begins...

has hanging lights for the past 7 weeks gotten us ready for tomorrow? maybe? I would say we are more ready than we have ever been with 4 returning guys from last season. 2 crew foremen are multiple year returners. but the third and fourth crew leaders new leaders this year, and they are on thier 2nd year with us, having helped on crews last year.

I don't know if you can ever truly be ready to split up your guys into seperate crews until you actually do it. the first few days of november stuff always seems to get forgotten and left at shop, tools and magic boxes disappear, etc.

The first few days I try not to book any appointments in the morning until around 11 when the hand holding is usually done on the new guys. after a few days the trucks are usually loaded with everything they might need for the season.

the good news is weather is looking really sweet for the next 10 days, lows in the 40's and highs in the 60's. no rain predicted. hopefully, we should get alot done.

you guys making a big launch tomorrow?
Old 11-01-2010, 07:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I start hanging if not the end of this week then the beginning of next. All of a sudden finally heard from renewals, about 1000 in add on so far, two estimates scheduled, only 2 renewals left, have reached out twice so far, one more shot and then just keep going.

First round of direct mail hit and phone rang, second is due in 2 weeks, third right behind it. Hoping for 10-20 new clients. More lawn signs going out this weekend.
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Multiple trailers, hand tools and smaller stuff
A son to teach the value of life, business and honor
Old 11-01-2010, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

2nd crew was supposed to start today but had a scheduling hiccup and will start them tomorrow.

Really hoping to land a couple of the commercial jobs we have estimated so we can put a 3rd crew out there but that is just wishfull thinking at this point.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Started today, two and half rehangs done. Finish last half of the rehang tomorrow and start 2 new one also tomorrow, one of which I sold today 120 Ln ft on 1 story ranch, great! All five jobs are on the same street. We ran 5 guys today including my self. 2 guys are from last year including my ladder/ roof guy, but he is gone at noon. If scheduled right should work well, knock out roofs first, and he is gone. Also 2 new guys working on training one to do ladder work and one a tree guy. My other old guy is great at garlands, I feel comfortable with him drilling and fluffing, makes me wonder what he did in the past.

After this week I will feel good about leaving the site. The next 2 weeks are full 6 days each, with a mix of new and rehangs, 20 plus jobs, everything sold to this point will be up by Thanksgiving leaving December for a few rehangs, restaurants, and new work.

Elves and Company - Holiday Decorating
Old 11-01-2010, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

well really havent been on top of my rehangs like I should have. I have heard back from a few but will need to do some calling tomorrow. Sold about $2000 worth of add-ons so far. Have about $1000 in new sold with the direct mailers doing well so have two appointments on wednesday. We wont start hanging until next week sometime. Door hangers should be here by Friday and yard signs the same. I ordered them late should of had them already. I have a big order made up for HBL but havent ordered yet. mainly c9 cord, jumper cords, add ons, and extension cords. Might wait until after my two appointments on wednesday to see if they sign before I order. So far all is going well.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Member

First day doing lights!!! I love it! Started to sleet when doing lights today!
Old 11-05-2010, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

we are clicking along, 3 crews running tomorrow, but trying to work everybody late and give everybody sunday off to rest. 84 jobs still need to go up as of the end of today by thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is Nov 25th this year, so we officially have 18 working days left if you do not count this sunday to get those done. we have to average better than 5 per day done to add any new jobs this year. that is a tight schedule even if we get no rain.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Holiday Lighting has really become popular over the last few years. I see craigslist ads for it constantly. Seems everyone is starts the first week of November
Old 11-07-2010, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

all my competitors do. we start Sept 13. having the trucks running with full graphics sells jobs early.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device