Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-01-2010, 01:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ford LCF vs Isuzu NPR

Hi all, I'm looking to switch to a diesel cab over style truck for next year and was wondering if anybody had any insight into the Ford LCF and/or the Isuzu NPR. I can't seem to find much info on the Ford but I've seen a few for sale and they seem to be less expensive than for a comparable NPR.

I'm hoping to go with a 10-12' staked flat bed or dump bed hopefully 2005 or newer. Any user experience would be greatly appreciated regarding either model including; mpg, durability, parts availability, maintenance, running costs, etc.

Thanks
Old 11-01-2010, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I don't have any longterm experience with either. Used a little Isuzu (don't recall the model) maybe 12 years ago for a extended weekend; I found it a little lacking in the oomph department, but still very capable, highly maneuverable unit. Isuzu has been a leader, if not the leader, in COE light and medium trucks for quite some time. Chances are you don't get that way by accident. The Ford LCF, which is no longer offered by Ford, was a rebadged International CityStar which also seems to be a well-spec'd, and supported, truck from a highly respected truck manufacturer. I wouldn't think you could go wrong with either.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Isuzu is a time proven truck/diesel. I would be very cautious on buying an iternational light duty diesel. The 6 & 6.4 had some serious issues going? Not sure what the deal is now-days?
Old 11-01-2010, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would look harder at the Isuzu than the LCF. The Isuzu offers more options- automatic or manual, GVWR from 12K to 19K, a crew cab in some models, even a gas engine if you are so inclined.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Member

GMC/Isuzu is a far more proven truck they have been on the market for a lot longer than any other brand besides Hino. If Hino still made cab overs for the North American market it would be my first choice.

The easiest option is GMC Isuzu the next would be a Mitsu other than that I would stay away from International LCF.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a ford LCF and have not had much trouble with it .(35000 mls)
The truck is heavier then the mets or the isuzu heavy frame breaks front end parts .
I pull 10 /14,000lb trailer with no problems.
The icf is much cheaper then the other 2 trucks .
Ford has been having more luck with there heavy trucks and buses .
John
Old 11-07-2010, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellbuilt View Post
I have a ford LCF and have not had much trouble with it .(35000 mls)
The truck is heavier then the mets or the isuzu heavy frame breaks front end parts .
I pull 10 /14,000lb trailer with no problems.
The icf is much cheaper then the other 2 trucks .
Ford has been having more luck with there heavy trucks and buses .
John
It's nice to hear from someone with actual experience. I've been leaning towards an LCF because as you say they are far cheaper. A comparable NPR in price to the Fords I've seen have double or triple the miles and are much older.

I'm only going to be pulling a smallish (7x14/16) trailer with it but am moving about 30 miles out of town and my gas truck only gets about 11mpg. I was hoping to improve on this with a diesel cab over. In your experience, has the truck been a good investment as far as cost of ownership (mpg, insurance, maintenance, etc.) compared to its capabilities?
Old 11-08-2010, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Go over the lcf very carefully. There are a bunch of duds in that run and ford is not standing behind them. We have one and it's constantly overheating, eating though fan belts and all ford can say is "it's within spec.". Other than these problems I love the truck but of the 2 years we've had it (new) it's been in the shop for 2 months.... Ford doesn't see a problem with that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-10-2010, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Brandon's over heating problem is a problem with the lcf but mine has been fine with that .
I slid into a rock at 5MPH and broke my dip stick front bumper and drivers side step bummer the truck was 4 months old .
Then i was having a problem with the battery's dieing ford said . It is in spec no problem .
I figure the truck was sitting on the lot for ever and the battery's froze and where week when i bought it . No big deal
Then the ALT dies 3 days out of warranty 600 bucks latter im back on the road . Im pissed They should have comped me the repair since ive had battery issues since new . No big deal im over it .

The fuel line broke off on the engine block after 1 1/2years The truck us toed and fixed under warranty Thank god

Then the truck was hit in the rear Axel @ 50 mph. bummer .
The rear Axel was bent and i need a new rim & rear spring .
It took 2 weeks to get the parts. bummer .

The next thing was the front tires tore the belts up and came apart with 35000 miles on them .
I think the alignment could be out but i thru new rubber on the front and will keep a eye on them .

I think the problem is with ford not the truck .
The LCF has to be repaired at a heavy truck dealer with the f650s) and up so dealer are limited here .
Parts ? every time i need some thing ford tells me the part is not in this county ? WTF I dont want to hear that . The part comes in a few days ? My truck was 31000 dollars even money trade for my F 350 .
I really liked the limits 4x4 but its only 14500 gvw and 60000 bucks'

I get about 10mpg around town and 15 /16 on the hi-way empty or pulling 10,000lbs
Pulling 14000lbs around town the mileage really drops off to 7/8 mpg may be less ?
I pull a dump trailer @ 3500lbs empty and the truck doesn't even feel it .
I dont think the lcf will give me 200,000 trouble free mils like the F 250 350 did in the past but it should go 100,000 +

30 mils in a dump is kind ofa long and bumpy ride . Ive had guys get sea sick on the hi-way . bring pukkkkk bags.
John
Old 11-10-2010, 05:08 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

2011 will be my 9th year running my npr diesel, very little problems over 75000 miles & i work this truck hard year round!