Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-10-2010, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you need HP then get the NQR or FRR version with the 6 cylinder.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

So far it sounds like the Fords are cheaper for a reason. I'm still considering a 3/4 or 1 ton truck with a dump bed or insert but they're so expensive compared to the cab overs. I know you get more power but I like the idea of having a cab over with a 10-12' bed on the back. Gives me more options and capabilities come leaf season and on landscaping jobs.

Thanks for all the input, I'm going to keep my eyes peeled over the winter for an Isuzu.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by f50lvr2 View Post
So far it sounds like the Fords are cheaper for a reason. I'm still considering a 3/4 or 1 ton truck with a dump bed or insert but they're so expensive compared to the cab overs. I know you get more power but I like the idea of having a cab over with a 10-12' bed on the back. Gives me more options and capabilities come leaf season and on landscaping jobs.

Thanks for all the input, I'm going to keep my eyes peeled over the winter for an Isuzu.
Here are some websites to check for trucks.
http://www.trucker.com/Trucks.aspx?make=isuzu
http://www.truckpaper.com/default.as...16ce48ff40f0eb
http://www.usedtruckstogo.com/home.html
http://www.truckertotrucker.com/truc...uzu-trucks.cfm
Old 11-10-2010, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasracer View Post
There's an FRR for sale near me with a dump bed. I've been struggling to find info on them. What I have found on them they look to have only about 20hp and 20lbft more power. Being a much larger engine I'm guessing the mpg would be considerably worse, but again have no experience on this issue.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by f50lvr2 View Post
There's an FRR for sale near me with a dump bed. I've been struggling to find info on them. What I have found on them they look to have only about 20hp and 20lbft more power. Being a much larger engine I'm guessing the mpg would be considerably worse, but again have no experience on this issue.
The 6 cylinder is about 275 hp and the 4 cylinder is 175-190 hp
Old 11-11-2010, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasracer View Post
Per the 2011 literature, the NQR is the 5.2 four-banger. The entire N-series is only available with the 4 cylinder; the F-series has the 6. If you're looking at used, I don't know what year the change might have occurred.

Also, the F-series lit off their site, despite this being almost 2011 now, is dated 2008, and doesn't mention an FRR model, only FTR, FVR, and FXR. Is the FRR a discontinued, or the new, model?

Last edited by dbear; 11-11-2010 at 09:23 AM.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbear
Per the 2011 literature, the NQR is the 5.2 four-banger. The entire N-series is only available with the 4 cylinder; the F-series has the 6. If you're looking at used, I don't know what year the change might have occurred.
You may have missed that the N-series 4 cylinder is actually a bigger engine than the Ford V6. It also virtually the same power specs as the Ford V6. I had to laugh at the poster earlier who thought that his LCF was a much better truck than the Isuzu, then he went on in a later post about all the problems he has had with the truck. On the other hand I've talked to a lot of guys running Isuzus and Mitsubishis and they all have said they are very reliable and hold up year after year under hard daily use.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had to laugh at the poster earlier who thought that his LCF was a much better truck than the Isuzu, then he went on in a later post about all the problems he has had with the truck. On the other hand I've talked to a lot of guys running Isuzus and Mitsubishis and they all have said they are very reliable and hold up year after year under hard daily use.[/QUOTE]

There is nothing to laugh about .
I did not post that my truck ( LCF) was much better then the Isuzus / mitsu I just said the LCF looked to be heaver built Tires, breaks , front end .
I would have bought a 4x4 mitsu If it wasnt twice the price with less capacity .
As far a the repairs most of them are no fault of the truck.
Its bad luck on my part .
I was just trying to give a fellow poster a some honest feed back .
Excuse me . John
Old 11-14-2010, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosejockey2002 View Post
You may have missed that the N-series 4 cylinder is actually a bigger engine than the Ford V6. It also virtually the same power specs as the Ford V6. I had to laugh at the poster earlier who thought that his LCF was a much better truck than the Isuzu, then he went on in a later post about all the problems he has had with the truck. On the other hand I've talked to a lot of guys running Isuzus and Mitsubishis and they all have said they are very reliable and hold up year after year under hard daily use.
Yeah, I hadn't looked too closely at the Ford/Navi specs. Another one I'd seriously consider would be UD, especially the 1800 and up, as the specs look pretty good on, and I've heard good things about, those too.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey everybody, thanks for the input and advice. I finally landed on an '07 Isuzu NPR HD. Automatic/diesel with a 12' landscape dump bed. Basically exactly what I was wanting, even has pw/pl, cruise, ac, and only 27k original miles.

Just got it home late tonight so I'll try to get some pics up in the next couple of days. Just a quick question for NPR owners. On the drive home at 60mph the revs were right at 2500rpm. This seemed pretty high to me and it only got 11mpg (flat ground no real wind). Pressing the overdrive button did nothing. Is that the normal rev range for that or is it not getting into a final overdrive. Other than that everything seems to be in order.